(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.0.2

mrgoerend

Idea

48 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

If you are having problems with the install then you should try the normal things like, trying again and rebooting. If you are still stuck then you should open a support case and get some help.

The problem still exists after doing all these. I restored from back up, just so I could get back to work.

Hi. I don't know if you saw my post earlier, but I strongly recommend the instructions below. Assuming you follow them, it would be very unlikely (something would have to be seriously wrong, I think) for you not to get Evernote working.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

When I reinstalled, the dialogue box appeared showing the download progress of my notes. Then after it was complete, I noticed some notes were missing, and Evernote started Syncing... Looking at this and the size of my Evernote application support folder, it appears that Evernote is downloading all of my notes twice.

• Level 5*

Same problem. Upgraded to 5.02 and Evernote not responding despite reboot. Using MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard. Very infuriating. What to do? Anyone had any luck downloading 5.02 from Evernote and getting it to work.

You shouldn't be having problems, but you are, so something is going wrong. Again, I'd like to reiterate my advice above. Please follow the link I posted.

OK it is working after second attempt at clean install. Thanks for help but l realy think an automatic update should work without having to spend several hours undoing and retring especially when you have an extensive collection of notes.

• Level 5*

OK it is working after second attempt at clean install. Thanks for help but l realy think an automatic update should work without having to spend several hours undoing and retring especially when you have an extensive collection of notes.

No doubt. And, this is surely something the developers ought to be looking into.

Come off your high horse.

Apologies if I came across that way. I think of it more as a pony, or maybe a mule :) I was asking you to provide more feedback about the changes, because I thought the opinion of a regular user of the app with a clear opinion on the features would help them improve it. If you don't see any use in the Related Notes, then I guess that is enough said.

What's wrong with the feedback I provide that you feel the need to ask me to provide feedback? I don't get it. And I have a hard time perceiving it as anything else than condescending.

• Level 5*

Apologies if I came across that way. I think of it more as a pony, or maybe a mule :) I was asking you to provide more feedback about the changes, because I thought the opinion of a regular user of the app with a clear opinion on the features would help them improve it. If you don't see any use in the Related Notes, then I guess that is enough said.

What's wrong with the feedback I provide that you feel the need to ask me to provide feedback? I don't get it. And I have a hard time perceiving it as anything else than condescending.

Did it really sound so condescending? That certainly wasn't my intention, and given that I have also requested those features you wanted to see as well, and continue to hope that they will be included in some form or another, I do not even think we disagree.

However, I read your post as saying you wished some other features were in the app, but you didn't mention the new features that were in it. I was only trying to elicit feedback about the new features, because, like I said, I think it helps for developers to hear about this stuff from users who are very familiar with the app.

Just to be clear: I don't think there is anything wrong with the feedback you provided. I am sure the developers benefited from hearing it, and I'll make an (Ever)note to be more careful in my choice of words.

The related notes are nice but distracting, especially on new notes where I'm looking for a blank slate. How about their hidden unless I click the icon I saw one time in the bottom right corner? Can that be a preference?

Also, I should be able to drag the related notes into the note I'm currently working on and have them show up as a note link.

Edit: Yeah I just turned them off. They're too distracting on a new note. Really need a way to be able to show/hide them on individual notes.

Did it really sound so condescending? That certainly wasn't my intention, and given that I have also requested those features you wanted to see as well, and continue to hope that they will be included in some form or another, I do not even think we disagree.

However, I read your post as saying you wished some other features were in the app, but you didn't mention the new features that were in it. I was only trying to elicit feedback about the new features, because, like I said, I think it helps for developers to hear about this stuff from users who are very familiar with the app.

Just to be clear: I don't think there is anything wrong with the feedback you provided. I am sure the developers benefited from hearing it, and I'll make an (Ever)note to be more careful in my choice of words.

Okay. I probably read too much into it. I did not, though, ask for any features to be added. I only want one particular feature to be made removable. (I do have feature requests, but I don't think they fit in this thread.)

