(Archived) Feature Request: Sort by Tags

jimmycorn43

• Level 5*

Hi,

In the Windows 8 app, you can currently only sort By Name, By Date Updated, or by By Date Created.

My notes (tasks) are primarily organized by tags. I need to sort by Tag in order to get things flowing the right way.

Please consider adding this.

Thanks!

Do you mean the Windows RT app? If you are working with Windows 8 on the desktop, then you can download the regular Windows version, and it has a tag sort. It is a really nice feature, and as far as I know, Windows is the only client that has it.

• Level 5

Almost all of my notes have more than a single tag. Tags are sorted in each note alphabetically. So it would not be feasible to sort by a tag that happened to land in the middle or end of multiple tags.

Even though I have the Windows client with 20,000+ notes, I have never used the Tag sort option.

• Level 5*

Almost all of my notes have more than a single tag. Tags are sorted in each note alphabetically. So it would not be feasible to sort by a tag that happened to land in the middle or end of multiple tags.

Even though I have the Windows client with 20,000+ notes, I have never used the Tag sort option.

I think it depends on how many tags you have. I'm starting to experiment with them now that I am using the Windows app, and I have found the tag sort to be useful, but only because I don't have so many tags. It's a nice option to have, especially when scanning through notes.

• Level 5

An example of a typical multi-tag note: my monthly payments to insurance company for my home

3 tags: Com-AmFam, Ins-Home, Per-Payment

I can't sort by Ins-Home

I find the search feature so much more powerful than sorting and resorting my entire database.

I don't want to increase the possibility of corrupting all those notes.

Even if I only had one tag, I think a tag search is still the way to go.

edit: Ooops I forgot. Not every Evernote client can see 40 notes at a glance. :)

• Level 5*

An example of a typical multi-tag note: my monthly payments to insurance company for my home

3 tags: Com-AmFam, Ins-Home, Per-Payment

I can't sort by Ins-Home

I find the search feature so much more powerful than sorting and resorting my entire database.

I don't want to increase the possibility of corrupting all those notes.

Even if I only had one tag, I think a tag search is still the way to go.

edit: Ooops I forgot. Not every Evernote client can see 40 notes at a glance. :)

Let's say you have a thousand journal notes that you are browsing through. You want to see the ones tagged "work". You could do a new search, or add to your current search, or just tap on it and re-sort. It's a nice option, I think.

@dlu: I use the sort tag in my Windows 7 client (at work). I have a Mac machine at home that I don't use a much, but just realized that it doesn't have the sort-by-tag option either.

This question was specifically directed at Windows 8, which is running on a tablet -- so @GrumpyMonkey, it is the Windows RT app.

My workflow is based on this: The Secret Weapon

Scroll to the middle of this page, Setting Up the Secret Weapon and you'll see the tag structure.

Because I've got the tags prefixed with a number (1-Now, 2-Next, 3-Soon, 4-Later, 5-Someday, 6-Waiting), if I sort by tag it puts them in order of priority -- the things I need to deal with soonest are at the top.

I agree I wouldn't want to do this on a large Notebook, but this is for my Tasks notebook where (hopefully) I'm deleting things fairly quickly so it doesn't get too big.

• 6 months later...

Agree with the request for sort-by-tag whole-heartedly. It's basically a sort / filter issue. Having both is greater than the sum of the parts!

We also use a nested structure (applying many of the rules suggested in The Secret Weapon) and, for many of our notes, apply up to 6 tags to each one, e.g. BR, Ongoing, MMG, Sales-Driven, UK, 2013 W14

Of course, I can double-click on any tag and see all notes with that tag (FILTER), but I want to be able to sort by any one of those tags in a given list/notebook (SORT).

E.g.

I double-click on 2013 W14 to see all the notes for that week, but then I can't sort by Sales-Driven within that filtered list.

OR another great example would be to be able to sort ALL my notes by a given tag, how handy would that be!

Would love that feature guys, make it happen please!!

Mike :-)

Archived