drivera

windows how to "find within note" todo/checkbox?

how to "find within note" todo/checkbox?

dont want to do anything special with checkboxes, just want to find them within a single note like you can for text within a single note.

see image: post-47653-0-73262300-1355440145_thumb.p

notice how it counts how many instances of the found items? how can this be done/what is the syntax to find checkboxes/todo items?

I put checkboxes at the top of my notes for fast visibility and use the search term:

todo:false

• Like 1

thank you jbenson2, but iwas not talking about using the search box, but rather the find within note function when you hit ctrl-f

No way that I know of -- in-note find is text only as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

More generally, is there any way to search for todo checkboxes and just display a list of the text associated with the checkboxes? Rather than the current todo:false which just lists every note which contains an unchecked box.

More generally, is there any way to search for todo checkboxes and just display a list of the text associated with the checkboxes? Rather than the current todo:false which just lists every note which contains an unchecked box.

Not in the Evernote client, no. You might check the Trunk for third-party programs that do so, but I don't know of any.

Seems odd that contextual search like "find the next unchecked checkbox" is not supported.  This question going back to 2012 remains unanswered unless you consider "cant do it" an answer.

I'll also offer a +1 for this feature. 

I put todo items in my notes and have a search that shows me a list of all notes with unchecked boxes.

I like being able to have my todos in the context of the meeting I'm taking notes on, for instance.

Or to have the todo in a note with all the related emails, web pages and comments that I'm gathered so far to carry out the todo action.

So I want to be able to search for notes with unchecked boxes ( I can do this) and then within the note search for the unchecked box to see the details of what I need to do next. Often a note where I record the outcomes of a recurring meeting will have many checked boxes for completed todos and a few unchecked boxes for the uncompleted ones. I'd like to be able to find the unchecked ones without scanning the note visually.

I too would love to be able to search within a note for unchecked todo boxes.

Instead I use "[_]" and "[X]" for unchecked and checked todo boxes.  This way I CAN search within a note for things that remain undone! ;)