A first time post so apologies... why on earth have EN removed the wonderful ability in 3.3 to have most accessed notebook on the toolbar? Now I just have wasted space there and less space in the sidebar thanks to the colour icons which I don't use... I appreciate that one shouldn't be overly negative and that the developers must have something in mind it is just whatever that is doesn't seem aimed at someone with large volume of notes in nested notebooks - I still have 3.3 so can't complain yet but at some point 3.3 will stop working with OS/X 10/x and then I feel I will be left with lots of data I have meticulously organised and tagged and which I used to be able to access in a flash but now no more...

is it heresy to ask if anyone knows of a similar service which will read EN format and which hasn't sacrificed usability for bling... I know that sounds peeved and I guess I am or at least disappointed they couldn't leave some of the old stuff in there

Hi there!

Yes I know I can have shortcuts but the more shortcuts you have the less of your folder list you can have whereas in 3.3. i had the entire sidebar for my nested folders and notebooks and the shortcuts along the top - more than double the amount of space I could access compared with 5... I have pasted in a screengrab but am not sure if pasting it in will work... please all I am asking is the ability to drag shortcuts to the bottom of the toolbar and the ability to use the entire side bar for the folder/notebook structure [and without having to right mouse click all the time] and ability to turn off the colour icons for notebooks, atlas, etc. which waste half the space on the side bar --- please!

How about listening to your users and never removing so many vital features in the first place :wacko:

One of your gripes has just been fixed. Please try to be graceful about it.

...er if I purchased a car, and then the dealer came round my house and removed the wheels at night, should I be "grateful" when he returns them in a weeks time?

These things are not "gripes" if you are a professional like myself using 2 premium accounts to run my business with over 6,000 notes and counting. They are serious issues, this is not a game for me or my staff.

As I have posted elsewhere, you have slipped down the rabbit hole with Alice into Wonderland if you are "grateful" when EN boast about "listening to their users" about this sort of nonsense.

If you are such a serious professional as yourself, then you should know better than installing upgrades as soon as they are available. That goes for every piece of software I've ever come across: approx. 1% of users gets screwed. I've been screwed a few times as well in the past, so I learnt my lesson. I'm a serous professional as well, and so is my imaginary staff.

Kinks need time to be worked out. That goes for operating systems, word processors, mail programs, everything.

Oh, and by the way, I said "graceful", not "grateful". I am not a tool.

My wife and I managed to solve the problem.

1. Goto the ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote

(to do so, start Finder, click "Go" in the menu, and type ~/Library then navigate to the above)

2. In this directory, you will see a folder which is your account name.

Now, drag that out to the desktop or somewhere else. Basically this gets rid of all your account information

3. restart evernote. It should start as though it is the first time you installed the program. Login and it will download all your notes again from the evernote.com server.

This fixed the problem for us.

(Disclaimer: I offer no warranty that it will work for you.)

redchicken

That worked for me too, tnx.

It took me all day unfortunately, refixing 12.000 notes.

As a paying customer I feel neither "grateful" nor [given how this is being handled] "graceful"... I keep asking [on different EN pages/threads] about the features lost from 3.3 and the answer I get is not "we aim to bring these back - be patient" nor is it "we have decided to move EN away so these won't be coming back" instead it is "have you tried Shortcuts" - the first two answers would treat me as an adult customer [even if I don't like the answers] but what I get treats me like an idiot - I know what the Shortcut feature is, if it replaced what is missing I wouldn't be complaining!

Obviously I have kept 3.3 running while I tired 5 on duplicate data set and that is fine as long as 3.3 will be maintained [not further developed - I appreciate that is for 5.x] so at least it works as Apple update the OS... but EN don't answer that question. Nor do they say that missing features will return so one has to assume that I either change my workflow to their new way or go elsewhere... is that really how they want to treat customers?

and doesn't this feel awfully similar to the Skitch fiasco - at least there they seem to be offering a proper roadmap to bring back what was lost though it took a lot of complaints

truthfully I feel because I use for EN for research not food blogging or geo-tagging restaurant reviews that I am suddenly of no consequence and yet there seem to be quite a few orphaned users

piss poor customer satisfaction strategy!

