(Archived) Evernote 5 Public Beta 2

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all!

We hope the update addresses some of the issues you were noticing. Enjoy!

Release Notes

• Removed duplicate Evernote Helpers (elephants in the menu bar)
  • Changed search behavior to "remember" to search within the current notebook
  • Reduced Evernote application file size
  • Fixed Applescript bugs
  • Fixed slow note editor scrolling
  • Fixed crashes related to account switching and window closing
  • Fixed tag suggestions in note list
  • Fixed problem of multiple Evernote windows opening

36 replies to this idea

After some searching I found this thread (see my third point). I had posted this in a different thread, so apologies for the double-posting.

Evernote OS X, version 5.0.0 public beta 2 (400504).

Firstly, items (notes) can be deleted just by having them selected and tapping the delete key. There's no "undo", so if you brush the delete key by accident while you have an important note selected, you've lost it, since there appears to be no trash from which to retrieve it. All this means it's incredibly easy to delete important notes. If there is a way to see the trash that I've missed, then I'd love to know what it is. But even if there is, there should be an "undo" on deletion, and preferably a requirement for command-delete to delete notes in the first place.

Secondly, although you can sort notes by title in either alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order, maddeningly, the application doesn't remember which of the two you choose.

Thirdly, the "Go to Mac forum" button in the preferences returns an error page.

For some reason Evernote 5 beta 2 syncs endlessly. The progress bar at the bottom left seems stuck, and restarting the app doesn't seem to fix it.

Actually, it looks like it just finished (finally). And only 3 notes were updated...

Unfortunately, the ends of lines are still be cutting off unless the note is opened in a separate window. Fingers crossed this is fixed in Beta 3. I can't read anything in the note pane.

ETA: This is what it looks like. This is the bottom of the note pane so you can see the lack of horizontal scroll. Making the pane wider does nothing. Reducing font size, nothing.

post-60889-0-92435900-1352472673_thumb.p

Seeing the same behavior with PDFs. They don't resize down properly to fit within the note pane. Images are fine.

And apparently I'm the only person experiencing this bug.

I just downloaded the beta today, and I did see this as well. So far with my experimentation, it happens in this scenario:

1. Set Evernote to full screen.

2. Quit evernote.

3. Restart Evernote. It automatically opens up in full screen and the right side of the note pane is cut off. At that point there seems to be no fix -- changing full screen or resizing the panes does nothing.

I was able to "fix" it on mine by leaving full screen mode and exiting Evernote (so exiting out while in a "normal" window). Then I restarted and it came up in non-full screen with the correct note pane.

So try that and see if it helps! Hopefully this info will help them fix this bug.

EDIT: OK, so I ran into this again and the trick I described above didn't work. Tried a bunch of things, quitting, restarting, etc. Finally tried this: Made the note column (in card view) more narrow so it only was only 2 notes wide. Then exited and came back in and my note panes are back to normal.

So I'm thinking on launch, evernote is sizing the note pane to some fixed size rather than basing it on the width of the panes. And then from that point on, it resizes in proportion to that size. So if the initial size is wrong, you're stuck.

I just repeated this again, but this time I switched to list view and exited. That also solved the problem.

Just discovered a searching issue - not sure if it has already been reported.

1. Started from a specific notebook.

2. Clicked in the search field to get the dropdown.

3. Selected to search just the selected notebook

4. Typed -tag:log. My goal here was to find all notes in the notebook that are not tagged "log"

5. One note was found, which was expected.

6. Tagged that one note with "log".

7. clicked away from the note. I expected the search to refresh and show me NO notes, since none would match anymore. However, instead, Evernote showed me ALL notes in the notebook!

I cleared out the search and then recreated it and got the same result. Basically, if none of the notes match the second part of the criteria, it is ignored. I don't know if this is specifically a tag search issue, or a general searching issue.

I just downloaded the beta today, and I did see this as well. So far with my experimentation, it happens in this scenario:

1. Set Evernote to full screen.

2. Quit evernote.

3. Restart Evernote. It automatically opens up in full screen and the right side of the note pane is cut off. At that point there seems to be no fix -- changing full screen or resizing the panes does nothing.

I was able to "fix" it on mine by leaving full screen mode and exiting Evernote (so exiting out while in a "normal" window). Then I restarted and it came up in non-full screen with the correct note pane.

So try that and see if it helps! Hopefully this info will help them fix this bug.

EDIT: OK, so I ran into this again and the trick I described above didn't work. Tried a bunch of things, quitting, restarting, etc. Finally tried this: Made the note column (in card view) more narrow so it only was only 2 notes wide. Then exited and came back in and my note panes are back to normal.

So I'm thinking on launch, evernote is sizing the note pane to some fixed size rather than basing it on the width of the panes. And then from that point on, it resizes in proportion to that size. So if the initial size is wrong, you're stuck.

I just repeated this again, but this time I switched to list view and exited. That also solved the problem.

Oh, you're a genius for finding this! Thank you!

