Penultimate for Windows 8!

orion9282

Idea

With the introduction of the Microsoft Surface tablet, the upcoming Surface Pro, and the various other MS tablets (I own a Samsung ATIV Smart PC, myself)... Please, Evernote team, make Penultimate for Windows 8. Evernote is in desperate need of having a handwritten, notes taking application...

If ever you needed motivation: OneNote by Microsoft is really, really good. I'm actually thinking about switching just for the handwriting option, but I love Evernote so much!

40 replies to this idea

I have been a keen supporter of ink input into Evernote, including use of Genius paper based tablets, Eee Note, and some Toshiba Protégé. I also use Nevernote on Linux for text editing ... I could go on.

I now have a DELL Latitude 10 with a wacom stylus, and have switched to almost entirely to One Note because the inking experience in the windows 8 desktop of Evernote has been so bad. Some recent updates have made it better, but there are a couple of fundamental issues.

1) There doesn't appear to be a method to turn off the capacitive touch for inking. I only use a stylus, so I'm often getting extra marks from my palm from when the stylus comes cine and out of the "tracking field" of the screen. I also like to use my finger to scroll through my typically long ink notes

2) There is no eraser tool, just the cut.

Some other features of OneNote have caught up with Evernote. The skydrive    web app is quite usable and the android and ios apps also give me good access to my notes.

I would rather go back to a complete Evernote life, but the lack of decent inking on Windows is really what is holdings me back.

OneNote is slowly catching up to Evernote and due to the handwriting capability may serve some people a lot better than Evernote. The only thing stopping me from switching right now is simply loyalty because I've liked Evernote for so long, but they're really failing on this one. I can only let them slide so long for ignoring Windows users (and even Android users... apparently the higher ups are just in love with their Apple devices and are blind to the HUGE market they're completely ignoring)

Also, the way Evernote even responds to wishes of bringing Penultimate to other platforms is extremely lacking. It's not very useful or confidence inducing to just say "Thanks for posting". At least let us know if you're even considering on developing Penultimate on other platforms. Dragging people along isn't the best way to hold on to customers.

As flipfan points out the Windows version of Evernote already has 'Ink Notes' so there is no need for a Windows version of Penultimate.  It's actually had this for years, going back to very very early version of Evernote.  I used this for years on an old HP Touchsmart TM2 laptop and it worked great.

Just select the dropdown next to 'New Note' or chose the [CTRL]-[sHIFT]-I combo.

Trust me, you don't want a copy of Penultimate on Windows, it's rubbish!

I'll add a little input to this for all to think about....

In the "Ink Notes" you can do most of what we want but not having an errasor means we can only cut the last line put in, one line at a time....I like the option to errase portions of a line if I over draw the image....

Next, I find with my Android phone I can do a lot with Penultimate...works fine...Then on my Windows PC, touch screen or not, I can edit the image as well. Takes a little practice, but works just the same...

What I am working on learning now is how to take an "Ink Note" and put it into another note....Since on the Windows PC I cannot do images in an already written note. ( Which may be possible with Stitch which I uninstalled because my trial ended). But I can do it on my phablet (phone/tablet in one-Galaxy Note II). Of course after doing that, I can edit the drawings on my PC...

I am stubborn, where there is a will, I find a way...

While the desktop version of Evernote provided some handwriting capability, it is significant inferior to the new OneNote 2013 which is optimized for Tablet. For now I will switch to OneNote until Evernote comes up with something comparable.

I agree with much of what is stated above.  I am totally loving the new levels of productivity I am gaining with my Surface Pro 2.  I especially like the pen input capability (accuracy) that is available with OneNote.  I know that there is "ink Notes" available within the desktop app of Evernote.  However, I do not find them to be very useful in comparison to OneNote.  

Unfortunately, now I am using two different apps for tasks that should be completed within one.

I just purchased the Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 hybrid expecting to be able to take written notes fairly easily this fall in college (engineering, so too many equations for typing notes to be practical), but what I'm struggling most with is finding a precise stylus to write with.  Normal styluses just feel like crayons, and I haven't been able to find any precise enough to write neat (or even legible) notes.  I'd also love to join my voice to the chorus of "please give us Penultimate for Win 8", because the stylus that looks like my best bet (Jot Script) only works with Evernote/Penultimate.  What other ones do you guys use?