If you are such a serious professional as yourself, then you should know better than installing upgrades as soon as they are available. That goes for every piece of software I've ever come across: approx. 1% of users gets screwed. I've been screwed a few times as well in the past, so I learnt my lesson. I'm a serous professional as well, and so is my imaginary staff.

Kinks need time to be worked out. That goes for operating systems, word processors, mail programs, everything.

Oh, and by the way, I said "graceful", not "grateful". I am not a tool.

Calm down dear, calm down.

I'm not daft, my first Mac was a 512K, and I was an Apple Dealer for 6 years. So I haven't upgraded, don't worry!

I installed EN 5 on a spare iMac to take a look at it first, and could see it was a nightmare. Just one look at the big, chunky icons in the sidebar told me something had gone wrong big time. Then I started looking at these forums and saw all the posts for other users who think the same - there are long, long threads.

Removing major functions (let alone features) on an upgrade is not "kinks". And if you look elsewhere on the forum, you will see that EN 5.02 is so full of bugs, that EN staff are now advising user to downgrade to 5.01! I am still on 3.3.0 and intend to stay there as long as possible.

And in the EN blog you will see how EN have admitted that Skitch 2.0 was such a terrible, terrible, "upgrade" that they are now pretty much reverting back to Skitch 1.0.

EN are now busy putting back a some functions and features in to EN 5.0 after listening to the "feedback" from their users. Some "kinks" eh?

And I know you said "graceful", but I have no intention of being either "graceful" or "grateful" so it's a moot point.

Pip Pip!

• Level 5*

BUG Report: Window Title Displays "All Notes" when Notes Filtered by Tag

In EN Mac v3, it clearly shows that the note list is filtered.

But in EN Mac v5, it shows "All Notes" in the window title, when in fact it is NOT all notes.

Here's the EN Mac v5 screen:

EN_Mac_5_Tag_Filter.jpg

By Contrast, here is the EN Mac v3 screen which is much better:

EN_Mac_3_Tag_Filter_Display.jpg

In addition EN Mac v3 provides a "All Notes" icon, available on both the main Toolbar, and on the shortcut bar

This makes it easy and consistent to revert to "All Notes" after a filter has been applied.

EN Mac v5 presents a confusing UI for resetting the list to "All Notes".

This is yet another example of how the EN Mac v5 UI is NOT well designed, NOT well thought through, NOT well tested.

• Level 5*

If you are having problems with the install then you should try the normal things like, trying again and rebooting. If you are still stuck then you should open a support case and get some help.

• Level 5*

Good job with the update. Forward and backward buttons are back. Alas! I won't be able to bug you about those on the forums anymore. I think I will find something else to gripe about, though. I have a list :)

For now, let's talk about this great new feature you have brought to the app: Related Notes.

- A beautiful implementation.

Normally, I am not a fan of Card View (I am sure you already know that by now), but I think this is the place where I would expect to see it. The related notes are unobtrusive and in just a few minutes of use with the update I already find myself scrolling to the bottom of notes just to see what might be related. Brilliantly done. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those features where you hit it out of the park.

- How do they work?

If I understand it correctly, these have not been generated for everything, but only appear if I open a note. That makes sense, and again, it is implemented well with the little elephant icon in the bottom right corner. I remember wondering at ETC how you were figuring out that something is related, and I am still wondering about that. You don't have to give away everything, but some basic rules of thumb might help us to relate things when we want them to "stick" together. Apologies if this was mentioned somewhere (the API, blog, etc.) and I missed it.

- A bug?

