(Archived) Emailing content into Evernote

I often will bcc an email to Evernote so that I can keep the email as part of a notebook. However, I just noticed that only the text appears in the note, without any information about the email (ie the sender, the recipient, etc), thus rendering the note relatively useless to me as I won't know who I even sent it to.

Seems to me it used to work differently but perhaps I just never paid attention. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks

• Level 5

If I need to capture the names of the people who I sent the email to, I will do the following:

1.) Send the email to the recepients

2.) From my Sent Folder, I will forward the sent email (which contains the recipients names) to Evernote.

• Level 5

Glad to help. One reason you might not see this is because some users (myself included) use the email for just the content of the message.

If we need the contacts, then my option can be used.

Thoughts: The to/from info is in the email header, and Evernote obviously doesn't pick it up. I would think that the decision of whether to take it into Evernote would be at the Evernote servers that receive the message. But since it is not part of the email itself, where would they put the info - would they fake an email header? Then also, on an email by email basis, they would have to decide what to do with it or not. So, there would have to be an option on their email receiver to check YOUR options for a special from address, or maybe a special tag in the subject (which you don't want), to decide what to do. Sort of a problem there.

When you do a reply, the header info is copied into the body of the email by your email client, so that's why Evernote includes it (it's then part of the email, right?).

By the way, I believe I read a post recently, maybe in another section, that said that some email clients have a send to PDF, and you could send it to yourself and then move those to the Evernote import folder?

Anyway, just considering the gravity of this request, and options. It got you back to the top of the list, too, so, hey! :-)

Based on the note info, you are to find out the source of the note. If it was sent by email, it would have source: mail.smtp. If it was it was from your android device, it would say mobile.android. Funny how if it was created from evernote web, it says the info is not available.

Toaccess your note info, open the selected note, tap the many button and you should get the view note info button. If not, open the more window the it there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually found this post because I figured this must be possible. I definitely think it would be useful for lots of users. I wanted to be able to channel comments from multiple project collaborators into a single note. Couldn't you just ID the note by including the exact title in the subject line and some key word like "Append"???

Glad to find this forum, and glad to find Evernote. Great product that I recommend constantly to friends and family.

Cheers... Nick

• Level 5*

Not impossible, but one drawback: note titles in Evernote are not guaranteed to be unique, so potentially confusing if you had duplicate titles and your appendage went to the wrong one. Obviously you might also want to specify a notebook as well as a title which could help narrow it down, but even so.

• Level 5*

sounds easy enough. i you know the note's unique address (not title) it could work. in practice, though, it might take a slick ui to make it useful.

it's not a feature i'm interested in using, and i don't think it would take priority over my current wish list of features (i think i have about fifteen main requests i keep posting), but the use case certainly seems like it would appeal to people.

I can see one very useful purpose for it. I very often forward emails to specific notes that I have in EN. For example, every email from my accountant gets forwarded to one note "Accountant emails". What I usually do is to forward it to my inbox and then paste/merge it into the bottom of the Accountant emails note. I do this with a fair number of emails. It would be nice to be able to send it directly to that note and bypass all the other steps. Then again, it's obvious that you would need to know the exact name of the note and there is likely to be a fair number of confusion with similar sounding notes. Perhaps there could be a default that if you did not get the note name 100% correct it would go to your inbox instead.

• Level 5*
How about having a separate notebook for each of these growing notes? Instead appending the new snippets to an existing note simply email them into that notebook. Would that not be as convenient?

I use a separate Inbox notebook for such things. Every so often, I march through the notes there, do tagging, merging and notebook assignments there. Seems to work pretty well for me.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

My Evernote email address is most convenient when I'm using email - a BCC to Evernote means I have a copy of the mail thread somewhere handy as a record and reference. Since you can specify your Note title @pre-existingNotebook #pre-existingTag, it's also very handy for filing some web pages away that are otherwise hard to clip, but do have a 'share this page with a friend' option. With Gmail I can log in from anywhere, but don't want to be copying attachments onto computers that I may not own - so Gmailing to my Evernote address is quick, easy and secure. I seem to use my EN email address several times a week, but I wouldn't know what specifically for..

Since it works as well as clipping or dragging and dropping I'm just lazy enough to use my EN mail whenever it seems easier than any other method, or my email client happens to be open in front of me...

Hi :)

I very rarely use my multiple mail clients when on a desktop. Many are web based, and I am simply too lazy to log into them all and act on them.

What I do is forward any emails that I have to act on into my Evernote account (from tablet or phone), which is always open on my desktop, so I will see and act on them sooner.

I also use it as a quick/simple way to get files into Evernote.

Not the most revolutionary use I guess, but works for me :P

Scott

I used to take advantage of the email facility when the BlackBerry client was much shakier than it is now, particularly for notes with attachments. I still use it for longer text notes, since the BB client only saves when the editor is exited. It is much easier (on the BB at least), to create an email, saving drafts as necessary for backup, before despatching it to my EN account. This also allows me to have multiple new 'notes' in progress simultaneously in the BB email client, something that is not possible with the BB EN app.

My other major use is as a scan destination from a scanner/photocopier at work to save an intermediate 'save as pdf' step. I have also occasionally given trusted people (my family) the address as a destination for information I required from them to go straight to Evernote.

