Saved searches list

Wiesewose

Idea

Hi there.

I have a massive list of saved searches, and spend -a lot of- time making them. I use these saved searches every day. When I type whatever I need in the new 5.0 search bar, the saved searches are visible, namely the ones that start with A, and up to the ones that start with E, but not all of them, most of them disappear out of my screen (I must have at least about 50), and there seems no way I can scroll through them down. I have a Mac and I upgraded to 5.0, and to have the saved searches back on the left hand side under tags, that would be awesome.

Kind regards, Wiesewose

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

As far as I can tell, we lost the ability to edit saved searches. This was quite a blow, especially for complicated ones, but there is nothing to be done about it I am afraid.

This is outrageous!

Almost a year ago Heather acknowledged that the inability to edit Saved Searches in EN Mac was a bug.

After months of many users complaining, Evernote finally fixed this bug.

Now they take away this important feature, which is really only a simple text edit!?!?!?

Evernote, what were you thinking?

Maybe it is there and I just haven't discovered its location yet. You never know!

I suppose there are going to be bugs in any release, but I think this one seems designed so that it cannot be edited. Sort of like how the iPhone saved search doesn't show you the search explanation, so you don't know what it is you are searching for (unless you name them carefully), you don't know how many notes have been found with it (no numbers anymore), and you cannot modify it (no search explanation).

This is not a criticism as much as it is an observation -- I think the saved searches going forward might be expected to perform a little differently, and there is less emphasis on searches (smaller search field on the iPhone, no search field on many screens, etc.). My feeling is that we are expected to use the suggested searches (a new feature) more than the saved ones (an old manual one). It won't work for me, but it may work for some people.

All of this is just idle speculation of course, but that is what it looks like to me.

In case those of you who were discussing the lack of abillity have not yet seen this, there is a way to edit saved searches. (This assumes the saved search isn't below the end of the unscrollable list!) When you put your cursor in the search box, you get your list of saved searches. If you put your cursor over one, an "edit" button appears to the right. Just click that and you can edit your saved search.

Interesting that there was a comment from Evernote acknowledging the lack of a scroll bar on this list and indicating it would be fixed soon. That was in 2012. It's now 2015!

Hello. I was very excited to read that we can put saved searches into notes, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to do it.  Would someone mind giving me a quick how-to? I'm using the desktop version of Evernote 5 for Macs (OSX).

Thanks in advance!

Michael

The Evernote team have really crippled my workflow with this. I have tons of saved searches that combine tags and notebooks that I cannot access via any menu. I now have to type every search into the bar which wastes tons of time. Evernote team, how do we get access to our saved searches?

As far as I can tell, we lost the ability to edit saved searches. This was quite a blow, especially for complicated ones, but there is nothing to be done about it I am afraid.

This is an unintended benefit of my system of storing saved searches in my notes (mentioned above).

It is easy to copy, paste and edit the search.

One additional benefit (especially months later) is that I usually include a brief description of what I want each search to accomplish.

Thanks for this workaround! The loss of editing ability for saved searches has really disrupted my workflow! I am really bummed that this feature was removed.

Does anyone know if there's a way to see what the user base for Evernote looks like? I realize this might well be confidential company info, but I just wonder about it. There seems to be sizable sub-culture of Evernote "power users" who use Evernote for personal productivity (e.g., GTD systems - this includes me) who have really been burned by the new release, but I wonder to what extent we are in the minority, albeit a very vocal one. This is more of an observation. If I can divine a long-term trend towards de-emphasizing our use case in favor of expanding the user base and catering to a "majority" set of use cases that privileges features I don't care about (e.g., Atlas, "looks") and kills features I find essential (e.g., powerful saved search capability, customizable toolbar), I might have to consider switching to another platform.

As far as I can tell, we lost the ability to edit saved searches. This was quite a blow, especially for complicated ones, but there is nothing to be done about it I am afraid. For new saved searches, Edit > Find > Saved Search.

errrr... yes there is something that can be done about it! We can tell Evernote that they are crazy for removing such vital and useful features - and to reinstate them! If you hop-over to the Evernote blog, you will see that the boss of Evernote is doing a massive walk-back of the damage that was done to Skitch in v2.0. Let's ask for the same walk-back for Evernote!

