Feature Request : change application font size

StRodney

Idea

Would be great to be able to adjust the Evernote application font size. That is, the font(s) that are used in the side panels, the list of notes, note cards, snippets, etc. I can make the text I type into notes as big as needed, but I still have to squint at the list view (especially with high-res displays).

A global setting in the Preferences / Options would be sufficient, but even better would be some keyboard shortcuts to zoom in or out

I'm a Mac user, but I believe this is a missing feature on Windows as well.

88 replies to this idea

I have just switched to using Evernote and had high hopes that it could replace several different apps across my devices but the inability to change font size makes it nearly unusable for me on my iPhone. I am really sorry that it lacks such a basic feature which is really important to anyone with less than perfect eyesight (and that is a lot of the population). Yes, I know I can zoom in (to read notes) but not when adding to a list on my phone. I'm not going to upgrade. I hoped my search for the perfect app was over but it looks like it continues :(

I too need a way to have the font appear bigger in evernote on the iPad without resorting to changing the font size, as it then looks absurd on the desktop.

In Apple Mail, you press command and plus to increase the visible size of an email, the font seems to increase, all formatting is preserved and the text reflows perfectly on lines below without going off the side of the page, and when you change to another email or return back to the first email after closing it, it has returned to it's original zoom level. This is the perfect idea for the iPad and the Mac clients.

It's true. The iPad font size is a little frustrating, but this probably ought to be discussed in an iOS thread. This thread is about the Mac interface.

I've created a separate request for iOS here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82054-request-improve-readability-small-fonts-on-mobile-without-altering-content/

I've provided a separate statement of the problem and possible solutions. Sometimes developers don't address a problem because they don't like the solution people campaign for, and going back to the original problem helps. Please, jump in with details or other possible solutions if you can think of anything. I'd love to be using Evernote more, but I've been relegated to printing to PDF and using Dropbox rather than Evernote for mobile reading.

• Level 5*

Just bought an iPad mini 3 and the screen resolution / fixed font combination makes Evernote quite unusable 

Only option to read the text is to constantly zoom in/out

Please make it possible to change font size

It's true. The iPad font size is a little frustrating, but this probably ought to be discussed in an iOS thread. This thread is about the Mac interface.

However, judging by the fact that a lot of the Evernote interfaces have become standardized in color, font, and font size, I would guess that Evernote is actually not terribly interested in providing this kind of functionality. If I had to guess, I'd say because it is a lot easier to design and maintain the interface when you don't have to worry about strange fonts or large font sizes playing havoc with it. Personally, I've avoided the Mini because of font size issues with other apps and trouble comfortably reading PDFs. Maybe, if Apple announces a "Pro" iPad in a few hours (they have an event scheduled soon), we could get that massive device and solve the problem :)

I am a gentleman of a certain age, wear glasses and am blind without them. I find in my 70th year that I need more light for such mundane activities as reading a newspaper. In the EN Notes List and sidebar, the low contrast and small font makes it extremely difficult for me. Isn't there some obligation to make EN compliant to disability standards? At the least, it should be a goal of the engineers.

Cheers,

Michael

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michael A. Gilbert, Professor, Department of Philosophy

f;ykc

Just bought an iPad mini 3 and the screen resolution / fixed font combination makes Evernote quite unusable 

Only option to read the text is to constantly zoom in/out

Please make it possible to change font size

Hi,

Yea this is ridiculous. The Evernote team is going to lose customers if they don't do this

They have this feature for the desktop version. Do it for iOS. Even if it's 2 font sizes that are available. It's not a matter of "complex documents." It's a matter of making parts of the notes look diffferent and recognizable.

Ridiculous.

Michael

This topic-thread may be old news by now and I'm just stumbling into the forum thinking the issue is still fresh!

I've been re-discovering Evernote now that I have an iPad, which I adore.  The only restriction is that there's no way to change font size on the iPad.  I asked Evenote Support about this and they admitted that there is, in fact, no way to change font sizes with mobile devices.  Well...

I believe I found a way around this problem.  I went to a website, in this case Foxnews.com, and copied some larger type from headlines.  I pasted it into a new note and -- wallah! -- LARGE TYPE IN MY NOTE!  So now I have a single note entitled "Big Text."   This note serves as an ongoing 'large text farm' from which I can harvest and paste bigger text into future notes as needed.

--------------- OOPS!!      Now hear this:

I just discovered the reason YOU SHOULDN'T DO WHAT I DID ABOVE...

Evernote will NOT SYNC with the above trick in place!   I had to totally remove my BIG TEXT note from my iPad and my iMac, first by sending it too the TRASH and then EMPTYING THE TRASH!   Evernote will not allow the above trick.   I tried!

