(Archived) I want to select a tag AND a notebook

gnilrets

Idea

My projects are organized by tags and their status is organized by notebook. So when I want to have a view of all of my projects, I can just go to the list of tags.

If I want to look at the notes associated with a particular tag, I can click on the "Show Notes" button:

post-102984-0-31495900-1353517432_thumb.

However, this shows all notes in all notebooks:

post-102984-0-42220200-1353517441_thumb..

No problem, I think, I can just select the notebook I want from the dropdown "All Notes". Unfortunately, this removes the tags I've selected!

post-102984-0-87463100-1353517447_thumb.

Is this really the intended behavior? Is there any way to click on a tag and only show the notes within a particular notebook?

Thanks,

Sterling

5 replies to this idea

You can do a search to narrow down notebook & tag. There's a blog post here.

More detail on the search syntax is here.

In order to get Notebook: X and Tag: Y, you'd use the syntax: notebook:X tag:Y

A few notes: No spaces after the colons (you'll just start searching for "X" and "Y"). This is case-sensitive (again, from what I can tell if the notebook or tag doesn't exist, EN will just start searching for the notebook or tag name).

(You can exclude tags with -tag:Z, but can't do the same with Notebooks).

You can also create a saved search: Edit > Find > Saved Search that'll then show up if you click in the search bar.

Right, but I want to do it with the point-and-click interface.

One of my favorite features of the new 5.0 interface is that when I select a tag, it shows me all the notes that have that tag but it also shows me all of the other tags that are on those selected notes. This allows me to drill into finer and finer detail in a really nice way. Unfortunately, whenever I want to also add a notebook filter, the tag filter gets reset.

Right, but I want to do it with the point-and-click interface.

One of my favorite features of the new 5.0 interface is that when I select a tag, it shows me all the notes that have that tag but it also shows me all of the other tags that are on those selected notes. This allows me to drill into finer and finer detail in a really nice way. Unfortunately, whenever I want to also add a notebook filter, the tag filter gets reset.

You are able to accomplish this by first selecting your notebook and then selecting the tag icon dropdown to the right of the notebook title window. This will filter your current notebook with the results that match the chosen tag. It is the opposite of the way you are mentally picturing your search but it returns the same results. Hopefully this helps.

Archived