(Archived) how to find all notes that are not assigned to any specific notebook?

I have recently clipped a lot of notes and now trying to organize them. They are all in "All Notes" folder. I have organized some of them into other notebooks, but here is a problem:

Currently I can't figure out any way to filter the "All Notes" to see only notes that do not belong to any specific notebook. They display all so I don't know which ones are already processed (assigned to a notebook) and which are not - and the list is long.

I know it's possible to specify the destination notebook while using the web clipper but I discovered it too late. Besides, the possibility to specify destination notebook is only when using web clipper from the toolbar icon, not when right clicking on a page and choosing it from context menu (in this case all goes to "All Notes" automatically and I used this way.

• Level 5*

Hi - if your notes have been clipped to Evernote and are currently in an "all notes" notebook, they are - by definition - already in a notebook, just not the one you want them to be stored in. On a desktop you can see the notes in one notebook by selecting that notebook (click the little triangle to the left of 'all notes' to get a drop-down list) and you can drag notes to a different book by click/dragging them normally. To make this a bit more efficient, you could simply tag your notes with the name of the notebook you want them in, then search by that tag and drag those notes to the notebook.

• Level 5

Well, the filtering you want is not possible. Each and every note belongs to one and only this notebook. In your case, it is probably the GENERAL notebook, unless you changed that. You can sort all your notes by clicking on "created" (in List View) and you can see all your recent notes on top of the list. Then process them as desired.

In the future you might designate a notebook for "unprocessed" items.

A tag might serve the purpose as well (or better).

Wern

I think the terminology in the original post shows a little confusion about how notebooks work in Evernote:

• There is no such thing as an "All Notes" folder. When you click on the "All Notes" button, Evernote shows you all your notes from all your notebooks.
  • Every note exists in exactly one notebook (so there is no such thing as "notes that do not belong to any specific notebook").
  • One of your notebooks is the default notebook. This is where notes are created if you don't explicitly request a different notebook.

Perhaps what you want to do is to view all the notes that are in your default notebook, and then move them elsewhere? If that is the case, then you can just select the default notebook, as gazumped has written.

Hope this helps.

Default notebook, yeah! I was somehow unaware of this concept and how it works. I'll do this: I'll create a notebook called "Unsorted" and make it my default. So all my clipped notes will be automatically put into this notebook. After doing some clipping etc, it will be easy to tell which notes are unassigned: all that are in Unsorted notebook - and then drag them from there (exception is the toolbar icon as it allows to clip into non-default notebook of choice, but it sometimes slows down the process and I don't always use this option). Thanks for the tips!

Hmm I cannot make it work like I said above. I created "Unsorted" notebook and made it my default. Then clipped a new note (a page url) and it only appears in the "My all notes" folder (or is it a notebook). It didn't go to the Unsorted (default). IS it not working this way, or something else is to set?

• Level 5*

"All notes" is the left-hand column of my Windows desktop display, and it's effectively a stack of all my current notebooks displaying all my notes (exactly what it says on the can) and allowing a full search of all notes if I require it.

Directly below that heading there's a list of several notebooks, and if I click on each heading I will only see the notes from that book.

If you have the list view window open somewhere you'll see the title, created and updated dates, source notebook and tags for each note. Clicking on the notebooks heading will sort the view into a notebook by notebook listing for convenience.

If you're having major problems with this I'd stick to tagging your notes rather than moving them to one notebook or another.. it will have pretty much the same effect!

Archived