I started using Evernote a few years ago, back when it was the best option among WIndows mobile phones with both sync and cross-platform operability. Back then, I also didn't like the fact you couldn't change the fonts, but I had a quick hack: edit the font on my mac and the phone would respect the same font as long as kept the cursor right next to the modified fonts. so if I did this

this is a test fontTHIS IS A BIG FONTthis is the right size, look at the vertical line besides this quote, it's a cursor|

the main point is that in the PC/mac application, you select the note you want to modify, and make sure the last entry has no extra spaces in front of it. you then modify the font as you wish (I did by "select all") and if you leave no extra space, it should work.

it seems that "bug" is still available on iOS phones, but not on Android phones (I tested both). All you need to do is set the font you want in your PC/mac. some points:

• leave no spaces after the last entry: any extra spaces will let the program revert to the default font.
  • I only tested it with a single font: it might work with different fonts, and if it does, it will probably just persist with whatevr the last font you used was.

I hate to offer this "hack" since it gives the lazy developers one more excuse to put this feature request on the back burner, but I also share your disdain for this company's disregard for a feature that is more than a simple bell and whistle but a valid accesibility need. Hope this helps any of you out.

+1 here. Clipping articles in Evernote to read later on iPad is fairly difficult with current font sizes. The font is too small for my use on a regular iPad, and with an iPad Mini I have to hold it up to my face.

iOS 8 has font scaling preferences which most new apps respect. Sadly if I change the font size there and then force kill and restart Evernote, it only affects the sidebar, not the content.

A decent alternative would be some way of scaling individual articles and having them reflow. Two-finger zoom isn't a pleasant solution when one has to keep sweeping the article back and forth.

Please don't make me go back to Instapaper for web clipping. It loses content. I'd love Instapaper's viewing options with Evernote's reliability.

I give up: ADIOS EVERNOTE!

Hello OneNote and so many other options.

Too stubborn on their part not to make their font sizes more flexible ...where's their marketing strategy? not inclusive in such a diverse user population?

When a forum gets too long and the BRAND AMBASSADORS (from the firm) do not respond it's to give one's revenue potential or subscription moneys to others firms that are more inclusive.

Additionallly: For people who don't need to fact check and need to concentrate on their own writing try http://www.ommwriter.com/ 

Best wishes to Evernotistas more loyal than me ...the world moves faster than Evernote.

Note: 1 think Evernote guys will not like my post and will delete this post sooner or later

Hello...

I think most Evernote users missed the point. Evernote is not created to take long notes. I think Evernote can only be used for notes that don't exceed few words and that can be quickly read like your grocery list. I am using OneNote for my work, and one day I had that crazy thought that I can simply move my notes to Evernote. Some of my notebooks can fill more than 500 pages that include graphs that need to be organized in a certain layout near their paragraphs. With OneNote, I am able to create any layout I need within the page. And most important, when I want to review any note I can easily view and “see” what I spend months to create without having to buy a pack of Panadol for headache from reading small characters. I can easily sync and backup all my notes for free using OneDrive that integrates seamlessly (shouldn’t it ;) ) with OneNote. I can easily resize images, something I never thought about until I found that it’s impossible in Evernote. Anyway, one day I had this crazy thought that I need to “switch” (lol) to a “better” service. Just to be fair, I really recommend using Evernote, but only for light use. You need note taking powerhouse capabilities, definitely take the OneNote route.  To know if you are using Evernote correctly, you need to use the free version. When you reach that moment that you decide to cross the line and buy the paid version, you should know that you are doing something wrong. When you move to Evernote paid version, I believe that you have expectations that you are going to use Evernote heavily. The problem is that it’s not created to do that. this is like someone pays for a Ford Tempo to use it in the jungle. Ford Tempo is not made for the jungle terrain. And Evernote is not made for long note taking. It’s made for quick notes with few words that doesn’t require large font to read.

Mike, I'm not arguing your personal opinion, but if you read through all the Evernote Features & Promo pages, and look at the videos Evernote posts about the many uses for Evernote, it's apparent they do think people should be using Evernote for larger & complex documents.  Evernote has fairly sophisticated formatting features - text can be bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, bullet lists, indents, check boxes, sections & subsections, paragraphs;  and you can insert images & audio - that's a sophisticated app, except for the ridiculous absence of font sizing in the apps.  If someone created a desktop software with all those editing features and *didn't* include adjustable fonts you'd think they were crazy, right?  It's promoted principally as an app for devices that also can be accessed on laptops/desktops & via the web - so why in the name of all that's common sensical would you have NOT have features in your app, the principal input device for many, if not most users, that are available in the secondary input device (desktop/laptop)?  It makes no sense. They promote it for work, showing examples of various professions using Evernote, collaborating on projects with large quantities of, and varied types of information; for studying and homework in school & college - they do not promote it as a "note" app.  And even if that were the case, all the note apps I've checked, free & paid, have adjustable fonts.  

I do still wish that Evernote would get adjustable fonts, as Evernote is a great app in all other respects and I'd love to be able to use it for work - heck, I wish they'd just start acknowledging the issue. 

I've give up on Evernote for now, & use Mac's Notes for a simple notes app, and switched to Notability, which had more flexibility and allows for more types of media/types of entries.  Even though Notability doesn't have many of the more 'office-y' text formatting options that Evernote does I love having the ability to write & sketch with a stylus, and the export options are good.

