(Archived) Windows 4.6.0 Beta 1

dlu

Hello People of Windows!

We have a new 4.6.0 version of Windows that offers exciting new changes! We've removed the Account and Shared tabs on the top of the left panel. All of your notebooks that use to be under the "Shared" tab are now underneath your notebooks. We're now calling these notebooks "Joined Notebooks." Shared was a little vague since you could always share your own notebooks.

In doing so, we've also allowed you to create stacks with these Joined Notebooks. You can take any number of Joined Notebooks and put them into a stack. The stack gets reordered according to the stack name.

If you have Joined Notebooks, you'll can see all of your notes and notes from joined notebooks by selecting Notebooks. We've found that this helps greatly if you are using Shared Notebooks on a regular basis and they don't feel so isolated. If you have Joined Notebooks, "All Notes" gets renamed to "All My Notes" but the functionality is still the same. This will help preserve users with specific workflows that don't involve Joined Notebooks.

We've also done some design tweaking with the left panel, removing some lines and modifying the indenting to conserve horizontal space.

There's a lot of little things in there that we're still fixing, but we'd love to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Made it. Install seemed a little slower than normal getting going, lots of disk activity, not sure what was going on, but it might have been just something else going on in the system. So it's all one big happy family of notebooks now. I immediately made a stack to keep the old shared notebooks in, called, hey, "Joined Notebooks", very original. And did some other tidying up as well. Kinda miss the dividers in the left panel, just a little; they helped my eye navigate between the sections, but it's no big deal.

Looking at the Activity tool in the toolbar, maybe with fresher eyes, makes me think that that might be more useful as a filterable, sortable list.

That's all for now, I'm going to bed.

• Level 5*

We have a new 4.6.0 version of Windows that offers exciting new changes! We've removed the Account and Shared tabs on the top of the left panel. All of your notebooks that use to be under the "Shared" tab are now underneath your notebooks. We're now calling these notebooks "Joined Notebooks." Shared was a little vague since you could always share your own notebooks.

This is big stuff. Good job with the update. So far so good. The interface is looking great, and I am glad to see how well everything fits in there.

One problem, though. The "properties" for the "joined notebooks" tell me that these are "linked notebooks." I think the terminology is confusing. I don't mind either way, but it would be good to unify everything.

Also, it looks like All Notes includes the joined notebooks. That's OK, because I can filter things on my own, but don't you think it is confusing that All Notes searches for everything including the joined notebooks, but All My Notes only searches your own stuff, even though the joined notebook stuff looks like it is underneath All My Notes?

We've also done some design tweaking with the left panel, removing some lines and modifying the indenting to conserve horizontal space.

I liked the lines myself. Now there is just empty space. But, it's no big deal. Either way is fine by me. [EDIT:] It looks like Jefito and I had the exact same reaction. I'd say these lines are obviously helping people, so all things being equal, I'd recommend adding them back into it.

By the way, I like how you now have a message in the favorites bar telling users that they can drag stuff into it (that wasn't there before, right?).

One bug that I cannot reproduce. At some point, after I did a few searches in my notes (I don't know if this has any connection at all), my Notebooks dropdown list changed its name from Notebooks to "4294967294". I have no idea why, and when I pressed on the arrow for the dropdown, it reverted to Notebooks. [EDIT:] Just to clarify, I have no notebook with this name.

Ahh yes, we should change the properties to say Joined Notebooks instead of Linked Notebooks.

For All My Notes, we wanted to give users a way to get back to the scope they were used to. I imagine for GTD and some other use cases this would be important. I wasn't quite sure how else to fit that in there. By "All Notes" do you mean the one in the Favorites Bar? That is supposed to say "All My Notes" and have the same scope as All My Notes

The Favorites Bar has always been there! Well at least for the first GA of it. Perhaps you downloaded a beta and never saw it. It only shows up if you reset the favorites bar.

Pete on our team has seen the bug where you notebook name turns into a bunch of numbers. I think what's happening is that we're showing the GUID instead of the notebook name. If you can repo, that would be great. We'll look into it as well, it seems to be a bit tricky to repro.

• Level 5*

Ahh yes, we should change the properties to say Joined Notebooks instead of Linked Notebooks.

Cool.

For All My Notes, we wanted to give users a way to get back to the scope they were used to. I imagine for GTD and some other use cases this would be important.

Definitely! I wouldn't want All My Notes to go away. I just thought that visually it might be confusing to see the joined notebooks apparently lined up below it, but not really part of it. I don't really have an easy solution to this, except to make the suggestion that you don't indent the owner's name, move it in line with the Notebooks (no indent) and when you click on the owner's name, have the notebook name indented one line. It will then match up with the All My Notes column, but I think because the owner's name isn't indented, it provides a visual cue that it is different. Does this make sense?

