(Archived) βœ” [QUESTION] Nesting tags in Evernote Mac 5

Robert πŸ‡³πŸ‡±

Idea

23 replies to this idea

Robert, clicking on tags on the left side should give you a full screen view of your tag kingdom :) Dragging one tag onto another will next them there.

Unfortunately drag and drop does not work for me. I have enabled showing tags in the left side bar, but dragging and dropping does not do anything. Even after a restart of EN.

Hi,

Β 

I just switched from using EN on windows to EN 5.2.1 on a mac. Everything is a complete mess in the sidebar, I can't believe it's so much more difficult to use EN on a mac.

Β 

I realize this thread is old, but I can't seem to be able to nest tags in the sidebar like I'm used to doing on the win version. My whole evernote-system is wrecked, is there still no fix for this issue?

Β 

I used to do everything from the sidebar, organizing notes as well as filtering by notebook and tag(s) to find the notes I wanted, but the sidebar is now pretty much useless. I finally found the way to filter by selecting notes and tags using the cmd button, but there is no indication to show which notebooks and tags have been selected. This combined with the inability to nest tags makes it very hard for me to work in Evernote for mac :(

Β 

What is the point of a sidebar that is "view-only"?

Now have 5.04 on Mac. Tag management is pretty much a disaster. I understand how the full screen editor works - very over engineered. Can't believe we lost the elegance of simply right clicking to add a subordinate tag to a tree. This is a fundamental design construct that everyone expects in any piece of software over the last decade (minimum). Please note that tag management is/was one of my primary decisions for selecting Evernote over other systems in order to implement GTD.

Note that I am using a work around of having two EN windows open at a time (one for the full screen tags, and the other for working).

I want to drag and drop the tag onto the one I want it to be ordered under, for example a name, "Zbignew" under a list of "People". The "Z" tags are way over to the right, and the "P" is a couple of screens to the left. When I drag "Zbignew" to the left, I had hoped the screen would scroll over while I am dragging so I can drop him on "People", but it doesn't so I can't find a way to move the tag.

Ah, now I got you. Thanks for clarifying.

I want to drag and drop the tag onto the one I want it to be ordered under, for example a name, "Zbignew" under a list of "People". The "Z" tags are way over to the right, and the "P" is a couple of screens to the left. When I drag "Zbignew" to the left, I had hoped the screen would scroll over while I am dragging so I can drop him on "People", but it doesn't so I can't find a way to move the tag.

OK, thanks Jack.

The only problem is that I have enough tags that it isn't always possible to drag from, say "Z" to "A" because they don't all fit on the screen and it doesn't scroll. I have an ugly workaround, which is to drop the tag on something else halfway there, and then drag it the rest of the way, but that is pretty error-prone.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "it doesn't scroll." When you have more than one screen of tags, a gray scrollbar pops up at the bottom of the screen. Might be easy to miss because it blends in with the background. Do you not have that scrollbar or does the scrollbar just not work? I'm on 5.0.4 and scrolling works just fine.

OK, thanks Jack.

The only problem is that I have enough tags that it isn't always possible to drag from, say "Z" to "A" because they don't all fit on the screen and it doesn't scroll. I have an ugly workaround, which is to drop the tag on something else halfway there, and then drag it the rest of the way, but that is pretty error-prone.

I'm a bit confused about this myself. I am using Version 5.0.4 (400704) on the Mac. I enable the tag list in the sidebar and try to drag a tag to an existing tag group there, but can't drop it. I could drop it to a tag in the main window (they light up when I drag over them) , but the one I need is off-screen, and the main tag windows doesn't scroll when I drag.

Puzzled.

Robert, clicking on tags on the left side should give you a full screen view of your tag kingdom :) Dragging one tag onto another will next them there.

Only thing is, to see the nested tag, you need to quit and restart Evernote...

• Level 5*

Totally bizarre that you can release an "upgrade" with such basic, basic bugs.

And do remember: for every EN user that bothers to find this forum and post here, or bothers to email you, there are millions who are just dumping EN because of this terrible "upgrade".

I think it is difficult to gauge reactions based only on forum postings or appstore reviews. It would be far more accurate to look at information like how many users are logging into their accounts on a regular basis, what client they are using, and which version of the app they have. Of course, only Evernote staff have this information, and we do not. I am sure they are looking at it carefully.

Frankly, whatever suggestions for improvement / complaints I have about version 5 (searching the forums, you will find plenty of posts from me), it is clearly a step forward, and I have no interest at all in going back to the previous version. After seeing screenshots back in August, I've been not-so-patiently waiting for this, and I am glad it is here. I can understand why people would want to roll back, of course, but I don't think that sentiment will be widespread.

Hopefully, you'll find future improvements to the app more suitable for your workflow. They're listening to user feedback, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mac team produces in the next update.

• Level 5*

"

And do remember: for every EN user that bothers to find this forum and post here, or bothers to email you, there are millions who are just dumping EN because of this terrible "upgrade".

"Millions"?!?!?

The upgrade had problems, sure, but I'd bet that more than 40 unique people wrote in to the forums about it (so not even counting those who emailed). Since 40 million is the current estimate for number of Evernote users, across all platforms, I'm guessing you're just being melodramatic for effect, eh?

Archived