The "Done" button not working in iOS app, can't save note

This nasty bug happened to me twice today.

The "Done" button stopped working!

I was editing a note, but couldn't hit "Done", so the note was never saved, and I ended up losing the note.

Everything else worked, including the camera/microphone/Info/options buttons. However, when I hit "Done", the button flashed gray indicating that iOS had recognized my fingerpress, but the app didn't do anything.

The only way to get out of the note editing screen was to force-quit the app! It wouldn't leave the note editing screen, no matter what I tried.

Has this happened to anybody else?

My Internet connection was good, so it can't be a failure to reach the server. Even if it couldn't reach the server, the Evernote client should still save my changes locally, to avoid data loss, correct?

I'm not sure of the exact version number of my iOS app, but it's fairly new.

• Level 5*

I thought the "Done" button was removed. Have you got the latest appstore version? You can check in the appstore to see, or tell us the number shown in your settings page. If in trouble, it never hurts to select all and copy so that you can paste again later.

How about un-maximizing the note (two arrows in the title line) and tapping somewhere outside the note?

This is on an iPhone. The app runs full screen. There's no title line. The "Done" button is in the upper left corner.

Interestingly, sometimes the button is labeled "Done", sometimes the button is labeled "Close". The bug seems to only happen when it is "Done". What causes the button to switch labels? I thought it was when text was dirty (edited but not saved yet), but that's not the case.

I thought the "Done" button was removed. Have you got the latest appstore version? You can check in the appstore to see, or tell us the number shown in your settings page. If in trouble, it never hurts to select all and copy so that you can paste again later.

I found the settings page: it's pretty buried now. Have to drag down the windowshade on the main "All Notes" screen, until your name is revealed at upper left, then click on the shield icon next to your name. That works. It says I'm running version 5.1.0.

• Level 5*

I found the settings page: it's pretty buried now. Have to drag down the windowshade on the main "All Notes" screen, until your name is revealed at upper left, then click on the shield icon next to your name. That works. It says I'm running version 5.1.0.

Huh. That sounds right. I don't have a "Done" button. Are we talking about the iPad or iPhone? At what point do you see the button? It was there in the previous version, but I haven't seen it for a while now...

• 1 year later...

This happened to me on iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1 this morning. Couldn't get it unstuck since when launched the app opened to an image with the useless "Done" button.

Luckily(?), there was an app update for Evernote (7.4.0.309878) and installing that got it unstuck from opening that image on startup with the useless "Done" button.

Archived