By "All Notes" do you mean the one in the Favorites Bar? That is supposed to say "All My Notes" and have the same scope as All My Notes

Yes. As I understand it, the All Notes should NOT say All My Notes, because it literally means All Notes (everything in the account), while All My Notes only means my personal ones. This [the names displayed] is how it was in the previous version, and I am fine with the current functionality, but I just thought the visual cues might be confusing.

The Favorites Bar has always been there!

I know that, of course :) I was only talking about the message, which I don't remember from the previous version.

Pete on our team has seen the bug where you notebook name turns into a bunch of numbers. I think what's happening is that we're showing the GUID instead of the notebook name. If you can repo, that would be great. We'll look into it as well, it seems to be a bit tricky to repro.

I'll try. I went through the same steps searching, but had no luck. I am glad that Pete caught it, though, and I am not just an oddball! I kind of figured it had something to do with the GUID as well.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT UPDATE AND QUICK RESPONSES!

• Level 5*

No. I have a better idea. Does this make sense?

>Notebooks

All My Notes

Notebook One

Notebook Two

>Joined Notebooks

Joined Name

Joined Name

Joined Notebook

This idea, however, would require a bit more work to implement, I think. Now, when you click on Notebooks, it closes everything. Under this system, Clicking on Notebooks would only close your stuff. You'd have to click on Joined Notebooks to close those.

If this arrangement appeals to you, then I would add that we maybe change Notebooks to "My Notebooks." Personally, I think this would be the way to go, because it clearly distinguishes everything for users, while also indicating that they are "together" under All Notes, and searchable that way. What do you think?

I should stress that I have no problems with the new interface. I like it. These are just suggestions to make it a little clearer, and more user friendly for folks who are not as familiar with joined notebooks or the new features.

• Level 5

I used to participate in the betas, but have backed off.

I now wait a couple weeks after the General Release.

Thank you to the folks who are jumping straight in to the betas to identify the corrections.

Your assistance is much appreciated by other users.

Instead of the divider lines, what about just filling the spaces after the first item with ==========?

And/or really bold them...

> Notebooks===========

All My Notes

> Some /notebook

>Tags================

> Priority

> Sometags

> Attributes============

> Created

> Last Modified

> Saved Searches=======

> Trash (445) ==========

• Level 5*

Instead of the divider lines, what about just filling the spaces after the first item with ==========?

> Notebooks===========

All My Notes

> Some /notebook

>Tags================

> Priority

> Sometags

> Attributes============

> Created

> Last Modified

> Saved Searches=======

> Trash (445) ==========

Hmmmm.... I think I like the old divider lines better. If the team is going to tighten up the sidebar and get rid of the spaces entirely, then that is another matter, but if I could choose among the four options (spaces gone, spaces there, ever111's idea, or the old separators), then I'd go with the old lines.

• Level 5*

I used to participate in the betas, but have backed off.

I now wait a couple weeks after the General Release.

Thank you to the folks who are jumping straight in to the betas to identify the corrections.

Your assistance is much appreciated by other users.

You're welcome. Of course, I forgot to mention about the new due dates. But, you wouldn't want to download the beta to try them out, so maybe it's best to wait after all.

-----

Just kidding :)

>Notebooks

All My Notes

Notebook One

Notebook Two

>Joined Notebooks

Joined Name

Joined Name

Joined Notebook

We had something like this earlier, but we wanted to make joined notebooks and your notebooks under the same section. We moved in that direction with the mac client because there are a number of user cases where you want your noteboks and joined notebooks side by side. It might make more sense if we turn off group by owner and have them completely intermingling.

Grumpy has it, but instead of Notebooks, put it all under All Notebooks, and change All My Notes to All My Notebooks.

Search searches notebooks for notes - all or mine.

But won't the new way, without the tab for shared, force the Shared Notebooks to the bottom of the Notebook list, and for a big list, way off the page? Way out of sight?

Maybe you all should have just renamed the tab to "Joined", which looks musch more interesting than Shared, anyway? That might have been enough? Hmmm.

If the lines go, then what about doing very bold first item that was after the divider.

And maybe there should be an option on each notebook to include it in searches or not, and a Search My Notebooks option, and a Search Every Notebook option.

Regardless of where/how Joined Notebooks end up, issue a warning with an click required, when Joined Notebooks are included in a "global" search (My Notebooks with Joined Notebooks included), so we'll realize it, and get off that setting, and not waste search time and resources.

