Think very carefully before upgrading to 5.0, it's a poorer experience

Sorry, guys

Your new version sucks!

It may have some new features that some people will like but its basic functionality is a retrograde step: on the Mac anyway.

• Instead of having a high productivity layout where I can see a column of notebooks, tags and quick searches on the LHS I now have a navigator pane with several features I never use. (Ok I can switch them off)
  • To get to another notebook is now two clicks instead of one
  • To get to a tag is considerably more laborious. Instead of having a nice compact list of tags: each now takes up the space of 3 in the previous design; they're separated by letters of the alphabet (why????) and it now takes several page downs to reach a particular tag.
  • The tags have lost their hierarchy: something I make extensive use of.
  • I can't find my quick searches.
  • The UI generally reminds me of a crayon layout like Windows XP rather than the slick layout of Mac OS X.

One question:

How do I revert to version 4

Gareth

Very dissatisfied

Afraid to say I agree.

How can I move notes without having to click twice. Click and drag was SO much quicker. I could move multiple notes then too. (selecting multiple notes crashes my mac so I have to move them one at a time)

why is the ordering of tags messed up? Tags starting with ! and . should be at the top not the bottom.

When I click on the 'notebooks' option I don't even understand it. The notebooks under the stack don't look like their a part of the stack at all. I stared at it for a good 3-4 minutes before I sort of understood what it was trying to do. I almost cried until I realised I could have my list of notebooks back in the sidebar.

I appreciate what you guys were trying to do but adding fancy new features and removing tried and tested useful features isn't the best way to go.

Looking forward to a way to get back to the old version (using the web version for organising and app for creating notes atm (have removed 'shortcuts' 'maps' and 'recently viewed' from the app too)

• Level 5*

How can I move notes without having to click twice. Click and drag was SO much quicker. I could move multiple notes then too. (selecting multiple notes crashes my mac so I have to move them one at a time)

You can drag notes to notebooks in or even shortcuts to notebooks in the sidebar.

Selecting multiples notes shouldn't cause the app to crash, never mind your Mac. Have you opened a support case?

Thanks all for your feedback. I was of the same opinion when I first started using Evernote 5, but after using the new UI for several weeks now I like it. I have more flexibility on what I want to see and not see in the UI. I can have all of my notes, tags display in the left hand nav and with one click navigate to the particular note I need. All of your save searches can be added to the shortcuts section on the left hand nav. I particular like the recent notes feature that I now use very frequently to quickly go to the most common and frequent notes that I use.

It does take some time getting use to it, but you will be amazed at how it is after a few weeks of using it. I am sorry that you feel you need to downgrade after just one day of using it. We are going to be adding some additional features in future releases and we are looking at adding note count and back button too, no promises but we are evaluating every day.

I too would like to know if it's possible to revert to an earlier version, e.g from a Time Machine backup?

The new version just isn't fitting my workflow at all primarily because of the loss of the hierarchical list of tags in the left pane.

I wished I'd bothered to read about the changes in this version before blinding accepting the update.

I so, so, so wish I had seen this before I let it upgrade. Previous upgrades have been good, so I didn't hesitate. But it was a mistake and I am swamped so having to go back and fix it is really bad timing for me.

As much as it pains me, I have to agree: this update really undermines productivity. It feels like a misguided attempt at platform convergence. I don't see any reason that the mobile and desktop platforms should converge. One navigates completely differently. And as noted above, the absence of hierarchical tag listings is a bottleneck in workflow. And not being able to show both notebooks and tags in the sidebar is, too. The additional number of mouse actions (and scrolling time), adds up to a lot of wasted time very quickly.

In an attempt to give it a chance, I tried to at least set up the new interface but I can't get what I need. So now I'm trying to figure out how to roll back. I do have the time machine backup from before it converted my notes. Anybody know if there are other concerns?

I like the new UI, but maybe I'm alone. It is good to see Evernote move forward, even with missteps, rather than being content with past success.