One thing that irritates me no end in the new OSX Evernote version (5.0.0 Public Beta 2):

When I use the 'Search notes' box at top right, the middle column will become populated with notes matching the search field. All well and good. I then click on the note I want, and it appears as expected in the main window (the pane on the right). So far, everything's as expected. But now, if I clear or change the field in the search box, this removes the filter from the central notebooks column (which is perfectly okay), but also dismisses the opened note (this is not okay). Is this a bug or a feature? I hope it's not the latter. Why would anyone prefer such behaviour? If I do any kind of search and then open a document from the results list, I don't want to have the document closed for me just because I start a new search or clear the old one. This is the case even if I'm viewing the doc in what is officially a preview pane.

The preview pane should populate only if I click on a new document in the search list (or any list). It should not act as a rug that's pulled from under my feet just because the linked search entry disappears.

Things are okay if I double-click on a doc from the search list to open it as a floating window, but I don't want to do that.

Not sure if this has been reported, but the search drop down menu seems to pop up very frequently, for no apparent reason. For example:

1. Shift+Command+I to open the note info panel and edit the created date for the note.

2. Same keypress to close the note info panel. It closes, and then the search menu drops down as if I clicked in the search field.

• Level 5*

Not sure if this has been reported, but the search drop down menu seems to pop up very frequently, for no apparent reason. For example:

1. Shift+Command+I to open the note info panel and edit the created date for the note.

2. Same keypress to close the note info panel. It closes, and then the search menu drops down as if I clicked in the search field.

I was getting the search field in some cases as well (reported earlier). Perhaps the conditions are related.

Hi

I have some trouble since installing the beta.

When ever I try to open a Evernote from Spotlight I get this message:

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

It appears like it only affects notes created before the beta.

Anyone else havde the same problem?

Hi

I have some trouble since installing the beta.

When ever I try to open a Evernote from Spotlight I get this message:

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

It appears like it only affects notes created before the beta.

Anyone else havde the same problem?

I had the same problem. You will have to completely remove Evernote form your computer. Use the app AppCleaner and even then, you have to go to your Library folder and do a spotlight search within that folder for "Evernote" and delete all the folders and files manually. Reinstall Evernote after that.

• Level 5*

(1) Search when Not Searching

- Old problem, but new information. If you do a search > clear > All Notes dropdown > tap on area next to All Notes, the search dropdown appears. This ought to be reproducable.

- Why in the world would I be doing this? Funny you ask. As you might no, I loathe pop overs, pop ups, and dropdowns. Here is why: In this case, the dropdown from All Notes obscures my notes, so I have to get rid of the thing, so I tap somewhere else in the app.

(2) Processing

- I had to have all of my notes re-indexed / migrated when I updated. Now, it is indexing the notes and the type ahead search. It has been an hour or more and this processing is still going on. It's fine with me, but it does seem excessive, especially since I thought I just did this a few days ago with the last beta.

Please add the following:

- Delete a note open in a separate window keyboard shortcut or an icon. It is annoying that I have to go to the actual notebook to delete a note.

- Keyboard shortcut to show or hide Evernote. Right no I have to use CMD+H to hide and another shortcut to search in Evernote. This can be combined into one shortcut.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the ends of lines are still be cutting off unless the note is opened in a separate window. Fingers crossed this is fixed in Beta 3. I can't read anything in the note pane.

And, like GM, all my notes are being processed again as well. It even kicked up the fans on my mini. I never hear the fans on this thing.

ETA: This is what it looks like. This is the bottom of the note pane so you can see the lack of horizontal scroll. Making the pane wider does nothing. Reducing font size, nothing.

• Level 5*

Bug

When in Notebooks view, creating a notebook by right clicking and selecting "New Notebook" from the context menu does not present the option to choose a local or sync'd notebook. Instead a sync'd notebook is immediately created.

Creating a new notebook using the button in the top left corner correctly presents the options.

I think this is what I was seeing in my post yesterday or the day before.

Looks like a bug....

- Add an image to a note

- Open image in Preview and resize, save, close

Previously, the image was updated with the new size in Evernote, doesn't look like it is now. Not sure if it has been updated and is being displayed incorrectly or has just not been updated.

Oh look. Readability has just tweeted that they're incorporating tagging:

http://blog.readabil...012/11/tagging/

And guess what - there's a user-configurable sidebar on their webpage with tags listed and article counts next to the tags.

And, as you will see, article counts do not detract from the elegance of the interface in the least.

Again I ask: Why can't we have the option of note counts back next to tags in the EN Sidebar???

Seeing the same behavior with PDFs. They don't resize down properly to fit within the note pane. Images are fine.

And apparently I'm the only person experiencing this bug.

Evernote 5 Mac:

1. There is no way to quickly delete a note. I would like to be able to delete a note that is open in a separate window using a keyboard shortcut or an icon. It is annoying to go to the actual notebook to delete a note. The current way of deleting notes really slows down my workflow.