Now that Notability has a desktop app (& auto backs up to Box/Dropbox) & can keep all my devices/computers fully synced, just like Evernote and have *readable* documents.  I'm not associated with Notability & receive no benefits from them, just find the app useful.

Still hoping Evernote fixes this issue.

Evernote is great for notes of any length if working from your mac - I can size it anyway I like! I am partially sighted so it's not a preference thing when I want to see notes on my other devices in a large font too. 

My earlier complaint was a disability access issue.

I'm going to give OneNote a go - looks as though it does everything I need! (Had previously not considered it because I didn't have a Microsoft account - I'm a mac/android user)

This may mean bye bye evernote!! If I get on well with One Note, I will be advising others with disabilities to go this direction too :)

Note: 1 think Evernote guys will not like my post and will delete this post sooner or later

Hello...

I think most Evernote users missed the point. Evernote is not created to take long notes. I think Evernote can only be used for notes that don't exceed few words and that can be quickly read like your grocery list. I am using OneNote for my work, and one day I had that crazy thought that I can simply move my notes to Evernote. Some of my notebooks can fill more than 500 pages that include graphs that need to be organized in a certain layout near their paragraphs. With OneNote, I am able to create any layout I need within the page. And most important, when I want to review any note I can easily view and “see” what I spend months to create without having to buy a pack of Panadol for headache from reading small characters. I can easily sync and backup all my notes for free using OneDrive that integrates seamlessly (shouldn’t it ;) ) with OneNote. I can easily resize images, something I never thought about until I found that it’s impossible in Evernote. Anyway, one day I had this crazy thought that I need to “switch” (lol) to a “better” service. Just to be fair, I really recommend using Evernote, but only for light use. You need note taking powerhouse capabilities, definitely take the OneNote route.  To know if you are using Evernote correctly, you need to use the free version. When you reach that moment that you decide to cross the line and buy the paid version, you should know that you are doing something wrong. When you move to Evernote paid version, I believe that you have expectations that you are going to use Evernote heavily. The problem is that it’s not created to do that. this is like someone pays for a Ford Tempo to use it in the jungle. Ford Tempo is not made for the jungle terrain. And Evernote is not made for long note taking. It’s made for quick notes with few words that doesn’t require large font to read.

I think we should all submit the suggestion to Evernote support. I don't think the right people read these discussions. I will definitely check out ONE NOTE. Completely nonsensical and frustrating that you can't change increase the font size. 

Caladrio hasn't been back to this thread since December 2017. The seed was in 2012. This issue has been ignored for 5 years?? It's still unresolved? I'm *so* out, if this company isn't going to heed BASIC USABILITY STANDARDS.

Always encouraging when you search to see if there's a way to do something fairly essential...only to find the same request has been been falling on deaf ears...FOR FIVE. YEARS.  Sigh.

I suppose the rationalization that most people don't have high-res screens was...more or less sane in 2012. It certainly isn't in November 2017. I can honestly say that by far the most annoying thing about using a very large screen is having to constantly lean across the table to squint at my list of notes in Evernote. Let's face it, we use that list constantly. It should not be extremely difficult to do so, and with every passing month, the number of users finding themselves doing this increases. HD, ultra wide screens, 4k -- you may have noticed that these things are EVERYWHERE now.  And they all represent people for whom whom Evernote is becoming extremely hard to use.

Well...see you in 2022 (if my eyes haven't been worn out by all the squinting...).

M.

PS Alternatively, couldn't you just make the zoom feature that we use for the notes themselves apply to the program icons?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeffsf said:

It is the SINGLE MOST SIGNIFICANT USABILITY ISSUE WITH EVERNOTE AT THIS TIME.

You can indicate your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

Personally, this isn’t a useability issue I‘ve thought about on my Mac
Not sure I'd want to give up the screen space for a larger font

Yes, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Evernote, just assign one staff member somewhere in your organization to make this happen. It is the SINGLE MOST SIGNIFICANT USABILITY ISSUE WITH EVERNOTE AT THIS TIME. Users have a huge variety of screens, on a huge variety of devices. Individuals have a variety of abilities visually. They work in a great variety of environments. What's the point of modern technology if it isn't used to accommodate the needs of users? What is the use of a rich list of notes if the text of that list is painfully difficult to read? If you recognize the need for flexibility in the text of notes, why not the text in the sidebars? I beg you to fix this.

I tried Evernote after 3 Years again , it still looks like soft. from 1999. 

People ask for more hierarchy in notebooks , they get hierarchy in TAGS

Don't piss them off or THEY WILL DECREASE THE FONT TO 3size, 

AND YOU WILL STILL KEEP USING IT.

They don't care if they lose 1000 customers, what matters is if they gain new 1000 and some more.

ASKING FOR FEATURES JUST MAKES US  SOUND LIKE  WE WORK FOR THEM ,

WHAT % OF DEMANDED FEATURES HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN THE PAST 3 YEARS? 0.01%

DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME SEARCHING,HOPING, THINKING THAT CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. 

I'M DONE AGAIN WITH THIS 1999 APP AFTER 2h of USE.

