Sorting by multiple tags in iOS

In the iOS apps, is it possible to use multiple tags to filter notes? For instance, say you're using the TSW system and you want to filter for [@work]+[1-Now]+[.Active Projects]

I know there is a way to do this on the desktop app, but if I'm out running errands, or working away from my desk, I'd like to be able to do the same on my mobile (iPhone or iPad) Is this possible?

• Level 5*

In the iOS apps, is it possible to use multiple tags to filter notes? For instance, say you're using the TSW system and you want to filter for [@work]+[1-Now]+[.Active Projects]

I know there is a way to do this on the desktop app, but if I'm out running errands, or working away from my desk, I'd like to be able to do the same on my mobile (iPhone or iPad) Is this possible?

(1) type this into the search field

tag:@work tag:1-Now tag:".Active Projects"

(2) save the search

done!

So the only solution is to create saved searches for every possible permutation? I am a new user, and was dismayed to find that searching notes using multiple tags isn't an option on the iPad. I am in the process of converting from OneNote to Evernote, and will be primarily accessing my notes from my iPad. I'm a med student, and am finishing my classroom years and starting my time in the hospital, so I would like to have access to my notes on the go. Prior to converting, I spent a good deal of time looking through the forum for ideas about how to set up my system. I decided on one notebook for my school work, with tags to divide the notes by organ system and discipline. It was my hope that a combination of tags would allow me to narrow down my notes rapidly, so I would not have to search for words specific to a note that I am looking for (medical jargon + autocorrect is a nightmare) I guess despite my research, I must have totally missed the point of tags. Is the organization structure I created fatally flawed? In order to implement GrumpyMonkey's solution, I would have to have a laundry list of saved searches, which would be unwieldily at best. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

• Level 5*

So the only solution is to create saved searches for every possible permutation? I am a new user, and was dismayed to find that searching notes using multiple tags isn't an option on the iPad. I am in the process of converting from OneNote to Evernote, and will be primarily accessing my notes from my iPad. I'm a med student, and am finishing my classroom years and starting my time in the hospital, so I would like to have access to my notes on the go. Prior to converting, I spent a good deal of time looking through the forum for ideas about how to set up my system. I decided on one notebook for my school work, with tags to divide the notes by organ system and discipline. It was my hope that a combination of tags would allow me to narrow down my notes rapidly, so I would not have to search for words specific to a note that I am looking for (medical jargon + autocorrect is a nightmare) I guess despite my research, I must have totally missed the point of tags. Is the organization structure I created fatally flawed? In order to implement GrumpyMonkey's solution, I would have to have a laundry list of saved searches, which would be unwieldily at best. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Actually, my solution doesn't use too many saved searches, and doesn't use tags. You can, of course, but I prefer to rely on a combination of informational titles + note links.

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

In your case, maybe titles containing the organ system and discipline, with "index notes" containing links to all of the related notes. In your case, you already have a knowledge system organized for you, so you can set this up pretty easily. Basically, it is a mix of searching and a personal wiki. I wish we had navigation buttons, but unfortunately not yet.

• Level 5*

Thanks May and GrumpyMonkey! Looks like I have some re-organizing to do.

Glad we could help.

Unfortunately, we don't yet have parity across clients on some of these features, so you have to design your organizational system around the client you use the most / or around the one with the fewest features. It sounds like you've figured out a way forward with the iOS client, but if someone absolutely had to have another system with heavy use of tags and so forth, I'd recommend considering a remote login service like Logmein.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

(2) save the search

done!

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

are you guys looking into implementing an easier Tag search on iOS? This would be a massively useful feature.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

(2) save the search

done!

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

are you guys looking into implementing an easier Tag search on iOS? This would be a massively useful feature.

Thanks!

Hi. I'm not with Evernote. I'm just another user like you. Fortunately, the developers read these forums, so I think they'll see you request for an easier tag search in iOS.

Hi. I'm not with Evernote. I'm just another user like you. Fortunately, the developers read these forums, so I think they'll see you request for an easier tag search in iOS.

Ok. Thanks Grumpy Monkey! I hope they will!

• 1 year later...

Archived