Password on single notes...

Halogenbarn

Idea

I think the feature for the ability to protect single notes would be nice.

This would make it possible for me to keep Evernote running and not worrying about some notes that is more personal then others..

This could work by right clicking a note and add password on it, the password could be the same as your standard password...

On a side note the "Preview" text of a note also shows some lines of preview (of what is in the note). If again this was a personal thing it would be nice to be able to remove the preview of the first lines of text, to not show whats inside the file..

The current work around is to insert some lines of "blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla" to hide the text from the preview.

// Poul

25 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

encrypting text is helpful, but its unfortunate that it doesnt work for images or attachments. I'd like to be able to photo my credit cards and then encrypt the note ... which is why full-note encryption is so important, of course! Tx for the help.

Yes, that's a known limitation. For encrypting attachments, etc, you'd need to use some separate facility, like encrypted ZIP files that have support on the platforms that you use.

FYI you encrypt entire Notes in the native Notes app on iPhones (iOS 9.3 and above including iOS 10). Same for the recent version of Mac's with OS X El Capitan (as well as macOS Sierra).

Apple's natives Notes app isn't comparable to Evernote in many ways, but if you need to encrypt something but still want easy access across devices, you can use Apple Notes for this purpose if you use Apple's ecosystem of products. I now put my encrypted content there. If Apple continues to improve Notes, I may eventually dump Evernote or severely restrict Evernote use. Still, it's frustrating that Evernote hasn't ever prioritized this. While you can encrypt text, you can't do so for a whole note, and you can't even encrypt text **at all** from within the Evernote app on iOS (though you can unlock encrypted text that you encrypted on the desktop version).

Evernote, please catch up to Apple on this pretty basic functionality that people have been requesting for years (see the start date of this thread)!

I've been using Evernote for a couple years and generally like the platform.  I don't understand why I can't password protect entire notebooks or the entire application on my laptop.  Evernote, this would be the only feature that would make me consider going Premium (hint, hint).  

11 hours ago, ystrawa said:

Hi,

I encrypted some text in a note and I would like to encrypt text in a different note with a different password. So far I have only been able to use the same password. Can I change that password or delete it.and start again?

Hi @ystrawa,

You can use a different passphrase to encrypt text by quitting Evernote (Evernote > Quit Evernote) and relaunching the program. The next time you try to encrypt text, uncheck the Remember passphrase until I quit Evernote option and create a new passphrase for that text. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Hi,

I encrypted some text in a note and I would like to encrypt text in a different note with a different password. So far I have only been able to use the same password. Can I change that password or delete it.and start again?

+1

Passwords for links would be great. Encrypting entire notes (including attachments/images/text all at the same time) would also be great. +1 for the suggestions.

(Encrypting text is helpful but extremely limited. If I want to encrypt a note with text and 2 attachments, I have to encrypt the attachments in a separate program and then bring the into Evernote, and then I have to encrypt the text. That's three encryptions, two of which take place outside of Evernote. Evernote could simplify this.)

Hello all . good to see this discussion. I am looking for this "password lock on single notes" feature from months but i didnt see any option. even updating to premium account also doesnt serve this purpose as it will lock the application then any individual note in the account. 

may I know if you find any alternative to this or are we stil waiting for evrnote to add this feature. thank you merry chirstmas and Happy new year

I password protected some text within a note, and viewed and edited that text successfully (many times). A "dot bar" would appear within the note, signifying that there was protected text, and when I would click on the dot bar I would be prompted for the password. Then, one day I accidentally backspaced over the "dot bar"  - and all my protected text is gone!  Apparently, the dot bar is not just a prompt to input a password but is the only link to the protected text !!  And, since the whole note was not erased, the lost text is not in the Trash.

If anyone knows how to recover this text, please let me know.

Yes, backspacking over the dots is erasing the protected text, just as if you were backspacing over text, an image or any other attachment.  This should not be a surprise.  As far as recovering your note, there is the note history.

Premium users have access to note history.  Note history is taken once every about eight hours.  If you think a good version of your note was on the EN servers for at least eight hours & therefore probably created a note history, you can upgrade to premium to get the note history.  You can upgrade to premium for a single month, which will set you back $5.

Or...if you have a backup of your database.

I password protected some text within a note, and viewed and edited that text successfully (many times). A "dot bar" would appear within the note, signifying that there was protected text, and when I would click on the dot bar I would be prompted for the password. Then, one day I accidentally backspaced over the "dot bar"  - and all my protected text is gone!  Apparently, the dot bar is not just a prompt to input a password but is the only link to the protected text !!  And, since the whole note was not erased, the lost text is not in the Trash.