I wish it has an option to bold lists' titles in Fragment View just like notebooks' titles on the left panel. Actually, it would be better to adjust its font, but it seems like asking too much...

Does anyone know a workaround? I am reading the forums for days and I can't find anything.

I'd love to be able to set a specific default font for a Notebook's contents.  Like most users I have different notebooks and being able to differentiate the contents with a subtle change in their presentation would be great. Courier for the coding notebook, Times for the recipe notebook. etc.

Most of you probably already figured this out but for those who haven't: while it is not possible to change the font size, you can make the font in the lefthand menu bold, which does help a bit qua readability.

Right-click on a notebook or tag, then 'style', then check the 'bold' box (and where possible 'set as default')

Being that this post initiated in2012 and four years later it is still a BIG issue, I doubt evernote will ever fix it.  It's a shame, bc it seems so simple.  Is there a fee-based version of Evernote with more formatting options?  Seems like they wouldn't object to taking our $ for something we've been requesting for years.

I, too, am looking for a way to change the default font size.

It is easy enough to change manually but that doesn't get around the fact that I have to change it manually for each and every note that I create.

Evernote is  not a very good word processor. I've been able to change the default font size on my word processors all the way back to WordPerfect without too much difficulty.

I guess were stuck with this compromise

When I switched to EN from ONeNote, one of my hesitancies was the clean look of OneNote.  I found EN interface appearance to be busy.  Looking at OneNote again, I'm going back.  I am a big MS user (Outlook, Word, Publisher, Excel etc) and I'm going back to OneNote for good.  I've watched videos on the comparisons and poked around the 2 side by side and OneNote is overall, more appealing.  One of the things that someone told me, although I haven't confirmed this, is that if you aren't connected to WIFI or data on your phone, you can't see your notes in EN whereas OneNote you can.  Again, a good friend of mine who is a huge Apple fan, loves OneNote and... she has a great love for her MS Surface for work.  Ironically enough... I'm typing this on my MS Surface.  Decision made... switching back to OneNote.

I didn't when you asked the question but now I do... no, it does't seem to be adjustable however, I couple of things I am noticing on that front...

Looking at them side by side on the same monitor, the OneNote font is a bit bigger but more surprising the font is much crisper.  It looks like the one note font and all the text seems fuzzy.  That might be a big part of the problem.  It's like my eyes aren't completely focused.

• Level 5*

Interestly enough I switched from OneNote a couple or years ago and came to this forum discussion because I'm frustrated that I can't increase the programs font size.

I definitely agree Evernote needs to provide us with the ability to change the program, the EN app, font size.

For each section of the EN app, it would be way cool if Evernote would allow us to select the font name and size.

Have you found that OneNote gives you any control over fonts used in the app?

If so, please describe.

I just upgraded my office PC's and my MAC user friends are raving about OneNote.  Interestly enough I switched from OneNote a couple or years ago and came to this forum discussion because I'm frustrated that I can't increase the programs font size.  With my recent subscription to Office 365, I guess I'm looking at OneNote again and quite possibly ditching EverNote....  I'm amazed that EverNote hasn't given a response to this request that so many people are making, particularly iOS users.

Hi,

Just want to join the crowd & asking for some settings just to adjust font size in the app.

For people with impaired vision it's particularly crusial - very difficult to see at glance all your tag's names, a name of the notebook etc.

That does not help at all to work with such potentially great product efficiently.

Please, make it possible. If you are willing to do that.

I agree. I cannot imagine how a single font family / text size would be better for the user experience. I am hoping the missing font control is something they plan to add back into the app later. However, in this case it should be noted that the Windows app, which usually has more features, actually lacks control over anything besides the note content, so in a sense, the Mac app is matching the features available on Windows. Ideally, I'd like to see both desktop applications give us control over all aspects of the user interface.

Thanks for understanding and support, GrumpyMonkey.

I see that you are really teasing and pushing the EN team to improve their product

and you're doing it intelligently and sensibly.

Real Evangelist! But not grumpy :)

I would like to add my voice to the chorus. Changing the font size is crucial because if you use the Evernote app on an iPhone, an iPad, and from the browser, the font sizing inevitably gets mismatched, no matter how careful you are. It's definitely a deficit of the tool.

Beyond font sizing, changing font colors would also be extremely helpful in capturing changes or proposed edits to an existing document. Pages does a good job with this (though I'd much prefer a solution that wouldn't require me to take my hands from my bluetooth keyboard.)

I totally agree.  Evernote needs to be allow users to be able to set the phone size.  Right now it is totally illegiable looking at the list of notes...until I've been up for a few hours.  So I wake up in the middle of the night and go to look for a note and it's just really hard to read and can't do anything to change the font size...  I'm using an iphone 5.  Just makes me want to go back to other apps where I can change the font size easily...instead of Evernote!!!

My request is above in case you missed it.

IF you can't read the above in the forum...then I guess you should use a magnifier.  It's just a bit small, but I can read that because of the nice sharp contrast between black and white on my computer screen.  Of course, that would tend to glare at you if you're on a bright mobile device, so I understand why people might want to use gray's.