• Level 5*

>Notebooks

All My Notes

Notebook One

Notebook Two

>Joined Notebooks

Joined Name

Joined Name

Joined Notebook

We had something like this earlier, but we wanted to make joined notebooks and your notebooks under the same section. We moved in that direction with the mac client because there are a number of user cases where you want your noteboks and joined notebooks side by side. It might make more sense if we turn off group by owner and have them completely intermingling.

This is tough. It does help to know the owner, especially when you have thirty or forty shared notebooks. The Mac interface has the owner shown in smaller type below the name of the notebook, which is alphabetized. I am not sure this would be desirable on Windows.

The problem isn't so much that I want to keep them visually separate for appearance's sake, but more because functionally they are still separate (a good thing) in the Windows app. All Notes searches them, BUT All My Notes does not. This is absolutely necessary (functionally) because you cannot designate more than one notebook in a search with the advanced search operands, so it is very difficult to filter out your notes / joined notes.

I have reported two problems with the current system in the Mac forums / iOS forums, and I am glad to see they are not replicated in Windows.

(1) On the Mac, there is no way to do what we can apparently do in Windows: filter search results to include everything, or just the notes in our own notebooks (All Notes vs. All My Notes). The Mac interface has a choice in the Sort of All Notes or My Notes, but not in the search. The problem here is that searches turn up all kinds of noise, and even worse, the iOS app behaves differently, so your search results are totally different. This was driving me nuts for a while (see solution below).

(2) On the Mac, because everything is all mixed together, it is easy for clumsy people like myself to post very private notes into shared notebooks. I have already done this, to my chagrin, and in order to avoid the problem, I deleted all of my joined notebooks but one. This also had the additional benefit of solving problem #1.

I should mention that no one else (?) has reported these two problems. Personally, I think that is because no one else uses shared notebooks, or has tested their use cases thoroughly if they do. However, it could also be that I am just a lunatic fringe case.

In my opinion, right now Windows has got it right. This is the way to go. All Notes or All My Notes. I was only suggesting that this distinction be reflected somehow in the way the icons are arranged. Please, please do not get rid of this ability to do different searches. The current implementation is very nice.

• Level 5

One bug that I cannot reproduce. At some point, after I did a few searches in my notes (I don't know if this has any connection at all), my Notebooks dropdown list changed its name from Notebooks to "4294967294". I have no idea why, and when I pressed on the arrow for the dropdown, it reverted to Notebooks. [EDIT:] Just to clarify, I have no notebook with this name.

There is a fix that did not make it into this beta: clicking on notebook group item in the left panel (Notebooks, All Notes, etc) will show large number like the one you mentioned in the favorites bar Notebook item name if you tweaked your fav bar behavior to show selected notebook name by changing ShowFavBarItemName registry variable. Let me know if that's what you are seeing.

• Level 5*

There is a fix that did not make it into this beta: clicking on notebook group item in the left panel (Notebooks, All Notes, etc) will show large number like the one you mentioned in the favorites bar Notebook item name if you tweaked your fav bar behavior to show selected notebook name by changing ShowFavBarItemName registry variable. Let me know if that's what you are seeing.

Hi. Long time no see!

If I understand you correctly, I should only be seeing the numbers if I have changed my registry variable, right? I haven't done that. I also haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Or, did you want me to change the registry variable to see if the number displays?

• Level 5*
You're welcome. Of course, I forgot to mention about the new due dates. But, you wouldn't want to download the beta to try them out, so maybe it's best to wait after all.

Now that's just plain mean. :)

Has anyone had any issues with tags disappearing? When I installed it all my tags had gone (but they were available via the tags pull down in the bar) the next time I looked they where back, then once I adjusted the column widths the tags disappeared again.

I have just done a little more testing and the tags list in the left hand pane are removed if you click on a saved search. The tags folder just shows <no tags> As I said in the previous post they are available in the pull down.

I don't remember this being the behaviour before this beta?

If you click off the saved search and click a notebook all your tags are re-populated

New stuff!! I see we have lured Grumpy over to the dark side (or is it the light side, I'm not sure :P)

Ok, not really tested much, just installed and took a screenshot so I could refer to it now and compare the differences. Will test some more later :)

Initially I was a little overwhelmed by the change, with all of the notebooks being shown, and as a user/owner of shared notebooks, I am interested to see how this changes the way that people use them.

(From my point of view, if people can search through my notebook easier then that makes me happy, seeing as the point was to get the information out there better ;))

Peter,

Was that registry key always there? My notebooks dropdown never changed, but I had noticed that others did, and wondered why...

