(Archived) Using Business Account with Free Account

I am considering opening a business account for myself. My employees are working with the free accounts. Is there a way for them to still enter notes that I would be able to access through my business account? And would any business notebooks that I contribute to be available to our network of free accounts?

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums. Business accounts are pretty new here, so you won't find a huge amount of practical experience around, and - all due respect - if you're considering setting up a business-critical system you should really do your own due diligence by trialling a business account with a couple of colleagues to see what's possible. Generally speaking, what you want to do is possible, though complicated. It would be easily possible if all your employees also had business accounts - see the Evernote details for costings etc. If you want to restrict employees to free accounts, you can share notebooks but they can't change them. Not sure whether you business notebooks could be shared with a free account holder - you'd have to experiment to check that one out.

We're a small business, so we're being cost conscientious about opening business accounts. I've scoured the Evernote website, user guidelines, help sections...but I cannot find anything conclusive about how business-free account relationships work. The toll free number I found only takes me to a billing operator. Before I begin switching things around with the notebooks, I would like to know what I'm getting myself into.

• Level 5*

More experience may be along to comment later - we're a user forum, and as I said it's a relatively new product - although Evernote use the Business client themselves and it's a development of the Premium model with extra bells and whistles so there shouldn't be any surprises. Real world user experience is a bit thin on the ground as yet.

If you don't already have a Premium account you can upgrade a free account for a month or so to run some tests, and upgrade that or cancel the subscription depending on the outcome. I suggest you start a test setup with a Premium account and see how the sharing process works for you. Sharing notebooks should be exactly the same for Premium as with a Business account. You won't have the extra tools to provide more accounts for new employees, and you'll have to adjust the sharing to add new permissions.. The major unknown is how the Business Notebooks work with free acounts - in Premium you can share a notebook and allow another prem user to edit the content. Free users can only read notes.

Can anyone else comment on whether that's also the case with a Business Account? I'd imagine it is..

Archived