I would advise you to be very careful though if you want to downgrade... even if you got the old version off a backup the database wouldn't be compatible since it was updated for v5. It may even lead to corruption so please wait to see if Evernote answers this before trying to hack together a downgrade.

While for the first 10 minutes I agreed, I quickly realized that with a day of building familiarity and some brief display customization, productivity is increased. As a hardcore productivity nerd, I first perceived the aesthetic focus as an iOS dumbing-down or cartoonish nonsense getting in the way, but it turns out the thoughtful improvements greatly eclipse the window dressing and I'm seeing improvements in access and organizing speed.

To reclaim the old sidebar functionality: Drag your folders to the shortcuts section, and choose the option to display tags in a list in the left hand toolbar, and they will appear as they used to, nested properly ( @apricot13, all my tags beginning w/ "." or "!" are in the proper order, somehow yours must be reversed or buggy). Then the left hand bar will be largely as it used to be, with the bonus of customizable flexibility. All drag and drop functionality into the toolbar is the same, and you now just have extra organizing options.

That being said, I noticed some lag/bugs with certain operations, most notably some reduced functionality when editing notes w/ PDFS in the main window, as opposed to popping them out in a single-note window to edit.

i'm assuming you're talking about saved searches? Those should have imported and are available in the search toolbar. To create new saved searches, go to Edit-->Find-->Save Search.

• Level 5

Thanks all for posting!

Gareth

- "To get to another notebook is now two clicks instead of one" - CMD-J to jump to a notebook has been life-changing for our beta users

- You can expand your tag list in the sidebar by right clicking

- Tags shouldn't have lost their hierarchy

- Saved searches are in the search dropdown. You can drag them to your shortcuts. (Even more customizable!)

Apricot

- Selecting multiple notes should let you drag to notebooks. If not, please open a support request.

- Shortcuts are very powerful and I would encourage you to give them a shot :)

While for the first 10 minutes I agreed, I quickly realized that with a day of building familiarity and some brief display customization, productivity is increased. As a hardcore productivity nerd, I first perceived the aesthetic focus as an iOS dumbing-down or cartoonish nonsense getting in the way, but it turns out the thoughtful improvements greatly eclipse the window dressing and I'm seeing improvements in access and organizing speed.

That's been most of our testers' experiences. We hope to address the rest of your issues soon.

Apricot, so you can't put a notebook in your shortcuts and drag a note to it?

I can do that but I would have to make a short cut for every single notebook which kind of defeats the purpose of a shortcut. and my stacked notebooks wouldn't show up as stacked!

@Jackolicious - that may be ideal for light users, but some of us have THOUSANDS of notes, umpteen dozens of notebooks, hundreds of tags, etc. The new UI may be all nice an eye-candy-ish for new users and light users, but for so-called power users it is a disaster. I could not use it. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I tried - I really did. I read the release notes, I've read all the forum posts and your replies. But even things like the lack of customizable toolbars totally ***** up the way things work.

So, as I have posted on other threads, I've downgraded to a saved version of v3.0.6, with no problems at all. The database re-synced, rebuilt, reindexed, and then it rebuilt the thumbnails. Took a while, but all went smoothly (which says a lot for your robust syncing etc). Now I have v3.0.6 working just fine the way it always did.

But not everyone has a saved downloaded copy of earlier versions, so i think you should offer the most recent pre-v5 version for download, along with all due warnings about backing up database first, etc etc. The downgrade works just fine, for those who want or need to do it.

I think a company should repsect its customers, especially Premium paying ones, and help them roll back to a version that works better than the current one, instead of basically asking us all to be beta testers for what is a highly flawed version with many features missing.

I like the new UI, but maybe I'm alone. It is good to see Evernote move forward, even with missteps, rather than being content with past success.

I think I'm noticing a pattern in who doesn't like/is struggling with the new UI. Seems to me to be a subset of people with a particular, hierarchical or n-d workflow. We're not going to be served very well by something that mimics the more 2-d mobile-ish workflow (ie the absence of stacks in the mobile version was a problem for many). Maybe some extra configurability to let those of us with that style pull in some of the layout structure from earlier versions into the sidebar.

