(Archived) audio playback problems on Nexus 7

matt anderson

Hi, I've got the same issue too. I've updated my Nexus 7 to Jelly Bean 4.2 and get the audio playback error on new notes.

Just to be clear:

• Old audio notes prior to the update playback fine inside Evernote when you view a note (not in edit mode).
  • New audio notes do not playback when viewed (again, not in edit mode), they launch an external player (in my case VLC) which then complains with the audio playback error. The inline Evernote audio player doesn't appear at all.
  • All my old notes I've tested were recorded on the same device.

The symptom exists on several colleagues Nexus tablets who've just upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.2.

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched teams from team Apple to team Android and bought a Nexus 7 and when I complained to a buddy of mine about this very issue, he found this discussion. Bad timing on my part I guess. However, I can't wait for this issue to be fixed since I no longer have my iPod Touch to perform this task. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Nexus 7 here and since 4.4.1 i cannot playback my audio notes anymore. Evernote itself fails playing it back and when i choose an external app like vlc or total commander i can see it passes an object called content://com.evernote.evernoteprovider/ressources/data to it. this is always 0 byte. I checked evernotes folder and the amr files are there and can be opened with any player i choose. it looks like this is just a path problem within evernote. i hope this gets fixed soon or this recording feature is useless :(

I'm running the most current Android and the audio issue still doesn't work. Support also seems to think its the clients. Kinda annoying... Maybe if someone who has paid for premo support submitted a ticket they'd take this bug more seriously.

I'm gonna try a reinstall. Still doesn't work, it really sucks that evernote hates nexus users. I used to use the ***** out of evernote, now that I can't use audio, my evernote usage is minimal.

Can't wait for a patch or similar program to work on the nexus

• Level 5*
Maybe if someone who has paid for premo support submitted a ticket they'd take this bug more seriously.

Premium users get higher priority in the support queues (that's a premium benefit), but I don't think that they get any higher priority in terms of bug fixing. That being said, all of the folks here who have the problem should probably open support requests. The more information they get (up to a point, of course), the more likely they will be able to pin down the problem.

• Level 5*

I understand; sometimes you just gotta take the hit, though. And I just wanted to make clear that free users know that their issues are important too (since the issues are usually as likely to manifest themselves regardless of user's paying status). Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. Audio note or attachments do not work on new Nexus 7. I am trying to evaluate this and other note taking software packages for students and possible integration into our teaching. Put in a ticket with evernote and just get the snotty automatic message that I'm not a paying customer and hence not important enough to be helped (well maybe once, much later, if they feel lik it!). Sorry, if you want people to pay, first your software must be fully functional and second you should not ignore your prospective future clients. Going to look at other packages that actually do work.

Same here as well. Nexus 7 tablet running Android 4.2.1. Hell of a first impression, seeing how the mic works perfectly everywhere else and voice notes are the main reason for me to look into Evernote.

Evernote version: 4.4.2 (revision: AndroidMarket_442_189)

Finally got reply from "support" with the advice to log out, restart the nexus and then login again. Needless to say that this typical it-helpdesk cliché answer did not solve the problem. They also provided a link to a preview version but that link does not work!!!

Glad I have not paid for this. And the way it's going I won't and neither will the institution I am evaluating this for. Looking at alternatives that actually do work.

Update: Replied to support that neither of their 2 suggestions did work and got a reply back: Exactly the same mail as the first one, with exactly the same 2 suggestions I did tell that didn't work! Oh come on, is nobody at evernote even interested in Nexus 7 users? They sold millions (over 6 million last time I've heard about sales numbers). And does "support" at evernote even read the requests or is it just an automatic system that sends standard mails according to some keywords it finds?

GOOD NEWS: There is a nice alternative: It's called Springpad and seems to do the job: including audio recording! Maybe Evernote can have a look and learn how to do it?

That is good news. Support informed me that this is in the process of being internally reported and resolved when time/priorities allow it. A time estimate woulkd be appreciated but those are dangerous to give I suppose.

So I have to be patient and hope this will indeed resolve it as I came across a bug in Springpad: That one doesn't do pictures with the Nexus 7 ! But I want/need both! Sigh, rock and hard place springs to mind.

Finally got reply from "support" with the advice to log out, restart the nexus and then login again. Needless to say that this typical it-helpdesk cliché answer did not solve the problem. They also provided a link to a preview version but that link does not work!!!

I too submitted a ticket and got the same response and reply from support with a link that was broken. Then I tried the link without https://, SUCCESS! I was able to download a beta version that successfully records an audio note AND MORE IMPORTANTLY played it back without error! I'm now looking forward to the final update to be released on Google Play in the near future.

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Great tip, thanks juju. That worked for me too, just entered without the http:// and then it started the downloasd automatically. Came up with an error message in the browser window but that doesn't matter. Yes the beta version works here too, so very pleased and I think now evernote does what I need it to do. Awaiting official release too but that shouldn't be too long I think.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived