Sort by Date Created Missing?

Previous releases of Evernote on the iPhone allowed sorting by date created. I don't see this option on Evernote 5 - just sort by date (which defaults to date updated) or sort by title. Am I missing something? Can I get my list of notes to sort by date created?

Many Thanks.

• Level 5*

Personally, I don't use created date too much, but I think in general I want to see as many sort options as possible. Ideally, I can carry my same workflow from Windows, to Mac, to Android, to the iPad. Of course, there will be differences in each client about certain things, but I consider Sort to be one of those central organizational tools.

In my case, the lack of a reverse sort order (never has been in iOS) is very rough on me. I do tend to use the date updated (our "date") and title sorts the most, but I also use sorts by tag, size, etc. on a regular basis as well (on clients where they exist).

Missing features like this (note link creation, note link copying, font control, etc.) all combine to make the app OK in a pinch, but unreliable for extended periods (a business trip). With just a little bit more functionality (nothing new, just parity with other clients) I could finally be free of the computer.

I agree with the complaints here. The new app looks great but losing functionality for the sake of aesthetics is not acceptable. Not being able to change the sort options for date is really terrible. And while the map is really cool, it is useless if I can't filter map view to only show specifically selected notebooks. The implementation of the new app neglected some very basic functions, and I am very disappointed. I hope Evernote will quickly release updates that improve these sorting and filtering issues.

It seemed initially my notebooks were sorted by Created Date until I foolishly fiddled with the Title / Date sort and then it went. I am disappointed. I never used Updated Date, only Creation Date as I use it as a document store for my business for receipts and invoices. I don't really care when it was updated, I just want to see docs by the unchanging Created Date for a document.

As Tucker.Lentz has said it looks great but it means little at the expense of basic and IMHO fundamental functionality...

I really hope they update this ASAP to re-add the sort functionality.

BTW a whole tab for places seems a little excessive. Would maybe mean more if the note used the location of any photo imported but it doesn't so its a wasted view in terms of base functionality.

Not sorting on date created is definitely a problem for me. I always sort on date, and very rarely want the updated date. It is also highly annoying if you recently made big edits to old notes (such as fixing up tags), and so these old, pretty irrelevant notes are at the top of the list.

Please let me sort by created date again!

I also immediately noticed this was missing. Clearly it's still in the code, because like Blue Rover reported also when I started the app the first time my notes were sorted by creation date, but after tapping the sort options to "title" and back to "date" it is now sorted by date updated. I hardly ever used that mode in previous versions, 99% of the time I want sort by creation date.

So it's still there in the code, please provide interface for it again!

Thanks.

only Creation Date as I use it as a document store for my business for receipts and invoices.

As a workaround: You could add a tag to each note with the creation month and year. Might even be more useful since you will usually not looking for the date when you created to note but for the time when invoice has been written/created and both dates might differ.

Previous releases of Evernote on the iPhone allowed sorting by date created. I don't see this option on Evernote 5 - just sort by date (which defaults to date updated) or sort by title. Am I missing something? Can I get my list of notes to sort by date created?

Many Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be re-adding the ability to sort by created date in our next update.

• Level 5*

LOL... @jhull

Can I suggest the iOS team look at the Android version! Notes can be sorted by: Date Updated, Date created, Title, Notebook, City & Country.

The iOS and Android apps in the previous version had the same sort options, but I was hoping we would have an expansion of features myself. In particular, I'd like to see a reverse sort order, but other sort options would be nice. What does everyone else sort by on a regular basis?

Date created missing is a disatster.. I use this all the time and now my notes are a mess..

Please please please fix this and quick!!!

Also, getting into saved searches is a real problem now. It's too hidden.. Can you make saved searches a tab please, like tags and all notes etc..??

Also I don't like these thumbnails. Is it possible to switch back to a list type view that just shows the note title?

I was really excited by this update but am very disappointed as its just not flexible any more..

Regards

Mark

Many Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be re-adding the ability to sort by created date in our next update.

Thats good to hear!

I'm definitely on board with having the 'sort by date created' feature returned ASAP.

As well, can you consider adding a calendar function to the software for all platforms, so that I could click on a particular day in a mini-calendar (similar to iCal) and see all of the notes that we posted on that particular day only. I think this would be useful to many who also use Evernote as a sort of 'life journal', among other things. I know that I could add a tag with the date for each post that I make and then search them out that way, but I think it would be much nicer to be able to just click on a day in a mini-calendar widget that resides on your screen.