That's been most of our testers' experiences. We hope to address the rest of your issues soon.

Seriously, who has a day to do that? A day! I would (almost) kill for a day; I would use it to sleep. Thank you for posting the link to the legacy version so I don't have to take that time right now! I really appreciate it.

@Jackolicious - that may be ideal for light users, but some of us have THOUSANDS of notes, umpteen dozens of notebooks, hundreds of tags, etc. The new UI may be all nice an eye-candy-ish for new users and light users, but for so-called power users it is a disaster. I could not use it. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I tried - I really did. I read the release notes, I've read all the forum posts and your replies. But even things like the lack of customizable toolbars totally ***** up the way things work.

This! Exactly this.

I think a company should repsect its customers, especially Premium paying ones, and help them roll back to a version that works better than the current one, instead of basically asking us all to be beta testers for what is a highly flawed version with many features missing.

I do feel a bit like it has to do with our particular workflow styles (which from your comments seem similar). I haven't hit bugs so much as a broken workflow, so it doesn't feel beta to me. On the other hand, I do concur on providing the older versions, not just for those of us who are premium but for anybody who needs them (I know a lot of students who don't feel like they can afford premium but still rely on evernote, and end of term is coming fast). Maybe with a great big caveat about database corruption and backups.

-ct

So, I too was a little upset that my notebooks "disappeared." I thought, "this is dumb." But it took me all of about 5 minutes of trolling the new menus to see that I could turn the list of notebooks on or off in the VIEW menu. I like the shortcut menu - I dragged several of my most prominent notebooks there and the rest I have turned off. I like the upgrade overall, having just played today with it. We'll see how it goes.

I wish I could customize the button bar at the top of the screen and put an "email note" button in there. I haven't liked the two click to email a note that came with v.4, but I will probably live with it.... :-) Hey! I love Evernote....

I'll also have to agree with the warnings about upgrading.

The most immediate difficulty I'm having is eyestrain resulting from the tiny grays scale fonts and oddly contrasting panels. I'll admit that Evernote 5 is pretty, but it's not something that I can attempt to read for more than a few seconds at a time. This may be what ends up forcing me back to an earlier version for now.

A second issue is search. Searching on a combination of tags and then text was very easy in the earlier version. I could click on a tag in the side bar, type some text in the search window and quickly focus in on what I needed. I select a tag now on the side bar (where I added them), type some text, and the tag part gets thrown away. Yes - I can type "tag:name" into the search field, or select with the pulldown in the search box, but both are very clunky compared to Evernote 4. I also used to be able to selectively remove/add search terms. That function appears to be gone as well. Overall, search went from the very best (for me) feature of Evernote to something that feels very unintuitive and awkward.

Like many others, I was caught completely off guard by this upgrade and it cost me a full day of productivity initially. (my current work-around is to use my Macbook Pro to remotely access my office PC which is still running the old version... this solution is annoying at best).

I was pleased to learn I could turn off the atlas, trunk, and recent notes in my sidebar and bring back my list of nested notebooks and nested tags, however one extremely critical flaw remains.

One of my favorite and most powerful features of the old EN was the ability to filter notes by command clicking on multiple tags. This no longer seems to be possible... I cant even see just the notes with a specific tag under a single notebook. If I click a tag it shows me ALL notes with that tag regardless of what notebook it's in, and always only 1 tag at a time.

If there's a way around this and I just don't see it, someone please please tell me asap.

Thank you!

(edited to correct typo)

• Level 5*

Like many others, I was caught completely off guard by this upgrade and it cost me a full day of productivity initially. (my current work-around is to use my Macbook Pro to remotely access my office PC which is still running the old version... this solution is annoying at best).

I was pleased to learn I could turn off the atlas, trunk, and recent notes in my sidebar and bring back my list of nested notebooks and nested tags, however one extremely critical flaw remains.