However, one problem: my shorter notes do not seem to be generating related notes, even when there is tons of information in them that ought to be triggering the function (short bibliographies, so they contain names and book titles found throughout my account). Some short notes get the related notes. Some don't. A journal note, for example, that is clearly tied to all the other journal notes for that week gets nothing, while the rest of them get the related notes.

Unfortunately my update to 5.0.2 has screwed up.. I have trashed the first copy and downloaded 5.0.2. from the net, but as soon as I Open it it goes into a 186% CPU 'not responding' state.

The snag is I don't know if its really hung or doing its long after migration job before the Evernote screen appears..

Frustrated

What should I do?

By the way. It would seem to be a good idea when an update of this type occurs that Evernote should open a window showing the activity status so one can see what state it is in!

Ended up zapping evernote and reinstalling the 5 or 6 GB of data again. Grrrr!

Excellent news that the forward/back buttons have returned.

At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful sod - how about giving us back the fully configurable toolbar next? You know - the one I can fool around with to get it just right, with a Print button on it, a New Note button, a Sync button, move the search bar so it's at the top of the Snippet column? You know - all that stuff that I'm still able to do with v3.3 Build 300201?

And I know we've been asking for a List view for months/years for the iPad version, but how about a List view on the Mac version but one that can be to the left of the Notes themselves instead of above (which is a throwback to v1 I seem to recall)? In other words, the ability to have the List view where the Snippet view is if a List view is chosen? That would be lovely, thank you... ;)

The reason being that the screen on all Macs is a WIDE screen, not a TALL screen. So there is plenty of room for the list view on the left, showing a much greater number of notes at the screen's full height, and also the note itself is displayed full height alongside on the right - just like in the Snippet view, but with a List instead of a Snippet.

The way the List view is at the moment on all the previous versions of EN, it's always a compromise between how much of the list we see and how much of the note. And a lot of wasted space side-to-side.

I'm still sticking with v3.3, and these initial reports of major lockups with the new version make me a little nervous about attempting to move up to v5.0.2. It'll probably be about v5.1 or higher before I try upgrading again methinks. But we're getting there.....

Keep up the good work, and as always, thanks for listening :)

Upon installing this version of Evernote, I ragequit. It infuriates me that I still cannot remove the useless clutter on my menu bar and replace it with useful clutter. Yes, I will bring this up for every new release until I get the ability to remove the back-and-forward buttons (shouldn't this be in the notes bar anyway?) and especially the loathsome activity stream icon.

• Level 5*

Upon installing this version of Evernote, I ragequit. It infuriates me that I still cannot remove the useless clutter on my menu bar and replace it with useful clutter. Yes, I will bring this up for every new release until I get the ability to remove the back-and-forward buttons (shouldn't this be in the notes bar anyway?) and especially the loathsome activity stream icon.

It seems unlikely to me that we will be getting a customizable toolbar anytime soon, and I think you are stuck with the Activity Monitor for now.

I encourage you to keep providing feedback to the developers about the toolbar and other features you want to see (I have my list of stuff as well -- I am sure they haven't forgotten), but also to give the new updates a try. The new Related Notes feature is quite impressive, in my opinion. I am sure the developers would like to hear from everyone about it, so I think it is worth setting aside the outstanding issues and providing your opinion about the changes.

• Level 5*

The related notes are nice but distracting, especially on new notes where I'm looking for a blank slate.

They are at the bottom, so they didn't really bother me. And, appearing with a new note is kind of nice, because it keeps me from making two notes on the same topic.

How about their hidden unless I click the icon I saw one time in the bottom right corner? Can that be a preference?

Well, as I always say for just about everything else in the app), we ought to have the option to customize our interface, and it is frustrating to be forced to view things. I'm glad you found how to turn it off. Personally, I like your idea better than putting it in the Preferences. Sometimes I might want them, and sometimes I might not, but if the setting is in the Preferences, I probably won't be bothered to toggle it on and off.

Also, I should be able to drag the related notes into the note I'm currently working on and have them show up as a note link.

Brilliant. I hadn't even thought of that, but it is a great feature I could see myself using. Thanks for suggesting that.

