(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.0.3 Sync Issue

sanj

Idea

26 replies to this idea

Just installed 5.03 on my OSX 10.7 installation. No issues so far and syncing is working

Good to hear that you got it working. We don't have any data so far, but in my mind, the most likely culprit is the appstore version. It's always a good first step in troubleshooting to get the home brew (the link above). That said, which one did you use: the appstore or home brew?

FWIW both of my upgrades to 5.0.3 were on the non-appstore version of Evernote and in both cases the upgraded Evernote was non-responsive and I had to force-quit, remove, and reinstall. My theory is that the upgrading process is the culprit.

Agreed. We just want a product that works and not something that changes every 5 minutes with a button moved from one side to another. Agreed that not enough testing is happening. I have been notified of an update to 5.05 but now make sure I do not update for at least 4 weeks to make sure all the bugs have been ironed out

I too am having sync problems.

Mac OS 10.7.5 and upgraded to 5.0.3 and now, doesn't sync. I have it set to sync every 30 minutes and that doesn't happen. I have to manually sync.

Use to work just fine and I very much depended on this app as I go from mac to ipad to phone all day long when out in the field etc. Now it takes a bit more effort when it use to just work like advertised.

I would appreciate better testing on all platforms before just pushing out a multitude of updates. Working correctly is better than a bunch of bells an whistles that most people don't want or need. Syncing is a big deal!!

Hi Jackolicious, richard7 and rdhyee,

Thanks for the help :), I uninstalled and then installed the version with the fix at the link and Evernote is working very well again.

Just a question this version says "internal", till when am I advised to wait to make an update?

I've seen 5.0.4 already but now I believe its better to run with this one until updating to Mountain Lion, I guess this OS had no problems with the new versions...

Hello Carla. I have had real problems and am on Mac 10.6. All my notes have gone and the sync button does not do anything. However I have just done a deinstall/reinstall using 5.0.4 as sent to me from someone from Evernote. It now looks like it might be working :)

Moderator has updated this post to reflect current information.

Yes I am at my wits end. Once again another Mac client that has not been tested properly. This is just totally unacceptable when you rely on this software to keep such vital information. It no longer syncs so I did the re-install advised by the sipport team and now I have lost all my notes! Luckily they are still on the server (for now). Not good enough Evernote. Please dont test your software out on me. This is not the first time this has happened and this has prompted me to look at alternatives.

Thank you so much for this post! I lost all of the notes that I added over the weekend, none of my tags were saving, and the synchronization just hasn't been working AT ALL since I upgraded to 5.03. A downgrade to 5.02 was just what I needed - everything seems to be working fine now.

I didn't have a copy of 5.02 stored on my computer, but I was able to find a downloadable copy online via a simple Google search.

Hello Everyone.

Hopefully the last 4 days I have spent troubleshooting the latest Mac version of Evernote and what I have found will help someone else out there who Loves Evernote and cannot live without it.

My girlfriend has a large Evernote database with over 10,000 notes, most of which have images or pdfs embedded with them. There have been just a couple of times where Evernote would not synchronize on her Macbook Air. The solution was simply delete the application support / Evernote folder and allow Evernote to resynchronize overnight.

When she called me last week distressed and completely lost as to what she should do, since her Evernote wouldn't synchronize, I reassured her that I can fix it easily. Or so I thought.

It started out with me deleting the application support folder and preference folder and attempting a synchronization. What I learned is on 5.0.3 It's an impossible task to complete. After literally days of attempting just about everything (and when I say everything, I'm in IT I mean everything) here is what ultimately was the solution.

WiFi - As it turns out, Evernote is very touchy on packet loss. It does not have the ability to resume well on initial synchronizations. If it fails it needs to start over completely. This was one of the main issues, as the re-download of just the meta database took 15 minutes. Then to go into the analysis of what needs to download would take another hour. If any interference was present, it would popup the Synchronization Failure, Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote service... I only discovered this because we were doing facetime and it would black out then Evernote would pop up. There was almost no ping loss.

What I did to resolve this was simply have the laptop placed directly next to the access point. Standby / Energy saver disabled temporarily, and of course charging.

5.0.3 - This version of Evernote simply does not synchronize properly. I'm not sure if it's just the initial synchronization or subsequent synchronize, but after at least 15 attempts under various conditions it was simply impossible. I looked in her downloads folder and found version 5.0.2 which was contained within the image file Evernote_400649.dmg. I closed Evernote, and simply overwrote the application with the 5.0.2 version from the image file and loaded Evernote up. After about an hour of processing and comparing notes were flying down and the log was finally showing positive activity!