Coonsie, in the meantime you could just search all notes for created dates, for example "created:20121101" would show you all notes created on 1 November 2012. Or "created:day" would show all notes created today.

Thanks for the response and the suggestion May. I am trying that but unfortunately, when I enter a date as you have shown, I get all notes from that particular day as well as all notes posted after that day - not just the notes from that date. Is there a different syntax to use in the search perhaps?

Still hoping for the mini-cal widget integration at some point.

Thanks for the response and the suggestion May. I am trying that but unfortunately, when I enter a date as you have shown, I get all notes from that particular day as well as all notes posted after that day - not just the notes from that date. Is there a different syntax to use in the search perhaps?

Still hoping for the mini-cal widget integration at some point.

To see notes only from a certain day use searches like, for example, "created:20121101" and also add "-created:20121102" to exclude all notes posted after that day

I'm definitely on board with having the 'sort by date created' feature returned ASAP.

As well, can you consider adding a calendar function to the software for all platforms, so that I could click on a particular day in a mini-calendar (similar to iCal) and see all of the notes that we posted on that particular day only. I think this would be useful to many who also use Evernote as a sort of 'life journal', among other things. I know that I could add a tag with the date for each post that I make and then search them out that way, but I think it would be much nicer to be able to just click on a day in a mini-calendar widget that resides on your screen.

I would love a calendar control like that for quickly filtering my notes to a particular day. Even better if you could click a range of days, or a week, month, etc. It would essentially be an easy shortcut for doing a date based search.

BTW, it might not be obvious, but you can construct relative date searches that don't require a specific date. For instance, doing:

created:day-1

finds notes created before today minus 1 day (so, basically, yesterday).

For my journal, I've used this to set up searches that find all the notes created on this day different numbers of years ago:

• Notes created one year ago today: created:day-366 -created:day-365
  • Notes created 2 years ago today: created:day-731 -created:day-730

and so on. I go back 5 years like this. I've also done similar ones for weeks and months:

• Notes created a year ago this month: -created:month-11 created:month-12
  • Notes created a year ago this week: created:week-52 -created:week-51

These searches do still work in EN 5.0, but I can't figure out how to construct them using the "Add a Search Option" thingy. Just typing them in works.

I would still love a calendar-type date navigator, but I've found these relative date searches to be pretty handy.

I really like a lot of what the new Evernote has to offer but really, really need this sort option. Glad to hear it'll be returning.

Now if only the Mac AppStore didn't have a 5-year* backlog of updates ...

* slight exaggeration

• 1 year later...

It's been 2 weeks of using Evernote for school, and although I love 90% of it, it really frustrates me that they don't have 'sort by date created' as a default (or, apparently, even as an option...?).

C'mon, Evernote! You've come this far in being amazing. This should be an easy fix, no?

• 1 month later...

I use the app called vJournal to create a journal in Evernote, but now it is sorting by date visited instead of date created. Ridiculous, no? Looks like this has been a problem since 2012. Is there any hope of a solution?

I love Evernote and use it for Everything, but WT...? It wasn't doing that before, what happened?

It's been 2 weeks of using Evernote for school, and although I love 90% of it, it really frustrates me that they don't have 'sort by date created' as a default (or, apparently, even as an option...?).

C'mon, Evernote! You've come this far in being amazing. This should be an easy fix, no?

I use the app called vJournal to create a journal in Evernote, but now it is sorting by date visited instead of date created. Ridiculous, no? Looks like this has been a problem since 2012. Is there any hope of a solution?

I love Evernote and use it for Everything, but WT...? It wasn't doing that before, what happened?

Of course the iOS EN app displays by date created.  Simply change the results display to "date created" in the options (top right of screen).

Thank you. I had tried that Option menu before, and it worked, but when I tried it earlier today, I got a different menu, so I thought that change-sort was not available.

Now I see that I looked at the option menu on an OPEN NOTE instead of the option menu for the NOTEBOOK.

My bad. It's actually very good that you can change the sort for the notebook so easily.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Thank you. I had tried that Option menu before, and it worked, but when I tried it earlier today, I got a different menu, so I thought that change-sort was not available.

Now I see that I looked at the option menu on an OPEN NOTE instead of the option menu for the NOTEBOOK.

My bad. It's actually very good that you can change the sort for the notebook so easily.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

You're welcome.

Archived