Using Evernote, even when I don't feel like organizing

~Adam

(Evernote user since June, 2009)

I just came here to post that many times, I don't feel like organizing. I'm a piler, not a filer, and my physical desk shows that. On my left, I've got about 10 CDs that I've either listened to recently or will listen to soon. Right behind me, I've still got vinyl records out that I listened to three days ago. Also on my desk are some rocks from the beach trip last week, a hammer, condiments, and a whole lot of odds and ends.

My point is, I'm typically an unorganized person, and I'm ok with that. Sure, there are periods of time where I get real organized, but it only last so long.

This is where Evernote comes in. I made a habit early this year that whenever paper came across my path, whether it be a bill, a notice, an account summary, artwork from my children, a photograph, a letter I received, or daily stuff like business cards and handwritten notes, ALL of it gets scanned immediately and it goes in Evernote. I keep a file on my desktop and once I scan an item, I save it to that file and Evernote imports it automagically!

So, I don't tag much in Evernote these days, nor do I keep many notebooks, but stuff does go in there, A LOT, and when I need it, I do a quick search and can bring it up. And then, occasionally, I'll go in and file it.

Just the other day, my wife asked for an old water bill. FOUND IT!

Evernote rocks.

• 1 month later...

I take spells of organizing. I will usually go for a month without sorting what I have but there comes a time when the mess "bugs" me and I'll put things in the right folders/tags/etc. You are right - folder or not Evernote just finds things!

Thanks for taking the time to write this. There are a lot of articles here about the 16 levels of organization that people use and it's good to see someone else saying how well EN works with zero organization. All we have to do is remember to put it in and learn how to search (advanced search helps!) and it works for us too!

Archived