If you keep getting log outputs where in the end of hundreds of outputs at the end of the line show "... Ignoring", you should likely downgrade to the 5.0.2 app as that's one of the symptoms she was having. A crucial troubleshooting utility I used the entire time was the Activity Log (found under the help menu on the top of the screen). If you load this and do not click the log it will constantly scroll the current tail of the log.

Hopefully this helps you out. Please let me know if it does in the comments.

Thanks

Dan

• Level 5*

Just installed 5.03 on my OSX 10.7 installation. No issues so far and syncing is working

Good to hear that you got it working. We don't have any data so far, but in my mind, the most likely culprit is the appstore version. It's always a good first step in troubleshooting to get the home brew (the link above). That said, which one did you use: the appstore or home brew?

FWIW both of my upgrades to 5.0.3 were on the non-appstore version of Evernote and in both cases the upgraded Evernote was non-responsive and I had to force-quit, remove, and reinstall. My theory is that the upgrading process is the culprit.

I see. Well, that makes my theory look a little unlikely, though I upgraded to 5.0.3 without an issue. Perhaps there are other causes after all -- maybe several in combination. A fresh install still seems the best bet to me for any intractable problems.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

After I updated to mac 5.0.3, the "sync" function just not work. Please fix quickly!!

This might help you. The point here is to manage a clean install of the home brew version of Evernote. I think if you have this, then you will probably be OK, but it looks like people are having mixed results.

• Level 5

They are not reliable like they used to be. Their support is useless. They take the weekends off.

Hey, cool down a bit. Support has always been business days (California time zone). The majority of users run Evernote for free. For the small amount I pay for Premium, I do not expect 24 hour / 7 days a week service. I don't want to see their charges go up because they feel compelled to offer round the clock service.

And there is this forum where many questions are answered at all times of the day and night.

EN v5.03 was not functional for me. I went back to v5.02 wich works but still has some bugs. I almost always install the latest updates as they come out. Not anymore. I am using EN for mission critical information. If I can't trust the program I have to do something else. I am very disappointed in EN as of late. They are not reliable like they used to be. Their support is useless. They take the weekends off. Do not advertise a product as "Your Brain on the Web" and then fail to support it over the weekend.

• Level 5*

The just released update ver 5.0.3 is not functional, as noted by others in this forum. I had to delete and install a prior version to get any functionality back. BEWARE!

Hi. This is a little hyperbolic, don't you think? I've been using it. It works fine for me. That is not to say there may not be a problem for some users, though. Could you tell us about your OS, your computer, and the specific issues?

GM, I don't think it is hyperbolic at all. Given the number of negative posts in the main thread, Evernote 5.0.3 For Mac, as well as other threads, it seems to be good advice to me.

The reliability of Evernote (all clients) has definitely decreased over the last 6 months or so.

For well over a year, I had my settings to automatically update to beta versions of both EN Win and EN Mac. And then they started becoming very buggy, even resulting in loss of data in some cases. So, I stopped long ago updating to EN Betas.

Now, I can't even trust the production, released version. Like JB, I now wait for at least a week to see if other users are experiencing problems.

Actually, right now, I am still on EN Mac v3 on my primary Mac, as I find EN Mac v5 unacceptable. I have upgraded to EN Mac v5 on my test Mac to test it out. It is based on my own test and findings that I have NOT upgraded to Ver 5 on my primary Mac.

• Level 5

I've taken the same position with the Windows version. I used to run with the beta updates. But my data is too valuable to test new program concepts, so I have backed way off. No more betas for me.

And I stick with the older general release version for at least a couple weeks before updating to a new general release.

During those couple weeks, I check this forum to read the comments from users who updated. Then I decide whether to move forward or continue to sit on the sidelines for a while longer.

• Level 5*

And yet, it is perfectly functional for some of us, so telling everyone not to install doesn't make sense to me. It may be a difference between the appstore and home brew versions (the one support directed you to), for example. Better to identify the problem before deciding everything isn't functional.

Anyhow, it's good you are looking out for fellow users, and thanks for posting your reply from support.

It's not hyperbolic at all. It didn't work on either of my Macs either. Just because it works for you doesn't mean other people are being hyperbolic when it doesn't work for them.

The problem is on Macs. I wrote to support and they gave me the following steps, which worked on both computers:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar. [i had to do a force quit, but whatever works]
  2. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash. [This is the one in the application folder, not the one on the dock].
  3. Reboot your Mac
  4. Download and install the latest version of the Mac client:
    http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac
    When you open the download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.
    Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

• Level 5*

The just released update ver 5.0.3 is not functional, as noted by others in this forum. I had to delete and install a prior version to get any functionality back. BEWARE!

Hi. This is a little hyperbolic, don't you think? I've been using it. It works fine for me. That is not to say there may not be a problem for some users, though. Could you tell us about your OS, your computer, and the specific issues?

Archived