GrumpyMonkey,

Ahh, welcome to the wonderful world of the Windows Regsitry :) There are some good ones in the Evernote section, I bet you will love to change a few if you haven't already.

What is the registry key that Peter mentioned set to now?

(I think he meant that if set to 1, you may see a bunch of numbers instead of a notebook name - which is the bug he referred to)

williams_s,

The tags list has changed somewhat. As I understand it (from my brief testing earlier):

- View your notebooks = show your tag list

- View a joined notebook = show tags in that notebook (if there aren't any, then it shows none - this may be what you are seeing)

Issues: (for me at least)

- When changing between my/joined notebooks, the tag list collapses, I feel it would be better to not do that.

- I had "All Notes" pinned to the favourites bar before the update, and now would like both "All Notes" and "All My Notes" pinned there. I couldn't do this earlier, is that possible?

Thanks,

Scott

EDIT: Oh, and the separators were nice. They make the big long lists look a little less cluttered. Will miss those...

Made it. Install seemed a little slower than normal getting going, lots of disk activity, not sure what was going on, but it might have been just something else going on in the system. So it's all one big happy family of notebooks now. I immediately made a stack to keep the old shared notebooks in, called, hey, "Joined Notebooks", very original. And did some other tidying up as well. Kinda miss the dividers in the left panel, just a little; they helped my eye navigate between the sections, but it's no big deal.

Looking at the Activity tool in the toolbar, maybe with fresher eyes, makes me think that that might be more useful as a filterable, sortable list.

That's all for now, I'm going to bed.

I miss the divider lines in the left pane too! It made everything looked neater and more organized. Just my thoughts. Besides, the download was indeed, slower this time! No other programs were running on my system, so that has gotten me wondering!! But of all I mentioned, the most bizzare thing is that Tags are missing! :o & I can see it's not just me! Please fix this asap! Looks so empty already w/o the lines in the left pane, and now no tags - It pains to look towards the left pane! :(

This is big stuff. Good job with the update. So far so good. The interface is looking great, and I am glad to see how well everything fits in there.

One problem, though. The "properties" for the "joined notebooks" tell me that these are "linked notebooks." I think the terminology is confusing. I don't mind either way, but it would be good to unify everything.

Also, it looks like All Notes includes the joined notebooks. That's OK, because I can filter things on my own, but don't you think it is confusing that All Notes searches for everything including the joined notebooks, but All My Notes only searches your own stuff, even though the joined notebook stuff looks like it is underneath All My Notes?

I liked the lines myself. Now there is just empty space. But, it's no big deal. Either way is fine by me. [EDIT:] It looks like Jefito and I had the exact same reaction. I'd say these lines are obviously helping people, so all things being equal, I'd recommend adding them back into it.

By the way, I like how you now have a message in the favorites bar telling users that they can drag stuff into it (that wasn't there before, right?).

Yes, I agree! Please bring back the lines - it made everything look so much more defined!

• Level 5*

>Notebooks

All My Notes

Notebook One

Notebook Two

>Joined Notebooks

Joined Name

Joined Name

Joined Notebook

Maybe your thinking has changed on this (haven't read down further yet), but my take is that we already have the tools to implement organizing this panel, if we want to take advantage of them: stacks. If I want a "Joined Notebooks" branch of the "tree", I just make a stack with that name, and collect up the joined notebooks (I did that already). The flip side of this is if we enforce this "My Notebooks" vs "Joined Notebooks" dichotomy, how do stacks fit in? Can I make a stack out of a mixture of my notebooks and joined notebooks? I can't now, but why shouldn't I be able to? Stacks are great for temporary collections of notebooks that go together and can be searchable as a unit.

then I would add that we maybe change Notebooks to "My Notebooks." Personally, I think this would be the way to go, because it clearly distinguishes everything for users, while also indicating that they are "together" under All Notes, and searchable that way. What do you think?

Raises the spectre of a search grammar change, since what we see in the note list is always representable in terms of a search, as far as I know.

>Notebooks

All My Notes

Notebook One

Notebook Two

>Joined Notebooks

Joined Name

Joined Name

Joined Notebook

This idea, however, would require a bit more work to implement, I think. Now, when you click on Notebooks, it closes everything. Under this system, Clicking on Notebooks would only close your stuff. You'd have to click on Joined Notebooks to close those.

If this arrangement appeals to you, then I would add that we maybe change Notebooks to "My Notebooks." Personally, I think this would be the way to go, because it clearly distinguishes everything for users, while also indicating that they are "together" under All Notes, and searchable that way. What do you think?

