(Archived) Evernote Will Not Open or Launch - (after updating to latest version 5.0.2)

deepsky

Idea

Today I tried updating Evernote ... and afterwards, it wouldn't open (or let me reinstall it). Here's

the solution that worked for me:

Background: I attempted to update Evernote (on my mac) to the latest version, 5.0.2 (from 5.0.1). I downloaded (and ran)

the update. It showed "migrating notes" ... but once it finished, Evernote never opened. I tried rebooting

and that didn't help. I tried deleting Evernote & re-downloading the latest version and that didn't work either.

Below are TWO different solutions that I got from Evernote support - the first one DID NOT work

for me. Fortunately, the second one did - BUT - there is a drawback to method #2 (you'll need to

resync everything back down).

In any event before doing either, chat with Evernote support first to see which (if either) they

recommend for you:

Method #1 - (this didn't work for me, but might for you):

Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash Reboot

your Mac Download and install the latest version of the Mac client: http://www.evernote....ile=EvernoteMac

When you open the download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running

it from within the installer package. Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

Method #2 - this one DID WORK for me:

(but if you go this route, be advised that Evernote will be empty and you

will need to re-sync everything back down). My Evernote is many gigs in size, and is still syncing several

hours later - but - it is nearly 75% done and looking fine). Here's method #2:

Don't forget that while we work on this you can access your synced notes online at www.evernote.com. We would like

to have you completely delete all traces of Evernote and then try to install again. First verify that all your notes have

synced. If you have unsynced or local only notes you will need to export these and back them up in another location

prior to uninstalling Evernote in this manner. Failure to back up local only or unsynced notes will result in the loss of

these notes. Once ready, please download and use the following program to uninstall Evernote: http://onnati.net/apptrap/

Reboot your computer. Once you’ve rebooted, Simply drag the Evernote application to the Mac Trash and AppTrap

will detect that you are uninstalling and remove all the correct files. Reboot your computer. Then, download and install

the latest version of the Mac client: http://www.evernote....ile=EvernoteMac When you

open our installer, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within

the installer package. Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

Many thanks to Evernote Support - you guys are awesome!

12 replies to this idea

If you have unsynced or local only notes you will need to export these and back them up in another location prior to uninstalling Evernote in this manner. Failure to back up local only or unsynced notes will result in the loss of these notes.

I got the same advice from support, but haven't tried it yet, because I have local, unsynced notes I don't want to lose.

Please tell me, someone, how you're supposed to export your unsynced or local notes if Evernote WON'T RUN? Am I just not understanding what support is suggesting in that quote above? is there some way to export Evernote notes from OUTSIDE of Evernote?

• Level 5*
If you have unsynced or local only notes you will need to export these and back them up in another location prior to uninstalling Evernote in this manner. Failure to back up local only or unsynced notes will result in the loss of these notes.

I got the same advice from support, but haven't tried it yet, because I have local, unsynced notes I don't want to lose.

Please tell me, someone, how you're supposed to export your unsynced or local notes if Evernote WON'T RUN? Am I just not understanding what support is suggesting in that quote above? is there some way to export Evernote notes from OUTSIDE of Evernote?

What are support saying about your local notes?

How many do you have?

Can you find them on your file store?

I haven't heard anything more from support yet. On another thread about the same issue, an Evernote Employee provided a link to an earlier version for downgrading, and I did that, then synced my unsynced notes from that downgraded version. That has resolved my issue with lost notes, though not my issue with the update.

I have no local-only notebooks, but I presume one could export them according to the procedure posted upthread, and simply make a habit of ALWAYS doing an export prior to installing any update, to prevent something like this happening again. Personally, I intend to ALWAYS confirm that ALL my notes are synced before allowing Evernote to update in the future. This is probably a good practice to get into anyway. However, for anyone who relies on local-only notebooks, I would encourage them to regularly export that content as a back-up before permitting Evernote to install an update. (Or better yet, Evernote could, itself, include a function to automatically export a backup of any local-only notebooks or unsynced notes before updating.)

Haven't been checking forum updates for a while, so I only just saw the notice about a new version, which is now v5.0.4. It has initialized and opened fine. Thanks to the development team for the new version, and thanks to the forum members who had suggestions.

I'm using 5.04 and yes it opens fine, but the logs were still full with errors about:

CoreData: error: (External Records Support): symlink from path /Users/benissimo/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/benissimo/Evernote.sql to path /Users/benissimo/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A204E87E-9EE4-4BD1-A17A-FDE70AC75270/.support/store-file : Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=516 "The file “store-file” couldn’t be saved in the folder “.support” because a file with the same name already exists." UserInfo=0x8f06690 {NSFilePath=/Users/benissimo/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A204E87E-9EE4-4BD1-A17A-FDE70AC75270/.support/store-file, NSUnderlyingError=0x8f06850 "The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists"}

The fix I found was simply to move that "store-file" file out of the way:

cd ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A204E87E-9EE4-4BD1-A17A-FDE70AC75270/.support/
mv store-file store-file.bak

Voila, no more errors. Returning to that directory and doing an "ls -al" after having relaunched Evernote, I saw a new store-file symlink that points to a different location:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 benissimo staff 140 Dec 27 11:09 store-file -> /Users/benissimo/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/(my username)/Evernote.sql
lrwxr-xr-x 1 benissimo staff 104 May 14 2012 store-file.bak -> /Users/benissimo/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/(my email address)/Evernote.sql

Evidently the path for the destination of store-file symlink used to reference one's email address and now includes username instead. Evernote should automate this fix.

Archived