✔ Evernote 5 - lost the ability to drag and drop to notebooks and tags ?

Hi,

maybe I am overlooking something, but it looks like I cannot drag/drop note(s) on notebooks and/or tags to assign them to the note.

Before v5 there was a list of notesbooks and a list of tags on the left.

One could drop notes on it to get it assigned.

Is there an alternative in V5?

Luc

• Level 5*

The Sidebar Options (view menu) allows you to show the notebook list in the sidebar. Depending on the number of notebooks you have, it might take up a bit of space, but you can drag things there.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

The Sidebar Options (view menu) allows you to show the notebook list in the sidebar. Depending on the number of notebooks you have, it might take up a bit of space, but you can drag things there.

To notebooks yes. It won't let me drag to tags though - could be just me.

I am completely SHOCKED that they removed dragging to tags! How are you suppose to mass tag notes? I import notes in bulk and now I have no way of tagging them without doing it individually on each note... this would take me MONTHS... who's bright idea was it to think people would not want to mass tag notes? Unbelievable! Good thing I backed up my database because I am moving back to the previous version. If this feature is not brought back I will just have to use the old version until it stops working and then move on to something else. Good move Einstein!

unlock_cww_kickoff.png

trans.png

Thanks Jackolicious.

I know I'm piling on, but...

Dragging to tags is pretty basic, please bring it back.

ALSO, we need the customizable toolbar with back/forward buttons etc.

ALSO, on the iPad, please give us back the snippet view and sort by creation date.

Yes - this is a big deal!!!

One of the greatest features of Evernote is the ability to batch sort notes into tags and Notebooks by dragging and dropping. It is SO intuitive! Losing this functionality is PAINFUL, because it requires a lot of manual clicking and typing to bring up the tag, etc.

PLEASE bring it back!

Also, you should be able to double-click the Notebooks or Tags icon in the lefthand panel to expand or collapse the list. Going up to the Sidebar options menu to do that is lame.

I do see that you can do it with CRTL-click and selecting "Show" or "Hide" list...but that involves extra keystrokes.

Evernote 5 has a lot of beauty...but please don't sacrifice functionality for beauty.

Reorganizing where things are is good if it improves usability. But please don't keep moving things around or losing features. That's what has killed MS Office where someone thought they were smart by moving everything around to where it can't be found.

People get used to good software...don't change it for the sake of change!

Thanks!

I can drag to tags but I cant drag to notebooks. How can such a basic functionality be missed out!

I agree with TBeck, it looks great but thats about it!!! all the functionality people need is gone for the sake of some fancy maps very few people (in the grand scheme of things) will use!

Really regretting upgrading now. I'm having to google how to do basic things like moving notes between notebooks! this is a great example of bad UX! or at the very least very poor user testing.

*le sigh* onto to web view for me

Just installed Evernote 5. Haven't spent too much time with it, but overall I like the visual change. I'll have to get used to some things, but that's expected. I'd have to agree with everyone here regarding dragging notes to tags and notebooks. That is a HUGE part of my workflow and is quite efficient. I'd really like to see that come back.

Hey gang. I'm running the 5.0.0 public beta 2 version and although I can't drag notes to tags I CAN drag tags to notes. I know this is not optimal, especially for multiple notes at once, but for that you can use the multi-tags Jackolicious mentions for that. You can also multi-select notes and then drag a tag to one of them to apply it to all selected notes.

To see the list of tags so you can drag, make sure you View/Show Sidebar and in View/Sidebar Options choose to Show Tag List. There is also an option to Show Notebooks if you like that. It gets a bit large with Notebooks and/or Tags showing but for big sorting/classifying operations it's worth it to turn on for awhile.

For my version you drag notes to notebooks or drag tags to notes.

Hope it helps!

If you drag a note to the sidebar onto a Notebook it does not work but instead creates a shortcut located at the top of the sidebar.

Ironically, once this shortcut is created you can then drag that same note to any notebook of your choosing and the note is reassigned.

Definitely looks like a bug to me...

Also, what's the deal with taking away 'note count' per notebook in the sidebar? That's a real bummer if that's gone.

-Tim

Just wanted to add another voice. The removal of the option to drag and drop notes into notebooks is a **huge** loss. Evernote becomes drastically less useful (or at least usable) without it. I'm always perplexed by software upgrades that take away features. For whatever reason, it happens pretty often. :(

• 1 month later...

A very common workflow for me was to open a large PDF in Preview (on the Mac) and then to select a set of page thumbnails within Preview and drag-and-drop them into Evernote. Evernote no longer seems to support this feature. Is that by design? Am I missing something? Is there a work-around?

Actually, I discovered a workaround. You can drag-and-drop the selected page thumbnails to the Desktop. This creates a new PDF document. You can then drag-and-drop that document into a notebook within Evernote. It works, but it adds several additional steps including the need to then delete the temporary document. Is there an easier way?

• 11 months later...

Hi all, sorry to get back to this issue but I'm still unable to drag & drop Tags in Version 5.4.4 on Mac. On the Windows Client no problem at all. I use Evernote for organize my workflow with GTD. For this reason, Tags are elementary for my sorting.

Any statement from the Mac Development Team to this issue? Currently there is just the indexing as major open issue listed.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Markus

Hi all, sorry to get back to this issue but I'm still unable to drag & drop Tags in Version 5.4.4 on Mac. On the Windows Client no problem at all. I use Evernote for organize my workflow with GTD. For this reason, Tags are elementary for my sorting.

Any statement from the Mac Development Team to this issue? Currently there is just the indexing as major open issue listed.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Markus

Found the solution in this topic. It works just in a other way then on the Windows Client:

2. Click on the Tabs icon in the sidebar (the one with the "T"), choose a tag, drag it into another one. 

Thanks to GrumpyMonkey.

• Level 5*

Many thanks.

Cheers

Markus

Found the solution in this topic. It works just in a other way then on the Windows Client:

2. Click on the Tabs icon in the sidebar (the one with the "T"), choose a tag, drag it into another one.

Thanks to GrumpyMonkey.

Glad I could help! Thanks for posting links to the solution here. Doing this ought to help other users in the future to find what they are looking for.

• 2 years later...

I would simply like to have the functionality of the Windows version of Evernote in the Mac version.  I used to be able to organize active projects into notebooks and drag and drop those notebooks in the sidebar in Windows.  PLEASE just allow us to move notebooks around in the sidebar in the Mac version. 

Archived