If anyone knows how to recover this text, please let me know.  

encrypting text is helpful, but its unfortunate that it doesnt work for images or attachments. I'd like to be able to photo my credit cards and then encrypt the note ... which is why full-note encryption is so important, of course! Tx for the help.

I suspect the reason Evernote is not prioritizing encrypting other info is b/c part of their niche is the ability to quickly retrieve info (rather than being a password manager type app).  And they cannot index truly encrypted/secure notes.  You can always use a true password manager or password encrypt the files you put into Evernote.

I know that it is possible to password protect an entire Evernote database, but being able to add an extra layer of an additional password for special notes would make an already awesome program even awesomer!  :)

The tip given here is to password protect text content in a note. If you select all of the text in a note, then you can encrypt that, which may be sufficient to your needs, but it won't encrypt attachments or images.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Jeff.  Actually, I hadn't thought of highlighting the text of a whole note. But what if you encryted a whole note but then later edited it or added new text? How would that effect the existing encryption? Would you have to toss the old encrytion first and then re-encrypt the whole note?  Seems complicated.

When a section of a note is encrypted (or even the whole note content), you can't see the contents normally; there's just a button in its place that you click on and are then asked for the password. When it's decrypted, it appears in a box, and if you add text to that box, it will be part of the encrypted part of the note. If you type outside of the box (or out side of the button, if your text has not been decrypted), then that text will not be included in the encrypted part of the note. It's not that complicated -- give it a try, and you'll figure it out pretty quickly, I think.

As far as password protecting the entire database, I was referring to the fact that you can logout of the whole program in order to protect your information.  In order to get back in you have to login with a password.  Are there any other privacy/encrption mechanisms that I may have missed?

If you log out of Evernote, your note database is still in your file system somewhere (I'm not a Mac person, so I can't tell you where). As far as I know those notes are not encrypted; I'd guess that they are stored in the ENML text format that Evernote uses internally, but I don't know that for sure. In Windows, they are stored inside a SQLlite database, but are otherwise unencrypted.

Some forum users who are more clever and enterprising than me have figured out ways to encrypt the Evernote database when not in use; for all I know, there's an analogous solution for Mac.

Thanks, Jeff.  Actually, I hadn't thought of highlighting the text of a whole note. But what if you encryted a whole note but then later edited it or added new text? How would that effect the existing encryption? Would you have to toss the old encrytion first and then re-encrypt the whole note?  Seems complicated.

As far as password protecting the entire database, I was referring to the fact that you can logout of the whole program in order to protect your information.  In order to get back in you have to login with a password.  Are there any other privacy/encrption mechanisms that I may have missed? 

Thank you so much for your time!

• Level 5*

I know that it is possible to password protect an entire Evernote database, but being able to add an extra layer of an additional password for special notes would make an already awesome program even awesomer!  :)

The tip given here is to password protect text content in a note. If you select all of the text in a note, then you can encrypt that, which may be sufficient to your needs, but it won't encrypt attachments or images.

I think password protecting individual notes is CRITICAL. I would like to be able to store password info and possibly credit card info that I have to use for specific client projects, but I don't want to risk it being discovered. I was a devoted Palm user and it had a great feature where you could lock an individual memo and assign a password to it by just checking a little privacy box next to the memo's title. On my phone the memo would show up in the list of all memos, but its title (i.e. "My Client's Credit Card Numbers") would be grayed out (as in a solid gray bar, not simply grayed out text) so that no hint would be given as to what the content of the memo was. In order to open the memo and access it's information I would have to type in a password that I had assigned. This was an excellent, and to my mind, critical, feature that I would love to see it implemented in Evernote.

Only problem with this is that the encryption does not work on your mobile device - the notes are fully visible on mobiles.

I would think that password protection of notebooks would be an important feature to implement at least for paying customers.

Hmm. My encrypted notes stay encrypted on my iphone. What mobile device are you using?

Only problem with this is that the encryption does not work on your mobile device - the notes are fully visible on mobiles.

I would think that password protection of notebooks would be an important feature to implement at least for paying customers.

On Windows, you highlight the important text then right click, select 'Encrypt Selected Text'

You can then enter a password and hint.

Would be better to just select a note though.

Not sure about Mac though as I am in the office, my Mac computers are at home.

Regards

Chris

Archived