Hi Metrodon

I tried rebooting, logging out, deleting the evernote.app, killing evernotehelper, rebooting again --> spinning wheel:-(

You're right, I should open a support ticket:-)

On my iMac 27'' everything seems to be ok:-)

Regards Martin

(to do so, start Finder, click "Go" in the menu, and type ~/Library then navigate to the above)

Now, drag that out to the desktop or somewhere else. Basically this gets rid of all your account information

3. restart evernote. It should start as though it is the first time you installed the program. Login and it will download all your notes again from the evernote.com server.

redchicken

While Evernote now, thankfully, seems on target for full greenwood restoration, we ancient outlaws in the community need to point out that there still remain certain issues requiring a master archer's attention.

1. The back arrows in the toolbar should have the ability to reveal a popup list with recent notes, not just blindly take us back one note at a time.

2. The arrows for nested tags in the Sidebar are too limited in their area of effectiveness. If you click even slightly to the left of them you go the tags rather than opening the nest. This used not to be the case in pre-5 days when the Sidebar was the Sidebar and tags were tags.

3. I do not understand the Sherrif's reluctance to restore the highlighting of a selected tag in the Sidebar. Highlighting is visually useful and in no way detrimental to aesthetics.

Thanks, as always, for all your efforts. Yours in one pointedness, the newly elected Forestry Commission.

redchicken

Thanks

I have effectively done the same and am on the air again now :)

By the way I couldn't find the Evernote/accounts/Evernote folder .. I'm on 10.7.5 here..

Mvh

Cintra

• Level 5*

redchicken

If you have Local Notebooks this could really mess you up, I suggest you are very cautious following this approach unless you have a decent backup.

It seems unlikely to me that we will be getting a customizable toolbar anytime soon, and I think you are stuck with the Activity Monitor for now.

I encourage you to keep providing feedback to the developers about the toolbar and other features you want to see (I have my list of stuff as well -- I am sure they haven't forgotten), but also to give the new updates a try. The new Related Notes feature is quite impressive, in my opinion. I am sure the developers would like to hear from everyone about it, so I think it is worth setting aside the outstanding issues and providing your opinion about the changes.

I would not know about the persistence of the nasty activity monitor's presence if it was not because I actually use the current release. And I like it. I am, to name one thing, very happy with how search works now. I also enjoy the cleaner interface - but the lack of options to customize to be even leaner mystifies me. Aesthetics apart, I do not understand why there is not an option to remove the activity monitor. Some people may have use of it, no doubt. But now that you can get the notifications in the OS X notification center, would it not make sense to be able to toggle it in the app itself? - but no, uhuh, you'd still forced to tolerate the abomination making the whole notification center thing rather pointless.

I turned off the related notes features immediately. I have no idea how it could be useful to me.

(edited for clarification)

The problem still exists after doing all these. I restored from back up, just so I could get back to work.

• Level 5*

I'd suggest opening a support case.

Just fixed mine...but its a long way to go. You need to completely uninstall EVERYTHING that has to d with the app. I think this was mentioned at an earlier point in the thread. I used Clean My Mac and it worked like a charm, However, like Metrodon said...be sure and back up/sync/export all your stuff before doing this

Phew. Got through the upgrade unscathed. It locked up on the note migration process twice but I quit the menu bar elephant, tried again, and everything seemed to work okay from there. I was afraid I'd have to download my entire beast of a database again.

Yay for back/forward buttons returning! When they were first removed, I shrugged and thought, "So? I never use them." And then I realized that I was reaching for those buttons half a dozen times a day without even realizing it. Thanks for putting them back.

Related Notes looks very interesting — even in its infancy. I wondered if something like this might be coming when E5 introduced related tags in the tag screen. It's kind of fun to start writing some things down and seeing Evernote find and deliver related items as I type. If it could get even smarter, it could become a very powerful tool for finding relationships between pieces of information.

Archived