Change the Date Created - Iphone, ipad or windows chrome

Hello,

Alot of times you update your evernote a day or two after the event, I see people are able to change the date but all the instructions seem to be outdated because they screenshots look nothing like the screen on my iphone, my ipad, or the windows laptop I'm using. Can someone please explain and show screen shots on how to do this on any of my devices? I opened a note and can see the date created, I click edit and the dates disappear and only tags can be edited. It would seem that would be a great place to let you edit it. So that leads me to believe there is either some serious design flaws for the user interface or something or they intentionally are blocking it now?

I am a free user, so wondering if that was blocked on free accounts now or if it is just hidden somewhere crazy. Thanks.

post-115427-0-93828900-1355220461_thumb.

post-115427-0-03441000-1355220465_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hello,

Alot of times you update your evernote a day or two after the event, I see people are able to change the date but all the instructions seem to be outdated because they screenshots look nothing like the screen on my iphone, my ipad, or the windows laptop I'm using. Can someone please explain and show screen shots on how to do this on any of my devices? I opened a note and can see the date created, I click edit and the dates disappear and only tags can be edited. It would seem that would be a great place to let you edit it. So that leads me to believe there is either some serious design flaws for the user interface or something or they intentionally are blocking it now?

I am a free user, so wondering if that was blocked on free accounts now or if it is just hidden somewhere crazy. Thanks.

Hi. You cannot edit created dates on the iPad. This is somewhat ironic, since the Created Date sort was just added, but there is nothing to be done. I've requested it for a while now, not because I use it, but because it breaks other peoples' workflows. I use a different system that accomplishes a similar result on every platform. There are downsides, of course, but for my use case, it is working well.

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

If you absolutely must have the created dates editable, your best bet on the iPad is to use a remote login service like Logmein.

You can't edit the date on the iPhone or iPad. For some reason, that was left off the iOS apps. I don't think it was available on Mac either until somewhat recently. What's ironic is that the Evernote Food App not only has the ability to change the date, it has a very well done date/time selection UI for doing it! If only that were available in Evernote (both iOS and even Mac) it would be great.

By the way - Evernote Food's downside is that you can't edit the entry in Evernote - you have to go back to the Food app for making changes.

• Level 5*

You can't edit the date on the iPhone or iPad. For some reason, that was left off the iOS apps. I don't think it was available on Mac either until somewhat recently. What's ironic is that the Evernote Food App not only has the ability to change the date, it has a very well done date/time selection UI for doing it! If only that were available in Evernote (both iOS and even Mac) it would be great.

By the way - Evernote Food's downside is that you can't edit the entry in Evernote - you have to go back to the Food app for making changes.

Thanks for the advice!

Indeed, iOS does not have it. I think it should have many, many more things, but we'll see. I would recommend to anyone that they design their organizational system around the client they use the most. If, like me, you use the iPad, then you might have to get a little creative.

As for OSX, it has always (as long as I can remember) had the ability to edit metadata like this. It used to have it on the main screen, and not hidden in the "i" popover, but the developers already know how I miss this information density / easy editability.

Evernote Food is a great app. One workaround (of a sort) is to merge the Food notes with something. This will mess things up in Food, but it will release it from the "locked" status and enable you to edit it at will in your Evernote account. Here is more about this, complete with a chat, and a "yard sale" :)

• 4 weeks later...

I too have found this to be rather irritating. Particularly as the Manual for ios Evernote seems to think you can do it... I quote the text below for editing a note

Changing Note Details

To edit information about a note, tap the Note Info button in the top-right corner of the Note Editor. You can change a note's location details, created and updated dates, tags, and what notebook it is saved in.

So if its in the guide why can't the dates be changed? Everything else listed above can be edited.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

Any update on this?  I've just imported emails to evernote on my Mac and want to organize them by date created.

Hi. As I mentioned a few months ago (see earlier in the thread), you have always been able to edit the date created on the Mac and sort notes according to the date created as well. Is there something in particular you are having problems with?

For iOS devices you still can't edit date created with the Evernote client. However, the most recent update of Clever now allows updating date created/updated.

Still it would be great if Evernote added this feature.

Any update on this?  I've just imported emails to evernote on my Mac and want to organize them by date created.

Hi. As I mentioned a few months ago (see earlier in the thread), you have always been able to edit the date created on the Mac and sort notes according to the date created as well. Is there something in particular you are having problems with?

I just reopened EN, and I can now manually change the dates.  I was trying to copy/paste from the email with no luck.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

We still cannot change this in IOS - and I really really want it!

In the meantime, any note being created via my iPhone has the tag #tofix added to it so when I get to the web or desktop app, I know which items have to be changed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found an app that allows me to do this. It is called MoveEver and allows some other nifty things - like merging notes, moving multiple notes, adding and removing tags from multiple notes and also changing the creation and modification date. It costs money but I found it pretty useful often enough to make it worthwhile.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The ability to change the creation date is the last functionality that would enable an iPad-only workflow for myself. I am forced to use the laptop now, in order to change the creation date. 

The creation date is a very important tool to sort notes properly.

Is this functionality on the roadmap of the Evernote team?

Archived