One of my favorite and most powerful features of the old EN was the ability to filter notes by command clicking on multiple tags. This no longer seems to be possible... I cant even see just the notes with a specific tag under a single notebook. If I click a tag it shows me ALL notes with that tag regardless of what notebook it's in, and always only 1 note at a time.

If there's a way around this and I just don't see it, someone please please tell me asap.

Thank you!

I am not sure why you would get only one note at a time. I recommend becoming familiar with the advanced search grammar. notebook: and tag: will do the work for you. For example, put "notebook:work tag:meeting tag:2011" into the search field to find all notesi in your "work" notebook with those two tags. Add or remove tags as necessary. If you save the search (edit > find > save search) then you can drag that into the shortcuts bar and have the search handy.

One of my favorite and most powerful features of the old EN was the ability to filter notes by command clicking on multiple tags. This no longer seems to be possible... I cant even see just the notes with a specific tag under a single notebook. If I click a tag it shows me ALL notes with that tag regardless of what notebook it's in, and always only 1 note at a time.

Thank you!

Have you tried using the little Tag dropdown at the top of the note list? You can get to it with Shift+Command+J, and when you select a tag, it does respect the current notebook you are in. Here's what I just tested:

1. Switched to my "Book Journal" notebook

2. Shfit+Cmd+J. The tag drop down shows me a flat list of tags, BUT they are only tags that are used within the notes in the that notebook, which is nice.

3. Selected a tag. View immediately filtered to show me JUST notes in the Book Journal notebook with the selected tag.

4. Clicked the tag drop down again (there IS a bug here in that Shift+Cmd+J doesn't work to reopen the tag panel already - I hope they fix this)

5. Now my tag list is even smaller, as it only reflects tags assigned to the visible notes.

6. Click an additional tag. Now I'm seeing just notes IN the notebook assigned all the specified tags.

It probably isn't quite as quick as clicking multiple tags in the tree, but it DOES do the filtering.

A big flaw with this is that the search box for the tags is tiny, so once you pick more than one or two tags, you can't see all of the ones listed in the box. Also, I think that selecting tags in this way SHOULD also update the search bar with the advanced "tag:" criteria so that you could see how to build the search manually if needed.

Thank you!

I am not sure why you would get only one note at a time. I recommend becoming familiar with the advanced search grammar. notebook: and tag: will do the work for you. For example, put "notebook:work tag:meeting tag:2011" into the search field to find all notesi in your "work" notebook with those two tags. Add or remove tags as necessary. If you save the search (edit > find > save search) then you can drag that into the shortcuts bar and have the search handy.

Sorry it was late and I was tired, I meant to say one TAG at a time.

I do have a few saved searches which do work well to combine tags or search only in specific notebooks, but I simply cannot create a specific search for every possible combination of selections that I might use. The permutations are exponential. And typing them out each time is actually more time consuming and less intuitive than the command+click, click, click that I'm used to. The fact that you couldn't do this on the iOS app was the most frustrating part of those apps, and to bring that limitation to the desktop app was unthinkable to me. I'm not hating on the new design, I just don't see why it was necessary to remove this functionality from the sidebar.

Thank you!

Have you tried using the little Tag dropdown at the top of the note list? You can get to it with Shift+Command+J, and when you select a tag, it does respect the current notebook you are in. Here's what I just tested:

1. Switched to my "Book Journal" notebook

2. Shfit+Cmd+J. The tag drop down shows me a flat list of tags, BUT they are only tags that are used within the notes in the that notebook, which is nice.

3. Selected a tag. View immediately filtered to show me JUST notes in the Book Journal notebook with the selected tag.

4. Clicked the tag drop down again (there IS a bug here in that Shift+Cmd+J doesn't work to reopen the tag panel already - I hope they fix this)

5. Now my tag list is even smaller, as it only reflects tags assigned to the visible notes.

6. Click an additional tag. Now I'm seeing just notes IN the notebook assigned all the specified tags.

It probably isn't quite as quick as clicking multiple tags in the tree, but it DOES do the filtering.

A big flaw with this is that the search box for the tags is tiny, so once you pick more than one or two tags, you can't see all of the ones listed in the box. Also, I think that selecting tags in this way SHOULD also update the search bar with the advanced "tag:" criteria so that you could see how to build the search manually if needed.

YESSSS... I did not see the filter by tag dropdown menu before. As you said, this is not as quick as my old method, but it certainly is something I can work with and will stave my version rollback for the time being. Thank you!

I have more flexibility on what I want to see and not see in the UI. I can have all of my notes, tags display in the left hand nav and with one click navigate to the particular note I need. All of your save searches can be added to the shortcuts section on the left hand nav. I particular like the recent notes feature that I now use very frequently to quickly go to the most common and frequent notes that I use.

Some of that may indeed be good. I don't have the old version around for a direct comparison. But

• Is there an efficient way to get your all tags into the left hand nav except having to copy them all there (by single selection from the tabs and then dropping them in) and having to keep up adding new ones and sorting them alphabetically. It was kind of nice having all the tags there to sort notes while reviewing them.
  • If I look at the web client that has still the tags there, I also see that some of the groups are collapsible. That's also nice. If I have all my tags and things in the new client, I have to scroll forever down through the shortcuts (well, my tags are there now) to get to other sidebar functionality. The left sidebar strikes me as very inefficient once you start trying to use it.

It does take some time getting use to it, but you will be amazed at how it is after a few weeks of using it. I am sorry that you feel you need to downgrade after just one day of using it. We are going to be adding some additional features in future releases and we are looking at adding note count and back button too, no promises but we are evaluating every day.

I guess we have no choice other than getting used to it.

I hope that these new features are focusing on getting back some functionality; Real Corinthian Leather would not be a feature that I welcome.

• Level 5*

Is there an efficient way to get your all tags into the left hand nav except having to copy them all there (by single selection from the tabs and then dropping them in) and having to keep up adding new ones and sorting them alphabetically. It was kind of nice having all the tags there to sort notes while reviewing them.

Right click on the giant tag icon and select Show Tag List.

• Level 5*

Yeah, lots and lots of complaining on here just because things have changed, which is the same with pretty much every software release I've ever seen.

Spend some time and click about and then criticise if you still want to - I'm not saying there aren't things that I think are wrong with this release, but I'd rather argue from a position of knowledge.

• Level 5*

Yeah, lots and lots of complaining on here just because things have changed, which is the same with pretty much every software release I've ever seen.

Spend some time and click about and then criticise if you still want to - I'm not saying there aren't things that I think are wrong with this release, but I'd rather argue from a position of knowledge.

Well-said. Sometimes things change for the worse, sometimes they change for the better, and sometimes they don't change enough. Whatever happens, though, it is change, and that can be frustrating. I think it is to be expected with any major update.

Overall, I think the Mac folks have done a great job, and I think the app is definitely worth trying out. You may find that it doesn't quite fit your use-case or workflow, but as long as you keep a copy of the old version around, or you have Parallels/Fusion on your machine, then you'll be fine. Before doing any major updated (no matter what the application), it is a good idea to backup beforehand :) At any rate, I'd encourage everyone to give it a try with an open mind. And, feel free to ask questions here -- we'll be happy to help out!

Let's all just hope that they don't change the Web version of Evernote, accessed via browser.... now that WOULD be a disaster for many, as it is currently the fall-back way to access Evernote when all else gets its knickers in a knot....

And I'd suggest that for those who are not sure, or those like me who have rolled back to the previous version, keep reading these forums. There is a wealth of information here, and while currently there are a lot of complaints, it will become apparent when those complaints start to die out that it may be worth trying v5 again.