I only use the email option when I really have to. Most of my EN input is from web clippers (desktop) or PDFs (scanning.) Many other notes are either text, screen caps or a combination.

I do use EN as an email archiver. (This was the first thing I started using EN for.) Since I use Outlook b/c of work related emails, I use the ever elusive "Send to Evernote" button from Outlook whenever it's available. When it's not, I forward the emails to EN using my EN email address.

When using my iDevice, I may need to email links or info to EN. I sometimes use the Safari clipper workarounds, but sometimes it's just easier/faster to email the link and/or a screen cap/photo.

In a nutshell, it's not my most used EN input device, but I do use it a lot & am glad it's there.

Backups of any writing I do on my iPad. Forwarded receipts and the monthly statements I get from my bank. I forward various book and reading newsletters I get so I can read through reviews or look at upcoming releases. Oh, and apps or music I want to check out from the iTunes and App Stores. I can't clip from there so I use the Send to a Friend thing to mail it to my Evernote address. If there's something I want to clip from my iPad, I save it in Pocket with the bookmarklet and just clip it when I'm back at my computer but emailing a link to Evernote works too.

And, honestly, since the iPad client has gotten so flaky for me, if I need to jot down a quick note on my iPad, I do it in Mail or PlainText and just email it to my Evernote address rather than deal with the app. Kind of sad but it works.

Brand new user here - longtime tools user & forums user, new to EN. I could have sworn I saw a help screen yesterday about putting "+" at the end of the subject line (to append), but maybe that was some add-in.

Anyway yeah I get it about the complexities so I want a viable workaround for my personal use case: building my list of holiday cards to send. I can see that my best option seems to be creating a @Cards notebook; I'll end up with a slew of title-only notes, but I guess that will work.

One more thought - there's no way to flatten all of a notebook's notes into a single note in that book, is there? That would be unambiguous and would even work recursively - anytime I could select the dozen new entries and do "flatten book," and keep sending new entries, and flatten it again anytime I wanted.

I would like to use it when I send someone an email (or a reply) I'd like to BCC my evernote. That works, the problem is only the text of the email comes into evernote. I would like the name and email of the person I'm sending the email to as well. That way I can search by the person's name at a later date and see a history of all my emails to them. Sort of like a mini-CRM

• Level 5*
One more thought - there's no way to flatten all of a notebook's notes into a single note in that book, is there? That would be unambiguous and would even work recursively - anytime I could select the dozen new entries and do "flatten book," and keep sending new entries, and flatten it again anytime I wanted.

Select All > Merge ?

Because I use Outlook quite extensively and receive in the region of 1,000 emails a week, it would not be practical or make any sense to send them all to Evernote.

When I get an enquiry via email I copy the text into a diary note in the 2012 diary folder in Evernote. An email from a customer is then in green. Any other notes I put on are in black and anything I do to process the enquiry is in red. For the record, every enquiry gets a tick box and is underlined. Once the task is complete the box is ticked. Once the day has been completed the note gets put into 'Diary 2012 - Completed' folder.

Occasionally if a customer or supplier email has a lot of data, it is manually sent to a sub folder under diary called 'email'. I will then 'right' click it and select 'copy note link' then paste into the diary note.

I do have 'automatic' emails going into specific folders. I recently posted how I managed to find a way of doing this in Outlook. If an email comes in from a specific supplier with 'Open Orders' or 'Order Acknowledgment' in the title it is re-directed into the supplier Evernote folder which allows me to check what stock is coming in and what is due in.

Regards

Chris

Select All > Merge ?

Thanks, Grumpy - I'll guess that's something I'll be able to find, though perhaps not in the Web version, only desktop?

(Not trying to be a lazy wuss here - I looked and haven't found it, so I'm just asking. I saw another thread that seemed to say this "flattening" thing only exists in the desktop app. Also wondering - I'm on a Mac, and there seem to be complaints on the Mac App Store that the Windows version has features the Mac one doesn't. Would be good to see a list I guess!)

• Level 5*

Select All > Merge ?

Thanks, Grumpy - I'll guess that's something I'll be able to find, though perhaps not in the Web version, only desktop?

(Not trying to be a lazy wuss here - I looked and haven't found it, so I'm just asking. I saw another thread that seemed to say this "flattening" thing only exists in the desktop app. Also wondering - I'm on a Mac, and there seem to be complaints on the Mac App Store that the Windows version has features the Mac one doesn't. Would be good to see a list I guess!)

Hi. Select two notes on the Web (I think you can only do this with the Command key if you want it to work) and then you will get a dialogue on the right with Merge as one of your options. Test it out first on a couple of "test" notes to get the hang of it.

The Mac app is quite well-done, I think it is improving all the time, and I highly recommend it, but it does lack some of the features that I find useful in my own work. Here is a screen shot to give you an idea of how the two compare. For the time being, until we get a few more of these Windows features on the Mac, I will probably do most of my work in the Windows app (with Parallels, it basically works just like another Mac app and you don't even have to move over to the Windows desktop). For some people, I am sure that the lack of functional parity has little impact, because they don't use the features anyways, so it is certainly worth a try.

https://www.evernote...95698bf3329fdbd

Archived