(Archived) Certain Fonts disappear from selection menu

Handyman

Idea

My default Lucida Grande font sometimes disappears from the font selection drop-down menu.

Here's where I notice it:

- Start a note or edit an existing note (in Lucida Grande font)

- Switch to another font (like Andale Mono)

- Try to switch back to Lucida Grande -- Lucida Grande is NO LONGER APPEARS ON THE FONT SELECTION LIST

This problem has persisted for quite some time, and I'm just now getting time to report it.

Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Evernote Mac 5.0 (but this font problem existed in prior versions)

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

My default Lucida Grande font sometimes disappears from the font selection drop-down menu.

Here's where I notice it:

- Start a note or edit an existing note (in Lucida Grande font)

- Switch to another font (like Andale Mono)

- Try to switch back to Lucida Grande -- Lucida Grande is NO LONGER APPEARS ON THE FONT SELECTION LIST

This problem has persisted for quite some time, and I'm just now getting time to report it.

Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Evernote Mac 5.0 (but this font problem existed in prior versions)

Hi. It's not really a bug. It's just how it works. Personally, instead of just having a handful of fonts, I'd prefer to have access to them all and be done with it. The developers know what I'm going to say next --- Windows has it :)

• Level 5*

Speculation (and from the Windows client as well, but that's never stopped me): If the source note is a clipping from the web, sometimes the fonts are encoded in the HTML, but are not resident on your computer. The HTML renderer will do its best to match it with what's actually on your computer, and that font will show at the head of the font list. If you change the font, then of course that font will show at the head of the font list, but since the original font is not on your computer, it's not shown in the font list as an option.

• Level 5*

Speculation (and from the Windows client as well, but that's never stopped me): If the source note is a clipping from the web, sometimes the fonts are encoded in the HTML, but are not resident on your computer. The HTML renderer will do its best to match it with what's actually on your computer, and that font will show at the head of the font list. If you change the font, then of course that font will show at the head of the font list, but since the original font is not on your computer, it's not shown in the font list as an option.

Oh, ye of the font-rich interface know not of what ye speak.

I could be wrong here, but as I understand the OP they have a font set as the default that doesn't exist in the tiny handful of (mostly useless) fonts we get to choose from in Evernote. Comic Sans -- seriously? It is a long-standing sore point for those of us with typographical preferences, and it has been aggravated of late by a new font in the titles: 12 point Helvetica (?) that cannot be changed. Grrr...

The problem, which a Windows user wouldn't experience, because they have access to every font on their computer from the dropdown list, is that the default font often becomes inaccessible. You can only pick it from the dropdown list under certain conditions. Under some conditions, it disappears, and you have to pull up a special font dialog box to get it back.

I don't know why Mac fonts are so limited. We have lots of fonts on our computers, but cannot choose from them. It has been reported, and Evernote staff seemed to sympathize with our complaints (I remember one was surprised to hear about the bizarre choices we have). I think if we got access to all of our fonts through the dropdown, and control over their use in the title, you'd have a lot of grateful users :)

I could be wrong here, but as I understand the OP they have a font set as the default that doesn't exist in the tiny handful of (mostly useless) fonts we get to choose from in Evernote.

Maybe we're getting somewhere....

Actually, I'm not pasting from web pages, just typing with plain text, or modifying plain text notes. You've given me a hint however by saying that I'm using a font that isn't in the fonts provided by Evernote... hmmm...

Actually, I don't care which font I use... I just want a proportional font and a monospaced font that are ALWAYS IN THE FONT LIST.

I need to point out that Lucida Grande is indeed IN THE LIST (for me). Is this font not a default Evernote font? Please let me know.

A long time ago I selected Lucida Grande in Evernote preferences as the default font. By the way, the default font selection allows you to choose ANY font from OS X. Again, I don't care which font, I just want the font to ALWAYS be AVAILABLE.

If I select a different default font, will that solve my problem? If so, which font should I select? Which proportional fonts will ALWAYS be on the Evernote font list? Thanks!!

Archived