Make a great day! :) 

• Level 5*

I too would like to add my support for being able to increase the display font size on tablets and such.  As an older person with poor eyesight, I purchased a large tablet reading device because I could increase the type size allowing me to read books again.  Although this may be the best application for taking notes in the whole wide world, its inflexibility makes it inaccessible and unusable for people with poor vision.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Would you like me to move this to the Android or iOS forums? You said you were using a tablet.

If you are on the Mac, you can adjust the default font size in your Preferences. Unfortunately, though, as a "default," the tablet will not know that the font size is larger. In order to make the text in your note larger on both the Mac and the tablet, you have to select all (CMD+a) and change the font size (see the toolbar at the top of the note). This is not the "default," so the tablet knows to make the text larger.

The user interface fonts, unfortunately, are fixed on every platform recently, and there is no way that I know of to change them. I am hoping that this will change in the future (actually, a reversion to past functionality). I am not so old, and I have great vision, but I still don't like small text in many places, and I certainly don't like being forced to use some of these fonts. The mix of fonts (in my opinion) on the Mac is quite unpleasant -- I think typographically interested users would agree here. It's all over the place.

A minor point, to be sure, but when you use the app almost 24/7, it gets to feel like a major one!

I too would like to add my support for being able to increase the display font size on tablets and such.  As an older person with poor eyesight, I purchased a large tablet reading device because I could increase the type size allowing me to read books again.  Although this may be the best application for taking notes in the whole wide world, its inflexibility makes it inaccessible and unusable for people with poor vision. 

i would use Evernote a lot more if I could adjust the font size. Evernote is a productivity tool, and squinting at small type on small screens isn't productive at all. 

Exactly. 

I love Evernote, I use it for work, for my personal organizing, and I have always recommended it to people I work with.

But in terms of the mobile version I want to remind the developers that not everyone uses Evernote seated at a well lit desk, and not everyone has perfect vision.  I don't wear glasses at all, not for reading or my laptop or crafts or sewing, but there are plenty of times Evernote makes me squint and slows me down.  I use it for cataloging and indexing everything - books, music, furniture, locations, cars, receipts, business cards, contracts, estimates - and again, not everything that needs Evernote-ing exists in a well lit room.  And not everyone I hand my device to so they can look at something I have indexed in Evenote has perfect vision either.  It just seems so obvious.   I think Evernote is the only app I use regularly that doesn't allow me to adjust the font. 

If Evernote wants to be indispensable, and it almost is,  then it has to be adaptable, flexible - useable!

I would like to concur with this. We should be able to change the font size of most elements in the UI. In particular, we should be able to use smaller icons on the sidebar and choose the font of lists.

Additionally, the iOS client has the exact same problem: you can't choose the default font size for reading and/or writing. A much better UI can be found in applications like Day One for example, which provides one of the most amazing writing UI I've seen on iOS.

I really do hope this can come to Evernote. It will be a much better app for it.

I agree. I cannot imagine how a single font family / text size would be better for the user experience. I am hoping the missing font control is something they plan to add back into the app later. However, in this case it should be noted that the Windows app, which usually has more features, actually lacks control over anything besides the note content, so in a sense, the Mac app is matching the features available on Windows. Ideally, I'd like to see both desktop applications give us control over all aspects of the user interface.

Actually Grumpy in Windows you can adjust the DPI of the whole screen which EN responds too as well as menu text, titles etc. individually (all part of windows screen settings). Although this affects all apps which may not be what you are looking for?

Yeah this is different - the font family/size for file system navigation is one thing, and for the menus in evernote that's fine, but since the tag hierarchies, list view, etc. are part of a broader UI experience that you interface with more regularly, it makes sense to be able to control that. I don't see how that detracts from the user experience.

I just started using evernote and I like it, I've tried OneNote, MS Word, and pen and paper for keeping miscellanious notes recorded, but I'm going to continue looking for greener pastures.

+1

In general the lack of customizability in the user interface is atrocious. Any third-string buggy music player freeware has customizable UI options, and MS Word doesn't need it because it just presents you with a nice blank sheet of paper.

In a program where you're main attraction is navigation options, you should really allow more tailoring of how those look and operate.

I would pay a premium if it gave access to UI customization, more rigorous list handling and margin/indent handling with a ruler, and control over the display view of the writing window.

MS word can't compete with evernote because it's not built to provide that quality of entry navigation - but it still has a better more easily tailored and comfortable writing interface.

The lack of choices in evernote is not appealing - a 'simplified' one-size-fits-all scheme may be ***** and contemporary in theory, but to each user it just gets annoying. Add granular customization options please.

• Level 5*

Hi,

Just want to join the crowd & asking for some settings just to adjust font size in the app.

For people with impaired vision it's particularly crusial - very difficult to see at glance all your tag's names, a name of the notebook etc.

That does not help at all to work with such potentially great product efficiently.

Thanks for understanding and support, GrumpyMonkey.

I see that you are really teasing and pushing the EN team to improve their product

and you're doing it intelligently and sensibly.