I should stress that I have no problems with the new interface. I like it. These are just suggestions to make it a little clearer, and more user friendly for folks who are not as familiar with joined notebooks or the new features.

+1 for what you suggested! The idea appeals to me as well!

• Level 5*

If the tags-disappearing-on-saved-search behavior is intentional, I hope you'll reconsider it. A saved search can be an entreé to further narrowing by tag.

Search Info: there is now a distinction between All Notebooks and All My Notebooks, then the latter should be added to the context dropdown.

> Notebooks===========

All My Notes

> Some /notebook

>Tags================

> Priority

> Sometags

> Attributes============

> Created

> Last Modified

> Saved Searches=======

> Trash (445) ==========

Yeah, atleast bold them, if you don't plan to bring back the divider lines. The latter I still feel, would look way better...

Also, another thing I would like to see corrected is the placement of "Trash". I would love for it to be arranged right under the notebooks, as we have it on EN Web. That ways, its always more accessible! Having to Scroll down through all the tags (which, mind you, are now all gone, after this release) to get to trash, at times, is simply put - painful!

Either ways, thanks for the prompt replies, and all the feedback being shared here!

> Notebooks===========

All My Notes

> Some /notebook

>Tags================

> Priority

> Sometags

> Attributes============

> Created

> Last Modified

> Saved Searches=======

> Trash (445) ==========

Hmmmm.... I think I like the old divider lines better. If the team is going to tighten up the sidebar and get rid of the spaces entirely, then that is another matter, but if I could choose among the four options (spaces gone, spaces there, ever111's idea, or the old separators), then I'd go with the old lines.

Me tooo!!!

Has anyone had any issues with tags disappearing? When I installed it all my tags had gone (but they were available via the tags pull down in the bar) the next time I looked they where back, then once I adjusted the column widths the tags disappeared again.

Yes, indeed, the tags are missing, and apparently, so is my lifeline :P

At first, they were nowhere to be seen, but then I adjusted the column width, and poof! they were back there! Tweaked it a little again, and the tags are still there!

I am just hoping they don't disappear into thin air again!

I have just done a little more testing and the tags list in the left hand pane are removed if you click on a saved search. The tags folder just shows <no tags> As I said in the previous post they are available in the pull down.

I don't remember this being the behaviour before this beta?

If you click off the saved search and click a notebook all your tags are re-populated

I switched to another account and I found, when I came back to using the one where I was doing the tweaking of the column width - the tags are missing again!!! :( Please fix this soon guys!

If the tags-disappearing-on-saved-search behavior is intentional, I hope you'll reconsider it. A saved search can be an entreé to further narrowing by tag.

Search Info: there is now a distinction between All Notebooks and All My Notebooks, then the latter should be added to the context dropdown.

Totally Agree with you on this one!

So I have observed, like others have stated in this forum - 2 prominent issues about tags so far -

1). The tag list indeed vanishes on clicking a saved search! But not on clicking every saved searches. Clicking on one saved search makes the tag list dissapear for me, while if I click on another, the tag list is still around.

And,

2). Like spg SCOTT said @ williams_s -

• View your notebooks = show your tag list
  • View a joined notebook = show tags in that notebook (if there aren't any, then it shows none - this may be what you are seeing)

According to me, both these behaviours are simply more confusing and quite bizzare! Why the need to complicate things?

We have Evernote so that we can remember everything! But this missing functionality <which right now, if not missing, then is random, at best> makes that job more difficult, instead of making things easier.

Just my thoughts...

• Level 5

If I understand you correctly, I should only be seeing the numbers if I have changed my registry variable, right? I haven't done that. I also haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Or, did you want me to change the registry variable to see if the number displays?

Sorry, i was wrong, this issue can occur without changing registry, you an just click on one of those notebook group buttons. We were able to repro this issue internally and I'm pretty sure the root problem is fixed. Please PM me if you'd like to try prerelease build with this (and a bunch of other) problems fixed.

/Peter

• Level 5*

Maybe your thinking has changed on this (haven't read down further yet), but my take is that we already have the tools to implement organizing this panel, if we want to take advantage of them: stacks. If I want a "Joined Notebooks" branch of the "tree", I just make a stack with that name, and collect up the joined notebooks (I did that already). The flip side of this is if we enforce this "My Notebooks" vs "Joined Notebooks" dichotomy, how do stacks fit in? Can I make a stack out of a mixture of my notebooks and joined notebooks? I can't now, but why shouldn't I be able to? Stacks are great for temporary collections of notebooks that go together and can be searchable as a unit.

