(Archived) Am I missing something? Hotkey > New Note > TITLE

Ed Landau

Disclaimer: This is my second day using EverNote :). Runnning on a 64x Win7 machine.

I want to see if EverNote is easy to use... I'm a keyboard junky and want to be able to quickly enter a task I have on my brain.

I was VERY happy to hear that from any Windows app (as long as EverNote is running in the background), I can press Ctrl-Alt-N to pop up a new Note. HOWEVER, the cursor is positioned in the "details" section of the note... I would have expected the cursor to be initially positioned in the TITLE field and would have expected to TAB over to TAGS, followed by the Details field. As it is, I cannot find a way to enter the title other than by using the mouse and positioning the cursor in appropriately. Am I missing something?

This seems obvious to me... so I've got to believe I'm not the first one and so my conclusion is I'm stupid 'cause I'm just missing something obvious.

Help?

Thanks

-Ed

• Level 5

Type the first line in the text area as your title

That will become the title when you close the note.

If you want to see it populate the title area before closing, just hit the Alt key

• Level 5

Ed,

If you absolutely insist on starting every new note with a title, you can set registry variable HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteFocusToTitle to 1 and Evernote new note creation flow will be exactly as you want. However, this is not as straightforward as the standard way described by jbenson2.

/Peter

Thanks jbenson... perfect. THat's what I wanted. Also Peter, thanks for the suggestion but setting a default title is not what i was looking for! Thanks again for the help !!

Judging from the registry-key-name "SetNewNoteFocusToTitle" I don't reckon you get a fixed title, but actually exactly what you questioned in the first post - namely focus in the title upon creating a new note :)

Yes, when you create a new note with that setting on, the cursor is placed in the title field, allowing you to set the title.

Another option is to hit F2, which will take you to the title as well :)

The F2 trick is nice, thanks. Is that actually documented anywhere?

I also prefer to start a new note by entering in a title. I changed the registry key as described and this works when creating a new note from the main evernote window, but is ignored when creating a new note from the hotkey (which is how I usually start a new note).

Can than be fixed?

The F2 trick is nice, thanks. Is that actually documented anywhere?

Yep, that and many more here:

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=625&hitOffset=839+825+485+476+360+340+329+132+123+63+55+41+28+5&docID=24005

I also prefer to start a new note by entering in a title. I changed the registry key as described and this works when creating a new note from the main evernote window, but is ignored when creating a new note from the hotkey (which is how I usually start a new note).

Can than be fixed?

Ahh, I forgot about that. This is something that happens with Note windows. Not sure why, but that value doesn't work when the note is opened in it's new window (i.e. if you use the hotkey, or don't show the note panel in EN.

There was another thread about it, can't remember what the outcome of it was though, I will have to have a look for it.

• Level 5

Can than be fixed?

This bug is fixed in the next release.

Thank you for reporting!

/Peter

Can than be fixed?

This bug is fixed in the next release.

Thank you for reporting!

/Peter

Confirming that this is fixed in the latest Windows Beta (4.6.0)

Opening a new note via the hotkey focuses the title when the registry setting described above is used.

Archived