Scenario: I found a note via Spotlight. Read the note and decided that I want to delete it. However, I can't do this because I have to open the entire Evernote app and search through my notes to find the note in the notebook and then delete it. Very irritating. Hope this will be fixed soon.

2. Evernote 5 still has very basic keyboard shortcuts. I would like to have a keyboard shortcut to show or hide Evernote just like notational velocity. Right now I have to use CMD+H to hide and another shortcut to search in Evernote. This can be combined into one shortcut.

The idea behind notational velocity is to improve one's workflow using speed and simplicity. I think that Evernote can greatly improve in this area. I would love to have CMD+, (or other combination) to be able to show Evernote (pointing to search) and use the same or different shortcut to hide Evernote.

• Level 5*

1. They could fix this by letting us customise the toolbar and then you could delete from there.

2. I'm not sure how you can have the same shortcut to do two completely different things? What would be the point of hiding and searching at the same time? You won't be able to see the search box? Currently you can use cmd+h to hide and the Search in Evernote shortcut (i've changed mine and can't remember the default) to unhide and put focus in the search box.

A highly pertinent article on Apple's moves toward GUI simplification has just been posted by Erica Sadun of TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/...or-out-of-time/

In it she writes:

'One of the things that typifies Mountain Lion is Apple's insistence on removing existing features that users know and love. I suspect some just weren't finished in time, but others seem to simplify interfaces at the cost of user frustration.

'... Operating systems are supposed to keep improving -- offering fixes and better features. With Apple, OS upgrades often have users wondering where their favorite tools are and why things they used to be able to easily accomplish are no longer possible.

'I will spare you the exact phrasing Beloved TUAW Leader Victor Agreda Jr shared to express his displeasure with the the current Airport utility, and turn to TUAW Editor Mike Rose.

'Rose points out that simplifying the user interface only goes so far. Apple understands that 80% of user interactivity applies to just 20% of OS features. This encourages Apple to trim down feature sets for better maintainability. "You can only apply the 80/20 rule so many times, however," Rose explained, "Before you're left with an on-off switch and a picture of an Apple."

'As rumors of OS X 10.9 ramp up under unified OS team led by Craig Federighi, we wonder: what message would you send Apple? What features do they need to bring back, what features would you battle to the death to save, and what features would you be willing to cut?'

Clearly Evernote fans are beginning to see the same tug-of-war brewing, but I hope we are not also reduced to calling for a 'battle to the death'.

• Level 5*

A highly pertinent article on Apple's moves toward GUI simplification has just been posted by Erica Sadun of TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/...or-out-of-time/

In it she writes:

'One of the things that typifies Mountain Lion is Apple's insistence on removing existing features that users know and love. I suspect some just weren't finished in time, but others seem to simplify interfaces at the cost of user frustration.

'... Operating systems are supposed to keep improving -- offering fixes and better features. With Apple, OS upgrades often have users wondering where their favorite tools are and why things they used to be able to easily accomplish are no longer possible.

'I will spare you the exact phrasing Beloved TUAW Leader Victor Agreda Jr shared to express his displeasure with the the current Airport utility, and turn to TUAW Editor Mike Rose.

'Rose points out that simplifying the user interface only goes so far. Apple understands that 80% of user interactivity applies to just 20% of OS features. This encourages Apple to trim down feature sets for better maintainability. "You can only apply the 80/20 rule so many times, however," Rose explained, "Before you're left with an on-off switch and a picture of an Apple."

'As rumors of OS X 10.9 ramp up under unified OS team led by Craig Federighi, we wonder: what message would you send Apple? What features do they need to bring back, what features would you battle to the death to save, and what features would you be willing to cut?'

Clearly Evernote fans are beginning to see the same tug-of-war brewing, but I hope we are not also reduced to calling for a 'battle to the death'.

Please don't double post. Posting this in one thread is sufficient.

As for the content, I wholeheartedly agree about Apple's Mountain Lion. While I greatly enjoy the OS overall, I do feel the frustration of having things oversimplified to the point of absurdity. I both love and loathe Apple products, and I don't think there has to be a trade off in functionality, I guess Apple has decided otherwise.

I don't know if the Evernote team is being affected by this kind of Apple-think. My guess is that they would agree in principle with adding new features that will improve the experience and removing old ones that don't. For example, I think removing the Favorite's bar was a "loss," but not one I feel too keenly, because they added something better (Shortcuts), and the UI changed in a way that wouldn't allow it to exist anymore.

In terms of the big picture, I am still wanting more information density, and I do think that ideally we could have the ability to have a bit more customization here: Snippet View with adjustable snippets (0-6 lines -- a choice of graphics), data showing about each note (why hide the note count behind an icon?), etc. Even Apple gives me numbers in Finder: how many items in the window, how much space on my drive, the size of each item, the file type, etc., etc. all at a glance.

I think we have a while before we get to the point where we have feature bloat, and a need like Apple to cull the herd, so I'd like to see some more customizability along these lines.

Archived