I was really only making a display and terminology suggestion here with the aim of providing more visual cues for an existing feature. I don't mean to suggest that I want the feature to change at all. In fact, I'd like to stress that the way things currently work is greatly appreciated. All Notes = every note in your account + joined notebooks, and All My Notes = only notes in your account, but I don't think the presentation of the icons suggests this. That's all. I am not sure how this ought to be displayed (that's why dlu gets paid the big bucks), but I don't think this distinction is being conveyed well right now, so I made these suggestions.

then I would add that we maybe change Notebooks to "My Notebooks." Personally, I think this would be the way to go, because it clearly distinguishes everything for users, while also indicating that they are "together" under All Notes, and searchable that way. What do you think?

Raises the spectre of a search grammar change, since what we see in the note list is always representable in terms of a search, as far as I know.

Oh no. I wouldn't want that. But, if you use different clients, they all use different terminology for stuff while leaving the search grammar as it is, so I don't see any necessity for a change like that.

Sorry, i was wrong, this issue can occur without changing registry, you an just click on one of those notebook group buttons. We were able to repro this issue internally and I'm pretty sure the root problem is fixed. Please PM me if you'd like to try prerelease build with this (and a bunch of other) problems fixed.

/Peter

Thanks! I'll contact you directly. I'd also like to say that the current interface is working wonderfully for me, and I almost feel embarrassed to bring up these minor hiccups/snags. Good work.

New stuff!! I see we have lured Grumpy over to the dark side (or is it the light side, I'm not sure :P)

I started with Windows back in 2008 when Evernote came out, and I've been using it since then, but was definitely spending more time with the Mac client the last couple of years. I was hoping the latest update would have brought more of the Windows features over to Mac (Vertical List View, information density, etc.), but I think it will take a bit longer to get parity in this regard -- it is a great-looking interface, and a joy to use, but just not as productivity-friendly, and that is what I need right now. I thought I'd take this opportunity to install Parallels and spend some quality time immersing myself in this wonderful interface. As I mentioned elsewhere, I do feel a little bit like Emperor Palpatine when young Anakin asks: "Is it possible to learn this power?" and Palpatine answers: "Not from a jedi." Hahaha. It makes me think of the registry tweaks as the dark side of the force :)

Ahh, welcome to the wonderful world of the Windows Regsitry :) There are some good ones in the Evernote section, I bet you will love to change a few if you haven't already.

I'll be playing around with it in the coming days. I am surprisingly satisfied with just about everything at the moment.

EDIT: Oh, and the separators were nice. They make the big long lists look a little less cluttered. Will miss those...

It's definitely not a big thing for me, but I wouldn't mind having them back at all.

• Level 5*

I was really only making a display and terminology suggestion here with the aim of providing more visual cues for an existing feature. I don't mean to suggest that I want the feature to change at all. In fact, I'd like to stress that the way things currently work is greatly appreciated. All Notes = every note in your account + joined notebooks, and All My Notes = only notes in your account, but I don't think the presentation of the icons suggests this. That's all. I am not sure how this ought to be displayed (that's why dlu gets paid the big bucks), but I don't think this distinction is being conveyed well right now, so I made these suggestions.

I think that the distinction is useful, but I don't want to force it into the current notebook panel's organizational scheme, where I don't think it plays very well. On top of that, I'd like the additional ability to be able to mix and match the two types of notebooks in a stack. I don't know how feasible that is, architecturally, but it would be my instinct to make it so, if it were my decision

Oh no. I wouldn't want that. But, if you use different clients, they all use different terminology for stuff while leaving the search grammar as it is, so I don't see any necessity for a change like that.

Actually, I don't think that would be too bad of a grammar change (I think that the last addition was the "stack:" scope modifier). Currently, if you try to make a saved search using one or the other of these options (by clicking in the notebook list), the saved search string result is empty, which is inconsistent. You could go a couple of ways: add new modifiers, for example, "owner:" and "joined:", which take no arguments, or perhaps use special arguments for the "notebook:" modifier, e.g., "notebook:@owner" or "notebook:@joined".

Oops, just noticed an additional search info glitch: Joined notebooks do not appear in the Search info panel's notebook selection dropdown, at least in my situation, where my joined notebooks are all in a single stack. Curious though; if I select one of the joined notebooks in the notebook list, only the joined notebooks appear in the Search info notebook dropdown.

I'll be playing around with it in the coming days. I am surprisingly satisfied with just about everything at the moment.

