(Archived) "Missing Feature" : Encrypt Evernote Data on the hard drive

DjBea

Idea

It would be a good feature for data security to choose to encrypt or not the Evernote data, that are present on the hard drive.

For the case of stolen, or loose computer, specially for notebooks.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It's not really "missing," in my opinion. You already have tools at your disposal that are far superior to anything Evernote could develop for the app.

(1) Set up a passcode for your computer.

(2) Encrypt your entire hard drive (File Vault is free on the Mac).

(3) If you loan your computer to someone (kids, friends, etc.), make sure to have a separate guest account set up for the purpose.

You can do all of this in a few minutes and not only will it protect your Evernote data, it will make sure that everything else (emails, Dropbox, etc.) will be safe. Here is another post I made on the topic with links to comments by Evernote staff about it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32485-i-have-discovered-evernote-is-completely-insecure/#entry175661

I made searchs before writing my first post.

It's Missing Optional Feature because :

• I don't want to crypt the whole drive with File Vault, because i don't need it and it reduce performances for all data on the drive (specially on SSD). Apple with Itunes as the Feature to crypt iphone & ipad backups, they don't tell you to use File Vault for this. (if file vault offer feature to crypt only chosen folders it could help..)
  • Other users of the computer can get access data. (it is why apple make feature to encrypt ipad,iphone backups...)
  • I didn't find any software that crypt only one folder on OSX. I found only software encrypt a file and mount as a volume. And Evernote preference doesn't allow to choose volume or folder for data.

Maybe you don't need this feature, but there are other people that may need it.

You are welcome if you know a software that encrypt folders on OSX, or How-To re-locate Evernote data !

• Level 5*

I don't want to crypt the whole drive with File Vault, because i don't need it and it reduce performances for all data on the drive (specially on SSD). Apple with Itunes as the Feature to crypt iphone & ipad backups, they don't tell you to use File Vault for this. (if file vault offer feature to crypt only chosen folders it could help..)

File Vault in the past might have impacted performance, but my understanding is that File Vault for the past couple of years has improved so that the impact is negligible. If you've read differently, could you send me a link? I'd be interested to know more.

Other users of the computer can get access data. (it is why apple make feature to encrypt ipad,iphone backups...)

Yes. I believe this might be the case. It certainly was the last time I checked.

I didn't find any software that crypt only one folder on OSX. I found only software encrypt a file and mount as a volume. And Evernote preference doesn't allow to choose volume or folder for data.

Maybe you don't need this feature, but there are other people that may need it.

It probably exists, but I don't know of any either.

You are welcome if you know a software that encrypt folders on OSX, or How-To re-locate Evernote data !

Alas, I do not know how to re-locate Evernote data, though there is an unsupported method of doing it recorded here somewhere on the forums. There are inevitably going to be problems with it, though, and I'd say you'd need to be tech savvy and tolerant of failures (after updates?).

• Level 5

A built in option is to use Disk Utility on your Mac to create an encrypted disk (called a sparseimage).

That's the simple part.

You may optionally allow it to store the password in your keychain and have it auto-mount on login. The key bit is that you need to remember to do that before you launch Evernote.

If you want to maintain the need to enter the password, then another option might be to replace the shortcut for Evernote with an automator action with the icon for Evernote to mount the volume (after you enter the password) and then launch Evernote.

The last bit is to close Evernote (if open), move the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote to your mounted encrypted volume, and then put a symbolic link in place of the Evernote folder in ~/Library/Application Support

You can create symbolic links in the terminal, or use a helper like this: http://www.macupdate.../symboliclinker

---

But yes I agree, it would be more helpful if it was built into evernote.

Archived