I just bought a Lenovo Helix (Windows 8 tablet).

I was expecting to be able to use its stylus to add to handwritten notes (from which the handwriting has been recognised) to EverNote.    In fact, it seemed such an obvious use of EverNote that it never even occurred to me to check that EverNote might not offer this functionality.

So I was shocked to find today that I can't add a handwritten/recognised note to EN.

(I mean, seriously... in the age of tablets and gestures, the best note taking and organising app doesn't enable input/recognition of handwritten notes...?!)

I was ready to upgrade to Premium.  But now that I find this feature is missing from EN, I will reluctantly need to go with Microsoft's OneNote, 

You aren't going to like OneNote as much as you will Evernote.  Handwriting app notwithstanding.  

Absolutely, I will not quickly leave Evernote for One Note -- but I do agree that at some point I just will go for a solution that enables me to write on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and to sync that note with Evernote - Maybe this will be possible using One Note and if so than what willl be the use of using Evernote still in Windows...? It would be a super missed opportunity because everybody used to work with Evernote just loves the platform. Please keep it that way by offering apps and solutions that integrate over different hardware and OS's - I mean in my case windows, ios, ipad and iphone 6 plus. If that was the case I would not hesitate a single moment to go for the app and/or solution and additional hardware (stylus) with the Evernote portfolio. Do not lose this advantage and please give the Evernote addapts what they like so much in the near future too!

I was expecting to be able to use its stylus to add to handwritten notes (from which the handwriting has been recognised) to EverNote.    In fact, it seemed such an obvious use of EverNote that it never even occurred to me to check that EverNote might not offer this functionality.

So I was shocked to find today that I can't add a handwritten/recognised note to EN.

(I mean, seriously... in the age of tablets and gestures, the best note taking and organising app doesn't enable input/recognition of handwritten notes...?!)

I was ready to upgrade to Premium.  But now that I find this feature is missing from EN, I will reluctantly need to go with Microsoft's OneNote, 

You aren't going to like OneNote as much as you will Evernote.  Handwriting app notwithstanding.  

I, too would like to use the Jot Script on my Yoga tablet.  If Penultimate is not available for Windows 8 Touch, could I still benefit from buying a Jot Script pen on my Yoga?  What could I do with Penultimate on an iPad that would be unavailable using the pen on my Yoga? or is there similar functionality available on the Yoga through other software?

I just loaded Evernote on my brand spanking new Surface Pro3 and when I went to load Penultimate I couldn't find a version for Windows 8... I understand supporting limited platforms, but from what I can see this has been a request made 2 years ago. I've been using my iPad version of Evernote and Penultimate, but now I have to do without 1/2 of the dynamic duo?!  Come on Evernote Team - this needs to be rectified...  Is there something in the works?

Cheers

I'll echo many of the comments above. just got a new surface pro 2, and the inking functionality in OneNote (including pressure sensitivity) is amazing. Evernote ink notes are useless. I have been an exclusive Evernote user almost from the beginning and I really hate to think about moving on. But I'm going to be dabbling in oneNote and if evernote doesn't catch up I could be gone.

Give up people. Evernote has ceded the writing capacity in a Windows environment to Onenote. They are only interested in creating this functionality for the iPad and Mac environment. That's why they bought Penultimate in 2012. I have used EN Premium since 2010, but I am tired of waiting for them to stop chasing Mac users. I'm also over the pain that Microsoft inflicts with missteps such as Windows 8 (oh never mind, get ready for Windows 10 everyone!)  After 30 years on Windows my next hardware upgrade is to a Mac. It won't be the end of all problems, but at least I won't have to wait on empty promises. 

I echo everything people state about frustration with EN on Windows. I use multiple devices and OSes. I often switch from Windows laptop, to OSX, to Note 4, to Note Tab 10.1. I dont mind different experience as long as my capabilities are the same. Not having native pen functionality on Windows Surface 3 bothers me a TON.

