(Archived) How to Bk up in Evernote 5?

skyhskyh

Idea

Previously... highlight All notebooks. Right click it and export all notes.

Cannot even find how to do it anymore

version 5 looks great. However, I am wondering why is it so difficult for users to find where to backup when backing up is one of the most important thing to consider (when they redesigning the whole evernote interface)

Anyway...

Help needed please.

cheers

20 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't use Time Machine so I can't really help you. I'm sure there is tons of documentation online though. If you are using Time Machine then you shouldn't need to do the manual process unless you require a 2nd form of backup.

Guest Random Guy

I have no problems at all, 9,000 notes, @ 500MB total. I run my business on EN. I'm just wanting peace of mind and a plan in place for dealing with any problems that arise in the future.....

Yes, please tell us Evernote. I need a fail-proof way to restore. ATM I am backing up an export to .enex as well as copying the data folder weekly to a dvd. I don't feel so confident that in the event of data loss that I can get everything back *exactly* where it was at my last backup.

Like I said...

Additionally, there is no "one size fits all" method of restoring. It depends upon what you need to restore, why you need to restore & what has happened since the last backup. That's the way restoring data has been in the 35+ years I've been in IT. The suggested method is to consult the board and/or submit a support ticket, if you have any questions regarding restoring notes from a backup.

Do you have any unsync'd notes? Any local notebooks? Were any notes deleted that you're wanting to restore from your backup? How big is your database? ETc, etc, etc. That's why there is no "one size fits all" restore. But please feel free to search the board for backup/restore/guid as specific situations have been addressed for other users. You can then acquaint yourself with how the EN sync process works & what you may need to do in a specific situation.

Guest johnsolo

Yes, please tell us Evernote. I need a fail-proof way to restore. ATM I am backing up an export to .enex as well as copying the data folder weekly to a dvd. I don't feel so confident that in the event of data loss that I can get everything back *exactly* where it was at my last backup.

• Level 5*

The discussion in this thread clearly illustrates the fact that Evernote has NOT published a complete, accurate, tested process for the backup of EN Mac, and the restore of selected Notes that completely restores all data associated with the Notes (all metadata including Notebook, Tags, Created Date, Updated date, and other attributes).

The process published in the Evernote KB is flawed, and relies on the export of Notes, and then the import of selected Notes, which does NOT include the original Notebook.

Come on Evernote, this is a huge concern. When will you design and publish a comprehensive, selective, backup and restore process?

But the first (and most crucial) step of being able to restore is having a good/recent backup. And I'm pretty sure if you use the search function, you will find an existing thread on this topic containing a post by Heather regarding restoring on a Mac for one particular user who messed up their tags. So I'd suggest you do that, for more info.

I have tried using search, and once again, if it really was easy to find the correct information, I wouldn't be posting a new thread about it.

But, thank you. Your advices are good. Of course Metrodon also. Appreciated.

Now that you have mentioned Heather. THe search was so much easier. And I have found this:

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Unfortunately, as you've synced to our server, we can only restore the version that is currently on our server, but if you perform the following steps exactly, you can manually restore your organizational structure without excessive difficulty.

To restore from a Time Machine Backup:

1. Close Evernote
  2. Replace the Library/Application Support/Evernote/data directory with the Time Machine's cache
  3. Take the Mac off the network (Turn off Wireless/Airport)
  4. Start Evernote
  5. If your notebooks are the problem, create a new tag for each notebook with the Notebook's name, and "Tag" every note in that notebook with that Tag. If the tag already exists, create a *New*, *unique* tag.
  6. If your tags are the problem, following the previous step will preserve the original (correct) tag data.
  7. Right-click on the All Notebooks notebook to use the Export function to export the notes to an enex file (export tags as well).
  8. After doing that, make a Local notebook on the Mac client
  9. Move all of your notes into that Local notebook
  10. Connect to the network
  11. Click the "Sync" button.
  12. Evernote should sync down to the server with your notes to rebuild your database.

Once you are in sync, you can then move the notes back from the Local notebook to their synchronized notebook based on the tags you created

Very good info.

Now that it mentions exporting all notes may also be needed (depends on the situation).

My question is. Is there an export all note function in evernote 5 or it is gone?

See post #8 - Metrodon already pointed out where the EN data lives on Mac. As has been said before, copying the folder is a much better backup method than exporting notes.

It has been said ... but has it been tested? :-)

Lets assume someone has a couple of notes and makes a backup with time machine. Then EN cloud gets broken (for whatever reason) and EN doesn't know the notes any more. With Time Machine the user can now go back to a former state of _his_ harddisk. But his EN-client will do a resync with EN cloud and all notes will be removed again?

Since that the complete information would be: Use time machine for backup but in case of the unbelievable accident don't start the EN client but open a support ticket?

Or is EN aware of time machine like the build-in Apple programs? (For Windows-User: I can open the address tool and the time machine shows me the addresses which I had some when in the past).

Kind Regards

I'm PC. I've tested & used the method of restoring successfully many times, when moving from one computer to another. You are certainly welcome to try it on Mac for your own satisfaction.

Additionally, there is no "one size fits all" method of restoring. It depends upon what you need to restore, why you need to restore & what has happened since the last backup. That's the way restoring data has been in the 35+ years I've been in IT. The suggested method is to consult the board and/or submit a support ticket, if you have any questions regarding restoring notes from a backup.

