Unable to open attachments in standard desktop version of Evernote

elziko

I did post this earlier but I think it got lost in an existing thread.

I have the standard desktop app installed on Windows 8 and I am unable to open any attachments. I have tried

• Clicking the little PDF icon when viewing a PDF to open it externally.
  • Clicking the "Open" context menu item for an attachment.
  • Clicking "Open with" and selecting "Choose program".

None of these actions do anything at all.

Is everyone else experiencing the same issue with the desktop app on Windows 8? I know

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Basic question, but do you have the Office/ Adobe software to open these files normally? If so, I'd raise a support ticket. If not - that's why. Evernote (theoretically) opens the file on your local machine in whatever software is the default for that file type.

I have Windows 7 professional and I cannot open PDF, DOCX, or PPTX files that I attach to my notes.

It looks like I should be able to double-click on them but that just opens the note.

Am I missing something or is there a bug?

Note: this is in the Windows 8 section (OP has Win 8). Having said that, in Windows 7 Professional, double clicking the attachment opens it up fine for me.

• Level 5*

Update:

If I add files via the paperclip icon I can open them.

If I drag and drop files into the note, I can't. They show in the list view as being attached, but not in the body of the note itself.

FYI / YMMV

Hmmn. Shouldn't make a difference. Did Support get back to you with anything? If you want to try elziko's remove/ reinstall route, check out the ways to backup your existing database(s) before you try (although your local database file should be restored from the server version if you reinstall and then log in).

Always log completely out of Evernote before you backup or remove, and use something like Revo Uninstaller to kill any remaining bits and pieces.

I have Windows 7 professional and I cannot open PDF, DOCX, or PPTX files that I attach to my notes.

It looks like I should be able to double-click on them but that just opens the note.

Am I missing something or is there a bug?

If double clicking only opens the note, then you're clicking on the note information, not the attachment.

They show in the list view as being attached, but not in the body of the note itself.

ALL files except images & possibly PDFs will show up as attachments. Whether PDFs show inline or as attachments depends upon your settings (Tools/options/note).

• 1 year later...

I have new Thinkpad Yoga with touch screen and Windows 8.1 and having similar problems. I am using the desktop version of Evernote since the touch version has too many issues. If I double click on he PDF attachment, it opens in whatever I have chosen as the default PDF reader (Which I keep changing). However, if I click on the Open With and try to choose a PDF reader, it doesn't work in any of them, not even which one was the default. This is a problem because the only way to open the attachment then is to save it to my hard drive and then open it with my chosen application that way. Makes using Evernote more cumbersome.

Noted.

It appears the desktop app cannot invoke a Metro program via the OpenWith menu. If the default program is a metro app, 'Open' will work. OpenWith will also work with desktop apps.

Archived