Debayne

Link to Notebook

Idea

Hi guys,

Just a quick query, I know you can create Note Links, but is there any way or if not any plans to allow Notebook links. Let me explain

Our EN structure is a Notebook for each project/lead (I know the arguments about Notebooks vs Tags but it works for us :P ). In each notebook there is a Main Project/Lead note listing all the details of the projects/lead.

We also have a Master Note that lists all the projects, leads etc and it is like an index so we can see at a glance where we are up to.

At the moment in the Master Note, we have note links to the Main project/lead note, but it would be great if we could link to the Notebook not just to the Main Note, so that when we clicked on it it goes straight to the notebook.

I hope this makes sense :unsure:

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

• Like 1

23 replies to this idea

Hi Debbie - not sure what you mean by 'link to notebook'. If your main project note contains a list you could link to that note, or save a search which would lead to that note plus all the others containing a key term or (sorry) an appropriate tag. There's no way (AFAIK) to jump to a specific notebook however, other than to click/ tap on the name.

• Like 1

gazumped is essentially correct. You can also do the same thing using a saved search that specifies only a notebook scope modifier, e.g., "notebook:MyNotebook". This is what clicking on a notebook in the notebook list does behind the scenes.

If it were possible to have a clickable link that specified a search query (yes, Evernote folks, this is a feature suggestion, though I'd be the first to say that I don't know the ramifications of implementing this), then you'd have the ability to accomplish what you want, and much more.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

You have confirmed my suspicions, that there is no way to link to a notebook.

Jefito, the saved search link would also possibly do what I wanted. Great suggestion.

You can generate and use links to Notebooks, Tags, Searches and pretty much anything on iOS in Clever though.

I'd like the ability to link to a notebook as well. In my case, I want to set up closer integration between EN and my GTD system (DoIt.im). For each project in DoIt, I have an associated EN notebook containing reference materials for that project. I want to be able to put a link in the project's description that will take me to the relevant notebook in EN; right now I can put in a note link but that's not ideal as I want to go straight to the notebook, not a particular note.

I'd like the ability to link to a notebook as well. In my case, I want to set up closer integration between EN and my GTD system (DoIt.im). For each project in DoIt, I have an associated EN notebook containing reference materials for that project. I want to be able to put a link in the project's description that will take me to the relevant notebook in EN; right now I can put in a note link but that's not ideal as I want to go straight to the notebook, not a particular note.

This is EXACTLY what I wish was available as well.

One idea that's been batted around (by us users anyways) is the notion of an embedded search link: a saved search that you can stick in a note, such that when you click on it, it executes the search. This would fill the bill, I'd guess, and have plenty of other uses too.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's an awesome idea that would create some great usage scenarios. It does seem like a more challenging effort though.

Direct links to Notebooks seems like something that could be whipped up in a day? No? :P

That would be an amazing feature to have as well as having the ability to sort notes by dragging and dropping and being able to move them around... 

I have lot's of notes in Evernote and great tip for organization all this mess is one INDEX note that have note link (Note>Copy note link) to most important notes. It would be great to create note link for tags and notebooks it 'll simplify tasks as research and study...

PS
Great tips also is Favorites bar (View>Show Favorites Bar). Notebooks, Tags and single note can be drop on it for quick access ;)

I'm new to Evernote (used it years ago when it first came out and just didn't use it). And I'm also new to GTD- here is what I do. I just share the notebook, copy the notebook link (it'll be a public link) and add that to a project note. When I click the link it opens in a new tab and I have to answer the popup that asks how I'd like to view it every time- but at least I have a link to my reference material inside a project note.

So for example- I have a project "Chicken Coop". I use my Project Info Sheet that I keep in my Template notebook (in reference) that has the project name, projected outcome, brainstorming (that I can review for next actions), and reference locations. In the reference locations I list links to any other places I have info on the chicken coop- like my pinterest board that has images for coop and run ideas, etc. (I already had this so no need to add each one to evernote), any google drive docs I may have already, and links to my chicken coop reference notebook- the shared notebook link.

For now it will work- I'd love to be able to add a tag used for any notes I'd collected 'chickens' I guess creating the tag search and coping that link will have to do- great idea!

Hi guys,

Just a quick query, I know you can create Note Links, but is there any way or if not any plans to allow Notebook links. Let me explain

Our EN structure is a Notebook for each project/lead (I know the arguments about Notebooks vs Tags but it works for us :P ). In each notebook there is a Main Project/Lead note listing all the details of the projects/lead.

We also have a Master Note that lists all the projects, leads etc and it is like an index so we can see at a glance where we are up to.

At the moment in the Master Note, we have note links to the Main project/lead note, but it would be great if we could link to the Notebook not just to the Main Note, so that when we clicked on it it goes straight to the notebook.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

There is a really simple answer to this. Create a blank note in the notebook that you want to link to. Give it the same name as the notebook. Use the link to that note in your sidebar.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

There is a really simple answer to this. Create a blank note in the notebook that you want to link to. Give it the same name as the notebook. Use the link to that note in your sidebar.

I tried this, and it works, but it feels like a bug. Normally, when you drag a note to the Shortcuts list, it creates a link to that note. In this case it creates a shortcut to the notebook (or stack) with the same name, but using the note icon rather than the notebook icon. Not sure why this would be a special case of the note shortcut; in any case, dragging a notebook or stack to the Shortcuts list accomplishes the same thing, and seems more natural that the counter-intuitive empty note.

Even more to the point, none of these solutions does what the poster was asking for, which is make a link to a notebook that lives inside a note (the Master Note, in their case).

Edit: Even more: after syncing, the link stopped filtering on the note's notebook, even more evidence that something's not quite right with this usage.

Hi guys I'm very interested to this topic as a general feature.

Specifically I'd like to use the link to a notebook in android: I use evernote as a sort of crm for my customers n' i'd like to put a link to my specific customer's notebook in my calendars events (appointments or reminders) that are already linked to my android specific contact...this would be a dream 'cause i would be able to access everything i need through my calendar widget. I actually already have this setup but I'm forced to put everything about a customer in a single note that i then link (share) with my calendar...but I'm not so happy with a single note customers setup...the link to a notebook would be fantastic so i indeed share your feature request...unless some of U geniuses have some workaround for my setup that i didn't think about:)

cheers thanx

In the Windows version a Saved Search can be put in the left hand Shortcut pane, so you can activate it that much quicker.

I must have overseen this thread here and started a new one

Moved to Feature Requests zone. Should probably be merged with the topic in the above post, as it's essentially the same thing.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Moved to Feature Requests zone. Should probably be merged with the topic in the above post, as it's essentially the same thing.

thanks & I think it would be great to merge the two threads

2 hours ago, Infinite Identity said:

Bump on this feature request. 

There is no need to 'bump' feature requests. You should use the voting button, up at the top left of this topic.

One suggestion / workaround for the original idea is for the Windows client: if you are looking at a note, a Shift+Click on the notebook name in the notebook header will open up that notebook.