Real Evangelist! But not grumpy :)

I hope the developers see my comments in the spirit in which they were intended. If they don't, I'll start posting in light grey Comic Sans, which is apparently one of those core fonts we ought to all be using :)

Not to be too hard on the font, which I actually used to use a lot, but I can't imagine how it is more useful than some of the other "standard" ones like Courier New.

There's a fine rant on this subject on the back page of this month's Macworld. It's primarily about Apple's choice in fonts (tiny and illegible) for some new applications, but it applies equally well to Evernote 5.

I also have pretty good vision for a 50-mumblesomething, but it's not up to the Evernote 5 sidebar. I went through a bunch of notetaking applications when I first switched back to OS X a few years ago. I stopped at Evernote both because it was an elegantly useful product for taking notes and because resizable font support meant that I could find and read those notes. Before Evernote 5 I would use Evernote many times a day, but I started it up today and then realized that it was the first time since I upgraded. Sad.

• Level 5*

Actually Grumpy in Windows you can adjust the DPI of the whole screen which EN responds too as well as menu text, titles etc. individually (all part of windows screen settings). Although this affects all apps which may not be what you are looking for?

That is an extreme and disruptive barely-solution to a problem that should be resolved within the app. Adjusting the DPI affects, as you say, every app, all the territory on your screen like menus & docks & icons, and it can make things very fuzz. I strongly advise against doing that via you Monitor or Display Preferences. There are some apps, for people with vision limitations, that can make more subtle adjustments without ruining all your screen elements, but they are pricey & not really a solution. EN can already change the font size within notes, extending that capability/scalability to the structure of the page should be do-able.

True. You could also use the magnifier. But why? A notetaking app that doesn't allow you to change the font size does seem a bit strange. Yeah, I know. That's what people always say -- a notetaking app ought to have X or it isn't a notetaking app at all. In the case of basic textual elements like the font family and text size, though, I'd say that is a fair criticism. And, for visually impaired users, it really helps to have control over these elements.

I'm not burning with the desire to see it myself, but on the other hand, it does seem like a fairly basic and easy-to-justify feature.

That is an extreme and disruptive barely-solution to a problem that should be resolved within the app. Adjusting the DPI affects, as you say, every app, all the territory on your screen like menus & docks & icons, and it can make things very fuzz. I strongly advise against doing that via you Monitor or Display Preferences. There are some apps, for people with vision limitations, that can make more subtle adjustments without ruining all your screen elements, but they are pricey & not really a solution. EN can already change the font size within notes, extending that capability/scalability to the structure of the page should be do-able.

Yes, please - I have good vision for a 50-mumblemumble person, but being able to adjust the font would be excellent.

What might be readable on a desktop iMac in good light on an easy workday is not so easy to read on a 13" MacBookPro out at a jobsite at the end of long day, especially if you work in the list view. Most apps with a similar layout - like Mail or iTunes or iPhoto - allow for adjusting the fonts.

• Level 5*

Hi,

Hi,

I went back to another mac where I still have Evernote 3.3 instead of the new evernote 5. I was reminded that we used to have an option to set a default text size for the "Source list", "Note list" and the "Note text". Am I right that in Evernote 5 we now only have control over the "Note text" font size?

Here's a link to a screenshot: http://imgur.com/08SkS

Please make scale-able default text-size available in Windows 4.5 as well - for the interface and within notes. I like the control + font-size bump but would like a way to up my default. For those of us whose eyesight is deteriorating, but love our Evernote. I want to keep using this program, but I'm not getting any younger.

Dear Evernote creators -

How many complaints do you have to see before you address this issue?  That this lack of a basic feature is life & work-affecting?  Complaints with well-explained real-world examples of how this ridiculous lack of a basic feature is significantly limiting the overall usefulness of your otherwise excellent app in professional situations.  I can't count on using use Evernote for everything professionally because of this limitation - stopping to scroll down or re-size text every time I need to access my files is just a no go.   A warning about the inability to set font size in Evernote is actually written in the the IT dept's app manual at 2 of my clients' firms, particularly in relation to doing quick & dirty presentations from a device.  Seriously, it's a thing now.  They offer suggestions for other apps, free apps too, that do not have this limitation.

Please, Pay Attention!

I am also really struggling with the font issue as I use Evernote on my iPad while I'm in court.  I have a number of scripts that I need to follow so that everyone who appears in front of me gets the same information.  I don't want to drag around a huge binder with all the scripts in it and Evernote has been a godsend.   I can access Evernote on my bench PC, but it's much nicer for me to be able to use the ipad and actually look at the people I'm talking to.  Staring at a computer screen while you're telling someone very important information just doesn't seem appropriate.

The font problem just popped up a little while ago, I'm guessing after I updated my version.  So now when I open one of my scripts on the bench, it immediately becomes unreadable.  

This makes Evernote absolutely unusable for me - which is unfortunate because I originally got it for this exact purpose - I'm trying to drag my little corner of the notoriously backward justice system into the 20th century (20th century first, we'll work on moving into the 21st century after everyone learns to stop hand-writing 20-page rulings and figures out how to use their email) - and this issue unfortunately makes Evernote something I can no longer recommend to my colleagues for use on the bench.

