Copying or changing ownership of a shared notebook

Is there a way to take a shared notebook - and then pass the ownership to another account? Or can I copy all the notes to my own notebook? I need to copy a shared notebook because an employee is leaving the company - and he's using his personal account with his Evernote system.

Help!

Is there a way to take a shared notebook - and then pass the ownership to another account? Or can I copy all the notes to my own notebook? I need to copy a shared notebook because an employee is leaving the company - and he's using his personal account with his Evernote system.

Help!

Have the employee select the notes, then export them to enex and give you a copy of the enex file. You can then import the notes into your account via the enex file.

• 1 year later...

The problem with the solution above, is that it is a SHARED notebook....having the new employee import the enex file will mess up the other team members who use the notebook.  In my case, I am the one leaving the company and I am the owner of most of our shared notebooks.  Why can't we just change the owner...that would be so simple?

The problem with the solution above, is that it is a SHARED notebook....having the new employee import the enex file will mess up the other team members who use the notebook.  In my case, I am the one leaving the company and I am the owner of most of our shared notebooks.  Why can't we just change the owner...that would be so simple?

I don't understand what you mean about importing will "mess up the other team members who use the notebook."  If you mean the new employee will need to reshare, yes.  (shrug)  That's kind of the pitfall of how you implemented something.  But it's really NBD & life goes on, eh?

It's really pretty simple.  If over half of your notes need to be left with the company, then export the personal notes to enex.  Change the credentials on the old account & set up your new account & import the enex file.  Then delete those notes from the first/old account, empty trash & sync.  Then hand over the new login credentials for the old account.

If over half of your notes are personal, then you simply export to enex & give that file to someone at work to import.

IDK why EN doesn't allow quickly changing owners but I'd guess it has something to do with privacy issues.  The fact of the matter is that this is the way it currently works. 

I have no problem copying notes from shared notebooks and business notebooks that I don't own into my personal notebooks. If you are leaving, just select all the notes in that notebook and copy them to a personally owned notbeook. 

That's why it's a problem. So every team member would have to UNSHARE from my notebook and then reshare with the new person?  The account is under my name, not the company's.

I don't think they have to unshare.  Once the owner of the notebook removes sharing, it just happens.  But yes, the new notebook will need to be re-shared.  Again..that's just fallout from the way you set this up.  If you had created an account specifically for work & didn't have your personal notes in it, then it would simply be a matter of giving someone else the login credentials.

The shared notebook is removed from everyone's accounts as soon as the owner has revoked access privileges. No action to "leave" a notebook is required by team members.

If the person leaving the organization is the owner, as BnF says, someone else will have to re-share that notebook, but depending on how many people need to be invited (and whether or not you have their emails stored as a list somewhere to easily copy and paste!) this isn't a terribly onerous process. 

• 4 months later...

I haven't seen a good solution to the above issue on transfering ownership of a notebook.   I'm about to leave my existing company and I have 40+ shared notebooks that have all the account notes for all the deals that I've been working on and need to leave this behind for my teammates.   The evernote account is on my personal email (as I used evernote before joining the company).   Is there really no way to assign a new owner of my notebooks?   

• 10 months later...

I hate to keep beating this dead horse....and I've seen that it's been beaten for a while (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34361-archived-transfer-ownership-of-shared-notebook/) but the fact that you can't simply change the owner of a notebook is sort of shocking. Most collaborative software tools (i.e. Google Docs) allow for this as people come on and off of projects all the time. Not to mention leave and join companies.

Evernote team: is there anything in the product road map that would offer this ability? If not, is there a place where the folks on this thread can voice their desires more "officially?" 

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2015 at 10:57 AM, jkatinger said:

I hate to keep beating this dead horse....and I've seen that it's been beaten for a while (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34361-archived-transfer-ownership-of-shared-notebook/) but the fact that you can't simply change the owner of a notebook is sort of shocking. Most collaborative software tools (i.e. Google Docs) allow for this as people come on and off of projects all the time. Not to mention leave and join companies.

Evernote team: is there anything in the product road map that would offer this ability? If not, is there a place where the folks on this thread can voice their desires more "officially?" 

Exactly.  To have people say "well, that's the problem with the way you set it up" is ridiculous.  EN is one of the most poorly documented software products and to respond with it being the user's fault is insane.  Between there being no "best practices" (with all the implications, pro and con for the choices you make) being published by Evernote, and leaving it to community support makes me wonder why I bother.  At least with Adobe forums, you have people with 15-20 years of using the products giving advice.  Here, everyone's an expert with how they set it up or how they think it should be, with little experience or expertise in how it should be setup or optimized.  I'm about done with it altogether.  

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, vertium said:

Exactly.  To have people say "well, that's the problem with the way you set it up" is ridiculous.  EN is one of the most poorly documented software products and to respond with it being the user's fault is insane.  Between there being no "best practices" (with all the implications, pro and con for the choices you make) being published by Evernote, and leaving it to community support makes me wonder why I bother.  At least with Adobe forums, you have people with 15-20 years of using the products giving advice.  Here, everyone's an expert with how they set it up or how they think it should be, with little experience or expertise in how it should be setup or optimized.  I'm about done with it altogether.  

You are posting under the help topic of Copying or Changing Ownership of a Shared Notebook"

The question was asked and answered over a year ago.

You should start a new new conversation.

Archived