But the first (and most crucial) step of being able to restore is having a good/recent backup. And I'm pretty sure if you use the search function, you will find an existing thread on this topic containing a post by Heather regarding restoring on a Mac for one particular user who messed up their tags. So I'd suggest you do that, for more info.

See post #8 - Metrodon already pointed out where the EN data lives on Mac. As has been said before, copying the folder is a much better backup method than exporting notes.

It has been said ... but has it been tested? :-)

Lets assume someone has a couple of notes and makes a backup with time machine. Then EN cloud gets broken (for whatever reason) and EN doesn't know the notes any more. With Time Machine the user can now go back to a former state of _his_ harddisk. But his EN-client will do a resync with EN cloud and all notes will be removed again?

Since that the complete information would be: Use time machine for backup but in case of the unbelievable accident don't start the EN client but open a support ticket?

Or is EN aware of time machine like the build-in Apple programs? (For Windows-User: I can open the address tool and the time machine shows me the addresses which I had some when in the past).

Kind Regards

I don't use Time Machine so I can't really help you. I'm sure there is tons of documentation online though. If you are using Time Machine then you shouldn't need to do the manual process unless you require a 2nd form of backup.

This is going back to circles again.

Previously, I do Export all notes to a enex file and save them somewhere. backup using Time machine.

I thought this was good way as it is documented. I searched and followed.

Now, some suggested database files (folder) back up is better. So, from above, I finally found the com.evernote.evernote, copy this folder to another location. backup with Time Machine.

I know Time machine already is backing my whole computer up even if I don't copy this folder, but I thought the whole point of copying this folder is yes a kind of second backup, and it may be easier to get back to some previous versions of notes if needed rather than going through Time Machine.

Then you suggest that if I use Time Machine, I shouldn't need to manual process.

So, that means, I am back to the original post and the later questions.

does Evernote 5 still have the export all notes function? if so, where it is, but then if suggesting it is not a good way to do it, then I have just done the other ways....

This is going back to circles again.

Previously, I do Export all notes to a enex file and save them somewhere. backup using Time machine.

I thought this was good way as it is documented. I searched and followed.

Now, some suggested database files (folder) back up is better. So, from above, I finally found the com.evernote.evernote, copy this folder to another location. backup with Time Machine.

I know Time machine already is backing my whole computer up even if I don't copy this folder, but I thought the whole point of copying this folder is yes a kind of second backup, and it may be easier to get back to some previous versions of notes if needed rather than going through Time Machine.

Then you suggest that if I use Time Machine, I shouldn't need to manual process.

So, that means, I am back to the original post and the later questions.

does Evernote 5 still have the export all notes function? if so, where it is, but then if suggesting it is not a good way to do it, then I have just done the other ways....

Just make sure your Time Machine backup includes ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

How do I include this manually? I can only see exclude options.

So Evernote 5 does not have export all note option anymore? if it still has, where is it?

At this moment, I am planning to basically just copy that com.evernote.evernote folder into another place and rename it with com.evernote.evernote dd mm yyyy. Keeping may be 3-5 copies from different dates.

Periodically and manually repeat the above procedure, deleting the oldest version and replace with a more up-to-date database folder.

Is this a good method to keep my data safe? (as for many people, our data is important)

• Level 5*

Wouldn't you go to tools, options, and it shows where your Evernote data files are, so you can back them up locally, then to the cloud, or whatever? I'm as windows user. Won't this work for Mac?

No this isn't the same on a Mac.

I'm sure I heard many times that Export is not good for a backup method.

Much of the info about the note is not included, I believe. Like, even the date it was created is not brought back by import? I use idrive - https://www.idrive.com/p=idr101 , but though I have restored folders and files to check them as best I could, I have never

restored an Evernote folder that way.

I also run full hard drive copy using an Apricorn cable, external HD, and backup software. I also duplicate the Evernote folder on my hard drive from time to time with another name, so idrive uploads that frozen copy, and idrive never deletes files/folders even if they are deleted from my PC unless I initiate a sync, and allow it, and as long as the new file name is unique, it just sits on their "cloud". I also burn Evernote to DVD from time to time, but if yours is huge, and it gets too big (use DL DVD?), then that's out.

I still think from a user and as an evernote designer (I am not), it is definitely difficult to find out how to back up, which again, it is supposed to be one of the most critical design goal for Evernote.

Yes, I am complaining, but I think this is very reasonable. It took me approx. 1hr today to find out how to do it.

Some reasons:

The documentation is not very easy to understand and it is outdated and it is not exactly a database back up.

And by the way, I still haven't found a way to export all notes as I could before in evernote 5

It is not that easy to find the answer via searching through the forum, if it was, I wouldn't be starting a new thread on it at the first place.

Exporting notes is not the preferred way of backing up. Exporting is intended for getting notes out of Evernote, say if you wanted to use the info in another format or send the notes to a different Evernote account. Please search the board on backup to find which library to send to Time Machine.

I have, but got lost.

I answered this earlier so it's still in my clipboard buffer...

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

I have found ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote by spot-lighting "Evernote"

Now what I do to back up ? (I thought my Time Machine backs up the whole computer for me already including this folder, right?)

• Level 5*

I answered this earlier so it's still in my clipboard buffer...

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

Exporting notes is not the preferred way of backing up. Exporting is intended for getting notes out of Evernote, say if you wanted to use the info in another format or send the notes to a different Evernote account. Please search the board on backup to find which library to send to Time Machine.

Archived