Where is the handwriting functionality for Windows?  I use Note 4 and love it.  I was shocked that it is not included on Windows of all things!  Evernote team, whether or not Microsoft users may be a smaller percentage of your user base, I am sure the user base is significant.  Please break out of the tunnel vision for supporting mainly Mac and Android users and keep your entire user base happy, please.  Many of us use multiple devices on multiple platforms.  It is important to us in order to stay productive in that fashion.  That is the whole basis of Everenote: productivity.  It's counterintuitive if not everything like handwriting is not supported and consistent across all devices and platforms.  I love your product, but it's disappointing to know that there is a feature on one of my devices but not on my other device.

Thank you for listening, if you are there, I hope.  This thread seems quite old, but still relevant, unfortunately.

Yup they really need to add handwriting support for Evernote on the Windows Surface tablets.  There really isn't anyone making a good tablet with stylus support that has palm rejection on android anymore. I can't even buy a tablet at verzion that comes with a stylus!  Like someone else said take off the blinders and look around.

Wow, 

I was comparing the two products, Onenote and Evernote. I have a Note 5, and a Surface Pro 3 so I was wanting something I can take notes and they cross platform.  I was leaning towards Onenote but you cant set reminders so I looked here. Yes you can set a reminder but I cant use my pen stylus. UGH, this is going to bite. I prefer being able to set reminders, so after all the agony has anyone heard from Evernote about adding this feature? I don't care if it does handwriting recognition, I just want to be able to slide out the pen, take a note, set a reminder, save and keep going. 

Bryan

I totally agree. I have been using a samsung series 7 with win 8 since the early days and love the handwriting support. I have been using onenote for my handwriting and evernote for everything else (including livescribe notes) and find it frustrating to have my notes split between apps. Would love a good way to get high-end handwriting (i.e. from a tablet with a real digitizer) into evernote.

Yes - I agree as well too on all the above comments! :D

I am currently using the ACER W7000 slade and the only software missing is the Penulimate. i tried changeing the virtual keuboard to a write pad which come by default but it's no good. i have been using the Penulimate on the ipad 3 and it work great. Hope that EVERNOTE will create this software for Windows 8. :)

I have a DELL Latitude 10, and the OneNote 2013 application is absolutely amazing. I had been using an EA800 (ASUS Eee Note), but it became useless when the OAuth API became the only way to upload notes (and ASUS stopped supporting it). I have installed the latest Desktop Evernote app, and the inking is quote poor. The rendering speed is slow, and the inability to distinguish between finger and pen leaves a lot of palm splotches.

I also tried to use the Import OneNote sectiom feature of EverNote, but it just caused both applications to crash.

I wanted to add another voice to the call for penultimate for Win8.  If I had that, I would likely drop Onenote and go with Evernote solely.  Right now, I am in a situation similar to digitalnelson where I split time between the two. 

Heck, I would likely go premium because of all the handwriting I do (Lenovo TT2 and x220 - I'm a Windows tablet user since the XP tablet edition. 

Just adding my voice to this. I'm a teacher and the ability to write notes on my tablet and save directly to Evernote would save me a lot of time. At present I use windows journal. I save the notes as pdf and then create a new note within evernote and then share the note. This has to be done 7-8 times per day which can be really a pain. I really don't like OneNote as I find the file sizes fairly big. Please try to add this in the near future on PC

How about Windows 7?   Is this not constructed in Java?   I use a pen with my Windows computer all the time and since none of my desktops are touchscreen, I see no reason to sidegrade to 8 yet.  I would very much appreciate being able to use Penultimate with my Mac Air and Windows pc's.

it may not be common knowledge, that while there is not a penultimate for Windows8, the Evernote version I have has the concept of an "ink note" directly inside evernote (drop down the menu for "new note" or Ctrl+Shift+I).  I use this in tablet form (I have a Sony Vaio Duo 11) and it works well enough.  Not as robust as Penultimate, but certainly better than no inking or Windows Journal or using two systems (OneNote, etc).

I keep putting my vote in on the Android side, since there are zero capabilities there, and this at least has a basic capability.

Archived