There are some that I think you may appreciate, the main one would be the search as you type :P

I may ask you for some of the default values for some of them if you haven't changed anything yet, I have changed them so much I can't remember them anymore :P

• Level 5*

There are some that I think you may appreciate, the main one would be the search as you type :P

I may ask you for some of the default values for some of them if you haven't changed anything yet, I have changed them so much I can't remember them anymore :P

I've got no lags on searches anymore. It's a huge improvement over the situation just a few months ago. I don't know what changed, though it probably helped that I removed all of my attachments from my account :)

I'll get the settings to you in a while.

I guess that this is something that will change, and it is part of the introduction of this new view, but only the view has been updated.

F6 (and Win + Shift + F) don't default to ALL Notes, but rather All My Notes

Currently, to select All Notes, you have to select the top level "Notebooks" selector in the left panel.

Will this change?

• Level 5*

It is with great trepidation I install this after iOS version 5. :o

So a bug in 4.5.something I was going to report still exists here. If I take a picture with my iPhone 5 in EN 5.1 (doesn't matter if taken in EN or imported from the Pictures folder), then rotate the image in the desktop version 90 degrees the images swells from 1.5-2.2MB to something well over 9MB! I had an image that was 1.7MB and here is what happened (actually - Evernote reports it at 1.7MB. Windows Explorer reports it at 1,423KB when it came over the photostreaming app.).

• Rotate Clockwise - grew to 9.3MB
  • Rotate clockwise - grew to 9.6MB (it is now effectively just a flipped image at 180 degrees)
  • Rotate clockwise - Shrank to 9.3MB
  • Rotate clockwise - grew to 9.6MB (it is now the original image.)

Doing the same in apps like Paint.NET, even at 100% JPG fidelity (which is an oxymoron) it only grows from 1,423KB to 3,012KB, so more than doubles, but doesn't go up 400% like doing it within Evernote does.

Peter, I am testing the export. It isn't done yet (takes at nearly an hour) but at 4,800 out of 10,000+ notes, memory usage is holding steady at 695MB. I'll post back if it crashes, but it seems the export bug in 4.5.x has been squashed. Last time, I couldn't get past 2,500 notes before it would exceed 2GB.

Are bug reports for this beta still collected - I have one.

Having updated from version 4.5.10.7472 to 4.6.0.7610, received very interesting case - Evernote started without EvernoteClipper counterpart. As you see, this resulted in no Clipper functionality in FireFox etc.

Uninstalling and reverting to 4.5.10.7472 solved the issue. Tried once more with the same result.

Some info about the setup - OS - MS Windows XP SP3, FireFox 17.

I got this from the team: EvernoteClipper doesn't start until you login into the client. Were you logged out at the time of upgrade and then didn't login after the upgrade?

We have a Beta 2 that has some changes to the installer, and we'd like to get some field testing. We've also fixed the issue with tags disappearing and then reappearing when you change the width of the left panel. We'd like to confirm that this fixes the issue with you folks.

The thread is here:

I got this from the team: EvernoteClipper doesn't start until you login into the client. Were you logged out at the time of upgrade and then didn't login after the upgrade?

Well, in a nutshell - in various ways. The first time it was installed as an upgrade to Evernote client which was logged in, from "find an upgrade" menu. Second time - as a msi upgrade on running application. Third time - removed Evernote app and installed 4.6, during install - specified login and "autologin" option. After install - shut down EN and started it several times during each attempt.

All three times - with the same result - EvernoteClipper started with Evernore and terminated in a second. So, the specified process started and then - ended.

A result of updating to the beta is I've lost a day of clipping :( It appeared it was clipping but no warning highlighting nothing the clip was unsuccessful. No notification for a login to evernote page popped up as IE was not registering the clipping (if this was the reason why).

Only been using Evernote for a few weeks and it was working great, I have found less functionality in the update specifically tagging and selecting notebooks before clipping is completed, to go to a default notebook, and not being able to assign tags there and then is just lessening the value of the product for my use.

• Level 5*

A result of updating to the beta is I've lost a day of clipping :( It appeared it was clipping but no warning highlighting nothing the clip was unsuccessful. No notification for a login to evernote page popped up as IE was not registering the clipping (if this was the reason why).

Only been using Evernote for a few weeks and it was working great, I have found less functionality in the update specifically tagging and selecting notebooks before clipping is completed, to go to a default notebook, and not being able to assign tags there and then is just lessening the value of the product for my use.

I'm afraid I usually use the Chrome plugin to clip things, so I might be missing something here, but what is the connection between clipping and this Windows update? It sounds like the Web Clipper (this is separate from the Evernote client, as far as I know), is causing you trouble.