• Level 5*

good question. here's my guess about what it might look like.

intitle:due-date

tag:due-date

notebook:due-date

:)

You are a funny guy!

Search Code 47ER92

Agghhh!

Our thread about saved searches has been mis-coded as a due date (47ER92) :)

• Level 5

I put all my searches into 5 Evernote notes. They have become very helpful as they get larger and larger.

My search examples - date / time

My search examples - things

My search examples - places

My search examples - people

and

My search examples - general search grammar rules

And a saved search to find the 5 notes: intitle:"My search examples"

p.s. As a Windows user, I hope BitQwik will eventually replace all these saved searches.

http://bitqwik.com/

Would you mind sharing your searches?

I'd like to; but I'll have to decline. The saved searches contain a lot of personal stuff like

• Longitude and Latitude of my home
  • Immediate family names
  • Doctors names
  • Business associates

• Level 5*

I put all my searches into 5 Evernote notes. They have become very helpful as they get larger and larger.

and

p.s. As a Windows user, I hope BitQwik will eventually replace all these saved searches.

good question. here's my guess about what it might look like.

intitle:due-date

tag:due-date

notebook:due-date

:)

and

• Level 5*

This is outrageous!

Almost a year ago Heather acknowledged that the inability to edit Saved Searches in EN Mac was a bug.

After months of many users complaining, Evernote finally fixed this bug.

Now they take away this important feature, which is really only a simple text edit!?!?!?

Evernote, what were you thinking?

• Level 5*

This is an unintended benefit of my system of storing saved searches in my notes (mentioned above).

One additional benefit (especially months later) is that I usually include a brief description of what I want each search to accomplish.

It kind of goes back to my minimalist philosophy. It's just better to keep it simple, so that no matter where you are, you can use the feature. Parity on some of these crucial (at least in my opinion) items in Evernote would be much appreciated. As it is, I can create a saved search on the Mac, but cannot edit it. I have to go to the Windows platform for that. It is just one more barrier to putting it into my workflow. Basically, if I cannot use something everywhere, I tend not to use it at all.

• Level 5

• Level 5*

On the Mac - same problem in 5.00 with my long list of saved searches AND

Can't find how to edit the searches (that was a cool feature recently added to 4.00

How do I create a new saved search? - I used to use the File: New Saved Search

Am I missing something?

As far as I can tell, we lost the ability to edit saved searches. This was quite a blow, especially for complicated ones, but there is nothing to be done about it I am afraid. For new saved searches, Edit > Find > Saved Search.

On the Mac - same problem in 5.00 with my long list of saved searches AND

Can't find how to edit the searches (that was a cool feature recently added to 4.00

How do I create a new saved search? - I used to use the File: New Saved Search

Am I missing something?

"This is a nice workaround. The saved search problem is a known one on the Mac, and hopefully will be fixed soon. In the meantime, I recommend dragging all of your saved searches into the Shortcuts. They are quite handy there, with the added bonus of being manually sortable."

I tried that. I have to delete the saved searches starting with the letter A to E in order to get al the ones E to L on my screen. And when I delete the saved search, well... so disappears the shortcut. If only I could scroll through them I would be fine, but alas, no such thing.

• Level 5*

In the meantime, I recommend dragging all of your saved searches into the Shortcuts.

"the shortcuts" - Is that a Mac thing?

I am sorry, but I am not allowed to divulge the cool nature of this new fruity feature to our Windows brethren. Hand over the Vertical List View and I might be persuaded to talk.

By the way, I broke down, put Windows on my Mac, and now have a list view of my own (via Parallels). It's a little clumsy, but worth it. I had forgotten my love for the little things like being able to open a note in its own window and shrink it down as small as I like, or a full range of fonts :)

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e0533319-72d3-443d-a506-299cdc4b791e/69092ec3e95fad10495698bf3329fdbd

• Level 5*

and

This is a nice workaround. The saved search problem is a known one on the Mac, and hopefully will be fixed soon. In the meantime, I recommend dragging all of your saved searches into the Shortcuts. They are quite handy there, with the added bonus of being manually sortable.

• Level 5

and

Archived