I have noticed that the font stays readable if I have the preview pane open and only select the script, instead of opening it.  So I'm now doing that and just scrolling all the way down the preview pane.  But I'm actively looking for another option.

I can't imagine that no one in the Evernote development team considered that people would want to be truly mobile with their notes and use their tablet and smartphones in meetings or situations like mine where a script or speech is stored in Evernote.  For a company that has been so perceptive to the need for a mobile note-taking system, and generally responsive to issues, the failure to address this font size issue is incredibly short-sighted.  

For me, this makes a really great program USELESS

I have stopped using evernote entirely - I am NOT well organized

BUT

Neither am I frustrated by this stupidity - ANY OS X program should be able to adjust ANY type face.

I HAVE PERFECT VISION - BUT THIS PROGRAM SUCKS - EVERNOTE DOES NOT EVEN POST A REASON FOR SMALL TYPE.

​What are people who are visually impaired supposed to do ?

Some one should report these a-holes to to the Americans with Disabilities crowd for disciplining.

Please make post if ANYTHING changes - this has gone on for WAY too long.

ARE THE FOLKS AT EVERNOTE BLIND or DEAF ?

(DON'T CARE)

D0 THEY EVER READ OR RESPOND TO FORUM ISSUES ?

LOOK HOW EASY IT IS TO CHANGE FONT SIZE IN FORUM !

post-61675-0-87262300-1403646929_thumb.j

post-61675-0-98614100-1403646946_thumb.j

I totally agree.  Evernote needs to be allow users to be able to set the phone size.  Right now it is totally illegiable looking at the list of notes...until I've been up for a few hours.  So I wake up in the middle of the night and go to look for a note and it's just really hard to read and can't do anything to change the font size...  I'm using an iphone 5.  Just makes me want to go back to other apps where I can change the font size easily...instead of Evernote!!!

My request is above in case you missed it.

IF you can't read the above in the forum...then I guess you should use a magnifier.  It's just a bit small, but I can read that because of the nice sharp contrast between black and white on my computer screen.  Of course, that would tend to glare at you if you're on a bright mobile device, so I understand why people might want to use gray's.

Make a great day! :) 

This would be a great feature.

I installed Evernote on my iPhone and iPad a few months ago at the recommendation of a friend.  Unfortunately, I am blessed with low visual acuity that makes it impossible for me to read the first notes I tried writing - even on the iPad - so I uninstalled the app, figuring that someday Evernote would enhance the product with the ability to adjust font sizes.  I installed again today and to my surprise, the feature still doesn't exist.  The odd thing is that you can do just about any other font and paragraph formatting (bold, indent, bullets, etc).

To the indestructable Evernote engineers with 20/20 vision:  Send this to Marketing.

To Evernote Marketing:  You know will lose a significant market share if and when another developer launches a similar product with app and document font size flexibility.  I'll uninstall and keep my otherwise very good eyes open for just such an app.

PS - Font size increased for those who can't read the instructions on medicine bottles (probably 30% of the market for productivity apps, and growing FAST).

I came here at the suggestion of the Evernote support team. It seems what I asked about is the subject of much discussion! I was told that the people who work on the app take suggestions from here......

Font size is a basic accessibly requirement, especially for someone like me who has a visual disability. What is the point of an app if no one can see it? I wonder if there is scope in the DDA (disability discrimination act) on this, when help has been consistently requested for over a year.

I wrote this to the support team: I need the ability to increase font size in iPad version of Evernote.

I have that editing ability on my mac, which is helpful for note taking.... But I'd rather do note taking on my iPad.

I have visual problems. I'd just like the ability to actually see my notes.

I would also find this useful on my android phone.

The ability to increase font size globally would also be helpful so I can see the names of folders and notes lists too.

So come on Evernote developers - the option the increase font size within the WHOLE app, not just the note taking bit, is a vital need, especially when it comes to basic accessibility.

• Level 5*

Would be great to be able to adjust the Evernote application font size. That is, the font(s) that are used in the side panels, the list of notes, note cards, snippets, etc. I can make the text I type into notes as big as needed, but I still have to squint at the list view (especially with high-res displays).

A global setting in the Preferences / Options would be sufficient, but even better would be some keyboard shortcuts to zoom in or out

IT is now 2014 and it seems that NOTHING has changed !

​Has anyone found a solution ?

Does anyone at Evernote ever read (or reply) to these postings ?

Hi. It was 2013 last year and will be 2015 next year :)

The developers will do what they think is best for the app. In this case, they removed our control over the font sizes a couple of years ago (on Mac). We can discuss it here in the user forums, but I wouldn't expect developers to jump into the conversation (sometimes they do, but not always). If you want a response from Evernote, contact support (see my signature).

I am sure they are aware of the request -- I know I have certainly posted a lot with it. However, it never hurts to add your use case. It might persuade them to rethink their decision.

IT is now 2014 and it seems that NOTHING has changed !

​Has anyone found a solution ?

Does anyone at Evernote ever read (or reply) to these postings ?