I'm afraid I usually use the Chrome plugin to clip things, so I might be missing something here, but what is the connection between clipping and this Windows update? It sounds like the Web Clipper (this is separate from the Evernote client, as far as I know), is causing you trouble.

The IE Clipper and Firefox (when sending to the desktop client) clipper rely on EvernoteClipper.exe. If that isn't running (and it seems that there was an issue as TeddyBeer's posts suggest.) then they can't clip.

In my testing, FF seems to start EvernoteClipper, so doesn't suffer, but IE does suffer from this.

Therese73,

I see what you mean, the IE web clipper has been updated somewhat, and now doesn't work properly for me. It seems to have moved to a more web based system.

Different things that I saw:

- IE blocked ActiveX controls, so it messes up the clip dialog.

- When I managed to sort that (not really sure how, it just stopped telling me about it) I only saw the "processing" message in the middle of the page, and the nothing was clipped.

- The one time that the clipper actually clipped something (google), it failed validation:

15:13:17 [5672] 97% Creating server note "Google", resource count: 0
15:13:22 [5672] 97% EDAMUserException: errorCode=ENML_VALIDATION parameter="Error processing document: Invalid a href attribute:/intl/en/ads/"

15:13:33 [5672] 0% 1 item was not synchronized
15:13:33 [5672] 0% * Note 27069, error: Error processing document: Invalid a href attribute:/intl/en/ads/ (ENML_VALIDATION)
15:13:33 [5672] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 32s

Needs looking at I think.

Ok, when it does clip, it seems to not show the new note in EN, but it appears when you sync, and Every successful clip I have made so far (3) fails ENML validation, based on the invalid href attribute mentioned above.

EDIT: ok, Google, Evernote.com fail validation when clipped, but this forum doesn't. Going to dig into the ENML to see if I can see why.

EDIT2: Removing the offending code just leaves it to point to another href that is failing. So I am guessing that the clipper is messing something up to do with Links?

Example code that causes failure:

The spoiler tags wrap it nicer that code tags :P

<a href="/intl/en/ads/" style="background-attachment:scroll;background-clip:border-box;background-color:transparent;background-image:none;background-origin:padding-box;background-position-x:0%;background-position-y:0%;background-position:0% 0%;background-repeat:repeat;background-size:auto;border-bottom-color:rgb(102, 102, 102);border-bottom-left-radius:0px;border-bottom-right-radius:0px;border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-color:rgb(102, 102, 102);border-left-style:none;border-left-width:0px;border-right-color:rgb(102, 102, 102);border-right-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-top-color:rgb(102, 102, 102);border-top-left-radius:0px;border-top-right-radius:0px;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:0px;border-collapse:separate;border-spacing:0px 0px;bottom:auto;box-shadow:none;caption-side:top;clear:none;clip:auto;color:rgb(102, 102, 102);content:normal;counter-increment:none;counter-reset:none;cursor:auto;direction:ltr;display:inline-block;empty-cells:show;float:none;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13.33px;font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:400;height:15.33px;left:auto;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;list-style-image:none;list-style-position:outside;list-style-type:disc;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:10px;margin-right:10px;margin-top:2px;max-height:none;max-width:none;min-height:0px;min-width:0px;opacity:1;outline-color:transparent;outline-style:none;outline-width:0px;overflow:visible;overflow-x:visible;overflow-y:visible;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;page-break-after:auto;page-break-before:auto;pointer-events:visiblePainted;position:static;right:auto;table-layout:auto;text-align:right;text-anchor:start;text-decoration:none;text-indent:0px;text-overflow:clip;text-transform:none;top:auto;vertical-align:baseline;visibility:visible;white-space:normal;width:145.91px;word-spacing:0px;z-index:auto;" >Advertising Programmes</a>

Yes, we're looking into this. We went to update a few things and it seems to have broken functionality. We'll be reinstating the old functionality. Are you guys seeing this in the Beta 1 as well as the Beta 2?

Many apologies.

Yes, we're looking into this. We went to update a few things and it seems to have broken functionality. We'll be reinstating the old functionality. Are you guys seeing this in the Beta 1 as well as the Beta 2?

Today I tested Beta 2 build, and the same error with terminated EvernoteClipper was reproduced there.

Many apologies.

Unsure - it's 4.6.0.7406 (268148), in this version sync has also failed over the last 12 hrs, this computer has been restarted, logged out, everything I can think of yet still indicating a fail, however using old version on another computer synchs as usual.

Edit: Correction version is 4.6.0.7640

Synch working again, there was a page that clipped with an error and was deemed unsynchable, removing it allowed synch again. This was the only clip that showed up after signing back in to webclipper IE 9 yesterday using above version.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived