(Archived) Can I create a hot-key to "move to Completed folder"?

Ed Landau

Well... the title says it all. Again, I'm just starting to use Evernote and am seeing if the UI is friendly. Dragging items is sometimes error prone and time consuming... and not very satisfying. I'd rather have a checkbox I check and it dissapears. As a second choice, I'd have a hot-key setup to "move it".

Thanks,

-Ed

• Level 5*

Checkboxes are funny little animals in Evernote -- they don't really apply to anything (for example, a note), and multiple checkboxes can appear in a single note. So there's no real way to get checking a checkbox to trigger any kind of Evernote action, except in a limited way, which I'll describe. Evernote's search grammar supports searching by checkbox state (checked, unchecked, etc.). From the Evernote Knowledge Base: http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321

todo: Finds notes containing one or more checkboxes. todo:true will return all notes containing a checkbox that is checked. todo:false will find notes containing a checkbox that is not checked. todo:* will return notes containing a checkbox, regardless of whether or not it is checked.
So you can set up a Saved Search that filters your notes for unchecked checkboxes: todo:false. When you're using this saved search, you will see only notes that have unchecked checkboxes. If you check all of the checkboxes in a note, then this note no longer passes the filter, and is removed from the note list (you might need to click away from the note to make this happen, or sync or save the note before it takes effect). This will not move the note into another folder, it will just make it disappear from the current search filter.

Aside from that, there is no hotkey ability in the Windows product that will do what you want. You might be able to accomplish something like that using a third-party program like AutoHotKey, but that's up to you to figure out.

Yes, thanks... cwb talked about checkboxes and I had moved on, giving up on checkboxes... hence the title of this new post: "Is there a hotkey in the Windows EverNote application to MOVE-TO-COMPLETED folder.

Thanks for the answer to that Jeff...(which is: No). Seems odd that draging-and-dropping is the only way to move an item. Oh well... maybe a feature request for the next version :).

Thanks again for all you who are spending your time answering questions. It is much appreciated.

-Ed

• Level 5

Not JUST dragging and dropping.

Create a search that brings up the desired selection and CTRL-A or Select all from the Menu. Or manually select a group.

That brings up an interface which lets you Merge the selection or Move it to another notebook.

Select your "completed" notebook from the drop down list and they'll all be moved there.

Again, third party tools could also automate that.

The key nut of the issue is identifying them. Be that adding a completed tag, or going by the characteristics of date or checkboxes. It all comes down to your notes and how you organize them.

Once you can identify the group with a search, the rest is trivial.

Some have script tools, on mobile devices there are tools like AutoEver(which takes your selected criteria and performs your desired move and or additional re-tagging action on them).

How about you have a smart-list which uses a tag called "Not completed" as part of it. You just click the little "x" on the end of the "Not completed" tag to remove that tag, and TADA it disappears from your smart-list.

Seems simple and could easily be fiddled with to do exactly what you want. Make another smart-list which contains the search of NOT having that tag, and there's your "Completed" folder.

• Level 5*

Create a search that brings up the desired selection and CTRL-A or Select all from the Menu. Or manually select a group.

That brings up an interface which lets you Merge the selection or Move it to another notebook.

Select your "completed" notebook from the drop down list and they'll all be moved there.

Yup. And for a single note, the note editor has a notebook selector at the top right, next to the note title.

Archived