(Archived) Evernote 4.5.10 Sync at Startup?

ever111

I was running Evernote Windows 4.5.9 RC, and NEVER noticed this on it or before:

I, as of yesterday, am running Evernote Winows 4.5.10, and I just brought up my XP from shutdown very early this morning, after at least 9 hours of being powered off, started Evernote after the system was completely up and Norton Internet Security updated, like I always do, and EN did not Sync after I entered my User and Password on the EN signon screen. I have always had to wait for it to do that before today.

Isn't it supposed to Sync when it comes up? I think It always (for a couple of years) has before.

Has something changed in 4.5.10? There were fixes in 4.5.9 to stop repeated instant Sync when not connected to the internet, so I wonder how it turned out in 4.5.10?? Thanks!

Well, I have opened a ticket on this. Guess nobody cares, since I have gotten no reply here.

I am also having ongoing problems with the ticket reporting page, that reported before, and sent screen clips, but nobody cares, it looks like.

• Level 5*
Well, I have opened a ticket on this. Guess nobody cares, since I have gotten no reply here.

This is a user forum, not an official Evernote support forum. Evernote staffers do sometimes respond here, but that's not guaranteed. It's mainly us users. If you feel that you need an official Evernote response for a topic, opening a support request is the correct thing to do.

If you've posted about the ticket reporting page, please post a link to the thread here; we should be able to get someone to look at it.

Here is the link to the problem reporting problem thread...

http://discussion.ev...orting-problem/

Also, when I filled out a report, and clicked on review (or whatever they called it), and clicked on revise to correct it, the web page jumps away from the area to update that contains the post, to a report the problem page! I thought I had lost the post, because the back button flopped back, but the page jumped forward each time. I did a double back, and the report verification display was there, so I did a submit as is, and I think it worked.

Yes, I have noticed that Evernote no longer seems to automatically sync on start up. It does sync eventually though, according to some internal schedule I guess. It doesn't particularly worry me, but it would be nice to know exactly what is going on.

Well, if it doesn't sync on startup, what keeps me from updating a note that was updated on another of my computers or online, without me having the current version, and what if I search for something, but the note(s) with it were created even hours ago, on another of my computers, or online? This sure seems like a huge integrity exposure window to me!

There is a workaround on how you can make Evernote to sync at every start of Evernote on a Windows-system:

Start Evernote.exe with the parameter /Task:SyncDatabase

Example for Windows Vista: "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Task:SyncDatabase

As fas as I know there has been an option "sync at start" in the last versions and this option does not exist any more. I hope that this option comes back in the next version of Evernote because the command-line workaround is not very comfortable especially when you have to combine it with other commands like here.

• 2 months later...

I tried the /Task:SyncDatabase option but could not get it to work under Windows 8. I have a 64 bit system and used ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Task:SyncDatabase". I also tried several experiments with the placement or elimination of the quotation marks. Can you tell if I'm missing something?

I am also using Window 8 64bit now (Evernote Desktop-version, not Tablet-version). I use this command to start and sync Evernote:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Task:SyncDatabase

This works for me

I just tried this same command on a 32 bit Win8 machine ("C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Task:SyncDatabase) and it still will not auto-sync on start-up. Evernote still launches but does not auto-sync.

I can' tell you what is different at your computer. I have tried it again: I can paste my posted string in the "run"-field from the Windows-startmenu or put it in a batch-file and start this batch. Both works for me. I am using the last public version of Evernote for Windows: 4.6.2.7927. Are you using this version too?

Maybe there is missing something in your current installation of Evernote. You coud try to deinstall and reinstall Evernote. I have no other idea.

I can paste my posted string in the "run"-field from the Windows-startmenu or put it in a batch-file and start this batch.

There's my problem! I was simply adding the parameter to Evernote's "shortcut" rather than as a command. Thank's for your time!

Archived