Ctrl+S for Syncing!

parnuder

I think syncing is the end-user equivalent to saving in the Windows client (haven't tried the others), and it also starts with an S...

I just found myself trying to sync that way.

Edit: Now using Evernote with OS X, and feel it applies to all Desktop clients, rather than Windows specifically.

• Level 5

Ctrl+S forces the current note to be saved. It's not required since the note will be saved anyway when the focus moves elsewhere or after every 30 seconds, however some people have Ctrl+S wired in their muscle memory to Save operation, so it would be a disaster to wire it up to anything else.

/Peter

F9 is the keyboard shortcut for syncing.

I know. It's not very intuitive or standardised.

Ctrl+S forces the current note to be saved. It's not required since the note will be saved anyway when the focus moves elsewhere or after every 30 seconds

Exactly. The end user doesn't even know about Evernotes "save" feature. The only reason I know about is because I messed with it in regedit. So why would we need a keyboard shortcut for it?

some people have Ctrl+S wired in their muscle memory to Save operation, so it would be a disaster to wire it up to anything else.

I agree with the first part. However I think syncing is the same as saving when you're working in cloud based applications. In Gmail for example you can save an email draft, which means it uploads it. The difference is "sync" 1: saves all unsynced documents, not just the current 2: syncs down from the EN service too, not just up.

I can't imagine a scenario where a user wants to save it's document to the hard drive, bot not to the EN service, or doesn't want to download changes from the service.

• Level 5*

So apparently there are two separate operations, Save and Sync, if I understand things correctly. Save just persists the note to your local database. Sync puts your note database in sync with the cloud. Save is a local operation; Sync potentially affects your upload limits (and that's just how Evernote works; I am reasonably sure that they've already considered what it would take to synchronize just the changes, and chose not to do that). So Save != Sync.

I think that Peter is saying that to have Ctrl+S do anything other than Save would be confusing at a minimum. So that's why there is a separate key for that.

Another possible consideration: In English (and I suspect in Latinate languages as well), the words for Sync and Save begin with the same letters; hence the logjam on Ctrl+S. But that's not guaranteed in other languages in general. So two operations, two shortcut keys.

Since the automatic saving can be turned off (By changing registry values) the manual Ctrl + S is needed to account for that. (Even though very few people may actually have turned it off.

Including the fact that every hit of the Ctrl + S key (which I do about every 30 seconds by habit) would also cause a sync? No thanks. :P

That said, you could set up something using AutoHotkey for example which would capture the Ctrl + S and send F9 instead.

• 10 months later...

Well, Pamuder, it's a year later but you can take comfort in the fact that I feel the same way you do about this topic, and started my own post about it,

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43964-feature-req-cmdctrls-sync/

Actually I've felt the same way for a few years. But I see we have no chance on this one.

It shows that people use Evernote different ways. If everybody was a Windows Premium user focussed on sharing their notes with clients via the cloud, and wanting to be sure that their last-second note edits were synced before those clients got to those just-shared notes, they might have a higher likelihood of feeling the way I do.

• Level 5*

Or you could just use the F9 shortcut key and be done with it...

...and if you really want Ctrl+S to do the sync operation, then the 3rd-party tool AutoHotKey can help you out.

• 8 months later...

I've since switched to OSX, and now use the native remapping option. This is how you do it:

System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts (tab) > App Shortcuts

Click "+", then enter this:

Application: Evernote.app

Menu Title: "Sync (username)" (change username to your user name, press "File" in the menu if you're not sure what it is)

Keyboard Shortcut: ⌘ + s (or whatever you want)

This disables the save shortcut, but I never saw the point in using it anyway. If you do, just add another one for "Save", or get used to ⌘ + alt + s for syncing.

If you're on Windows, you might want to try jefito's suggestion instead ^

Archived