(Archived) Setting a note's geolocation manually

gnapse

Idea

Hi,

this is my first post in this forum. I am using Evernote 5.0.0 on Mac, and I want to be able to manually set the location of a note. There seems to be no way to do this, except that I see some references in the documentation that it should be possible, but I can't find the way to do it.

In windows, when I denied the app access to the location services, the app told me that it was unable to automatically add a location, but that I could add it manually. When I said yes, then it allowed me to enter the numeric coordinates, which is a lame and unfriendly way to add a location, but at least is something. Now that the Mac version got the Atlas feature, I assumed this was possible in a more visual manner, but not only is not possible via Atlas, I haven't even found the way to add the location by entering coordinates, like the windows evernote app allows.

Or maybe I'm all wrong and Atlas does have this feature. Can anybody prove me wrong?

16 replies to this idea

Location services would only be needed for Evernote to detect my current location and set the note's location to it. That's actually the only way I can set the location of a note. The problem is to be able to set any arbitrary location manually. I have some notes I want to associated to Santiago de Chile, because I traveled there last year, but I can't, because I'm in Havana, Cuba. I would need to travel back to Chile and set the location there to my current location in order to achieve my goal :(

I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4 but I don't think that has anything to do with this problem.

Hi all,

I've been having the same problem, using Evernote 5.0.5 on Mac OS 10.6.8 - when I click on the information popover, the Location field is greyed out (as is everything else!) and can't be edited when I try to click on it (unlike every other field, which turn into white text-boxes when I click on them). It's not to do with privacy/location settings, as it asks for permission for new notes, and successfully adds it automatically; it seems to be a problem with adding the location manually.

The good news is I have managed to find a solution; the bad news is it is very round-about and uncharacteristically disappointing for Evernote - I wonder if this is actually a bug. I've posted this on another thread, but thought I'd cross-post here in case anyone is still struggling.

The solution is to log into the Evernote website and change the location of the note through that, not through your app on your computer. You then need to click the pencil icon in the top right-hand corner of the note you want to add a location to. Next, click 'Show Details'. Finally, click 'Add Location'. Unfortunately, it's still not that simple - it will only accept the location in the form of Latitude and Longitude numbers; to do these, go to Google maps, find the location you want to use, right-click on the map and select 'What's here?' from the menu that appears, and the latitude and longitude will appear!

All this is from a wonderfully helpful post here (and not anywhere that I could see on the Evernote discussion boards, after a quick glance!): http://www.gordonmeyer.com/2012/01/how-to-change-the-location-data-of-an-evernote-note.html

Cheers - I hope that's some help.

The ability to manually edit the location of the note is invaluable with the new Atlas view. When I go to a restaurant, I take their card, which I scan at high resolution on my scanner at home (yes I know I could photograph it with my phone at the restaurant but sometimes that is simply not practical). I want to put in the geo-location infiormation of that business card into Evernote - so when I am out and about 6 months later and want to eat in the area, I need simply go to Atlas view and see what's nearby.

Location services would only be needed for Evernote to detect my current location and set the note's location to it. That's actually the only way I can set the location of a note. The problem is to be able to set any arbitrary location manually. I have some notes I want to associated to Santiago de Chile, because I traveled there last year, but I can't, because I'm in Havana, Cuba. I would need to travel back to Chile and set the location there to my current location in order to achieve my goal :(

I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4 but I don't think that has anything to do with this problem.

I agree with Gnapse. I have the same issue: wanting to manually revise the geolocation tag of an old note, to a position at which I am not currently located. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

You can manually set a note's location in the Note Info popover by clicking the i in the upper right hand corner of the note editor.

Sorry, I'm with @thatparisguy on this one. When I click on the "i" in the note editor, the field for location is locked. I can only set the note's location to the current location.

You can manually set a note's location in the Note Info popover by clicking the i in the upper right hand corner of the note editor.

This doesn't work for me. When I click on the "i" in the note editor, the field for location is locked. It will only enter my current location when I click the location icon. I can't find a way to do this manually and would love to do so.

Thanks!

Archived