It's just a pity that we can't ADD the new version alongside the old version while we play with it and get used to things. As far as I know, it will only overwrite the previous version.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To reclaim the old sidebar functionality: Drag your folders to the shortcuts section, and choose the option to display tags in a list in the left hand toolbar, and they will appear as they used to, nested properly ( @apricot13, all my tags beginning w/ "." or "!" are in the proper order, somehow yours must be reversed or buggy). Then the left hand bar will be largely as it used to be, with the bonus of customizable flexibility. All drag and drop functionality into the toolbar is the same, and you now just have extra organizing options.

That being said, I noticed some lag/bugs with certain operations, most notably some reduced functionality when editing notes w/ PDFS in the main window, as opposed to popping them out in a single-note window to edit.

Jay, thank you so much for posting this. I hadn't yet tried right-clicking on the Tags button in the sidebar. For me "Show Tag List" is the feature that I thought was painfully missing from Evernote 5. This allows the nested tags to show up in the proper hierarchy for use with thesecretweapon.org

• 2 months later...

With the newest update I can't even move the window panes around the way that I want to.

I used to have the (silly) sidebar, then list of notes on top with active note below that.  Now they are stacked side by side with no customization options.

Since v.5 was released it seems like your new strategy is to tell me how I want my evernote to look rather than letting me be in charge.  Reading these posts are frustrating because it seems like you keep saying "we will iterate" but those iterations keep getting worse and worse.

• 5 months later...

I am huge fan of evernote.. It is one of the first important tools in my daily life.

the design on Mac version is ok for me.. But I also have Windows 8 machines.. and that's where new whitish UI design sucks! I didn't get it at least..

Why would you bleach out everything? What was wrong with old dark grey one? Now Mac and Windows versions look completely different.. and it is much more difficult visually to find anything.

In terms of features I do understand you have focus group towards which you were making decisions.. but for god's sake who loves this white new design? :) To me it looks now like default windows notepad in terms of colours.

My vote for the bringing back the same design as in Mac version to the Windows version

• 1 month later...

So how do I make 5-10 new notebooks in a stack easily and productively? Before: click on the stack and create a notebook--boom! It was there is the stack. Now: create a notebook, hunt for it in the list of notebooks, drag it on the stack. THis is not productivity.

The focus is on viewing notes--not making them. We need to be productive too. Please bring back some simple methods for easily creating notes, notebooks in stacks (stop making us do tons of extra work to MAKE NOTES).

Command-N makes a new note. Command-Shift-N makes a new notebook. That's pretty darn quick.

Drag things into a stack whenever you have a moment like when you're sitting on the subway on your way home. 

Is that seriously a big deal? 

So how do I make 5-10 new notebooks in a stack easily and productively? Before: click on the stack and create a notebook--boom! It was there is the stack. Now: create a notebook, hunt for it in the list of notebooks, drag it on the stack. THis is not productivity.

I agree, allowing you to, say, right click on a stack and create a new notebook within that stack would probably be nice. However I hardly think this is software ruining "oversight". Creating notes and notebook is still a one-click or one-key-command away. Stacking them can be done at a later moment once the ideas are down. 

• 1 year later...

New version is horrible. NOR WHAT I PAID FOR ORIGINALLY.

It may have some new features that some people will like but its basic functionality is a retrograde step: on the Mac anyway.

• Instead of having a high productivity layout where I can see a column of notebooks, tags and quick searches on the LHS I now have a navigator pane with several features I never use. (Ok I can switch them off)
  • To get to a tag is considerably more laborious. Instead of having a nice compact list of tags: each now takes up the space of 3 in the previous design; they're separated by letters of the alphabet (why????) and it now takes several page downs to reach a particular tag.
  • The tags have lost their hierarchy: something I make extensive use of.
  • The UI generally reminds me of a crayon layout like Windows XP rather than the slick layout of Mac OS X.

One question:

HOW DO WE GET VERSION 4 BACK???????

Gareth
Very dissatisfied 

I don't understand, you can still show your notebook list in the lefthand side bar (Right-click on "Notebooks" and select "Show Notebook List" to display your notebooks in the LHS. 

Archived