I'm sorry to say that I raised this issue with Evernote and was blown off (see their response below).  Basically, I have a high-resolution screen and not only are the fonts tiny, but the menus actually become distorted and illegible.  For example, when I drop down the text size menu, the options are completely hidden as the menu is 1 mm wide.  

This isn't a matter of feature preference.  This is a basic failure of functionality of their software.  If everyone from OneNote to Asana can get this right, why can't Evernote?  Here was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Evernote customer support. We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in theEvernote forums."

I went back to another mac where I still have Evernote 3.3 instead of the new evernote 5. I was reminded that we used to have an option to set a default text size for the "Source list", "Note list" and the "Note text". Am I right that in Evernote 5 we now only have control over the "Note text" font size?

Thanks for:

This shows the stumblebums at Evernote exactly how to
re"implement" a most valuable feature.
I thought that i was "mis-remembering" how to change font size(s) within the application

Thank you, wrtrick.  I started out with the PC version and it has an adequate editor.  As does the one provided for writing this post.  I don't need much to write myself notes.  I have created note files with different tools ever since I bought my first PC in the mid 80s.  As I move from tool to tool, I can usually import the old notes and keep going.  I am using Evernote as my current tool.

The "shocks" came when I started using the iPad Evernote app.  When I had problems, Evernote Support was passable and the sync issues I had between the iPad and PC seem to have finally gone away.  But the font size issue has a long history and that does not bode well for the long term success of the iPad product.  

We have two PCs and two iPads in this business, so Evernote iPad functionality should be the same on all platforms.  Trying to paste content from emails or LinkedIN into an Evernote drives me nuts because of font issues.  Using the Remove Formatting button with selected text is useless - it applied it to the whole note; all the bullets and indents and so on turned into a mess.  

When it comes to the iPad, Evernote is not saving my time.  And that is enough for me to start playing with add-ons for work arounds and historically, that is my prelude to changing products.

If you do not listen to your customers you will lose them. Your persistence and instance in not providing font management and so on simply forces every iPad Evernote users to say: "I will change apps when someone else provides a better service". I made that decision today.

I agree, although the problem isn't just on iPads. What are you using note management now? I'm still looking for a replacement.

Evernote Management -- please take note.

If you do not listen to your customers you will lose them. Your persistence and instance in not providing font management and so on simply forces every iPad Evernote users to say: "I will change apps when someone else provides a better service". I made that decision today.

Your long term future is in your hands. Listen to your customers or lose them.

A WORKAROUND that I have found until they increase the view sizing in the desktop (client) version of Evernote is to switch to using their web based version (www.evernote.com and sign in).  Internet browsers allow you to View-->Zoom or increase the size of the web page.  Makes my notes much more readable.  But please add this to the client version soon.

EVERNOTE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT TEAM, PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!     stop ignoring your clients with small-screen ultrabooks!

It is Oct 2013 now, I was looking for a solution to the font size problem on Macs since I just bought an MBA 13" and I stumble upon a forum where the same need has been expressed since November 2012 at least, and such need has not been addressed yet? 

I'm experimenting with note web-based software to make a choice for the rest of my schooling and I'm finding challenge in all:

• Evernote - the font issue and the cutting-and-pasting issue (from multiple platforms, Win 8 app, Mac OS app, web-based, iphone, etc)
  • Google Drive - No Notebook template nor features (but reliable since document always looks the same)
  • Dropbox - great storage but can't edit live without the download, edit, save, upload circus
  • OneNote - not available in MacOS (as part of MS Office for Mac, not even in Office 360 University)
  • Others are good in one platform but not on both...

I don't mind experimenting but would like to unify my notes sooner than later. If any comments let me know! :)    

Evernote: the time for FONT SIZE control is here ...now!  People are making choices.

https://twitter.com/MondoTechnoir

Oct 2013

Just as a note, the web interface to Evernote allows you to change text to a range of colors, to upsize and downsize, and to change fonts.    These are all awesome features just as they are.   It would be well more than sufficient, actually it would be great, if these features could just be migrated from the web interface to the iPad and iPod. 

(I'll also note that the interface for entering this comment into this forum also has all those features, as well.)

Another request for font control.

I've been using computers as my "peripheral brain" for 25 years.  My collection is more than 20,000 pages.  I've used QuickNote, TextBase, 1Note, Treepad, Zim and lots of others. I really want to change everything over to Evernote because it does EVERYTHING I've wanted in all that time.  I'm even willing to do all the work to convert.  Problem is this font size thing is a deal killer. 

There are a lot of tutorials.... many by Evernote staff... encouraging users to put Evernote on everthing.  That's what I want to do: my Linux desktop, my tablet (rooted Nook), and my smart phone.  The only way I could do it would be to carry a magnifying glass around my neck.

Even beyond needing to be able to set device level or document level default font sizes... there's the problem of cutting and pasting from web sites.  I frequently wind up with a mix of huge and tiny fonts.  IMHO we need font control in editing more than underlining or strike through or much of that other stuff already there... and we're not just talking the mac here.

Please.

John - a sixty something year old who really NEEDS a peripheral brain.

Archived