Does Evernote 5 for iOS finally support TextExpander?

• Level 5*

I am also interested in this. Text expander is amazingly important part of the iOS app ecosystem, a must have for any application that deals with a lot of text.

Hi. Calling it a "must have" feature doesn't make it so. Lots of people have their "must have" features that range from two-factor authentication to backwards compatibility back to iOS 3.

I am not saying that I am against having the feature. I am actually agnostic about it, because it isn't something I would be likely to use even if we had it. I wonder if you could describe your use case and give a little more detail about why you think this way. It might help developers understand better why there is demand for the feature.

I am also interested in this. Text expander is amazingly important part of the iOS app ecosystem, a must have for any application that deals with a lot of text.

Hi. Calling it a "must have" feature doesn't make it so. Lots of people have their "must have" features that range from two-factor authentication to backwards compatibility back to iOS 3.

I am not saying that I am against having the feature. I am actually agnostic about it, because it isn't something I would be likely to use even if we had it. I wonder if you could describe your use case and give a little more detail about why you think this way. It might help developers understand better why there is demand for the feature.

GM-

I'll assume you know what TextExpander is. If not, check out http://smilesoftware.com/apps/

As far as case use, I will not enter a text note into EN in iOS. Why? I got tired of the poor formatting interface and having to retype text or note layout every time. For example, say I attend a weekly meeting which follows the same format. I use Notesy to enter a TextExpander snippet which acts as the shell, or layout, for my notes for that session. The other thing TextExpander gives is the ability to name titles more consistently.

I use TextExpander all the time with Evernote in Mac OS. iOS is where it falls down. Include this and get faster search results and you will become something, well, actually use for taking quick notes on the go.

• Level 5*

GM-

I'll assume you know what TextExpander is. If not, check out http://smilesoftware.com/apps/

As far as case use, I will not enter a text note into EN in iOS. Why? I got tired of the poor formatting interface and having to retype text or note layout every time. For example, say I attend a weekly meeting which follows the same format. I use Notesy to enter a TextExpander snippet which acts as the shell, or layout, for my notes for that session. The other thing TextExpander gives is the ability to name titles more consistently.

I use TextExpander all the time with Evernote in Mac OS. iOS is where it falls down. Include this and get faster search results and you will become something, well, actually use for taking quick notes on the go.

I've used TE, and while I think it is quite nice, I'm not terribly keen on it for my particular use case. Thanks for sharing your use case! Hopefully, that will give the developers some more information about what their users want to do with the product.

I haven't used Notesy but I'm a HUGE fan of Drafts for creating text. It supports TE and easily moves entries to Evernote. The iPad and iPhone versions sync with each other.

Just downloaded it, TextExpander is not in Evernote 5 for iOS. Seems like a great upgrade otherwise. Pretty disappointed. I still don't think TextExpander is a niche or geek only use. Just look at how many other note taking apps and text editors support. It boggles my mind that a "note" taking app as big as Evernote should need another app in order to input something as simple as text!

BTW, my current workaround is Drafts which I really like. My only issue is that I imbed a lot of photos in my notes, so unless I merge pictures in later, I cannot use TextExpander and make round trips in and out of Evernote iOS.

Text expander makes entry of words with accented characters, like ångström, résumé, or doppelgänger very easy. In some contexts, textual treatments of these words without the accents is a faux pax.

Another use is in the custom shortcuts it allows. For instance, I can have the sequence "wwbr" expand to:

With best regards,

Creed Erickson <FlabbertyGoop@gmail.com>

+1.800.555.1212

While that is specifically an email example, it does not take much imagination to see this as a handy tool when taking notes on an iOS device. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 3 months later...

I would really love to see Text Expander support in Evernote for iOS.  Creating text in another ap is less than desirable, simply because I forget to send it to Evernote.  Also, when I create notes in the Evernote client I get the geolocation and precise time of the note.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

While Drafts is awesome for inputing information with Text Expander, it definitively doesn't help me when I need to edit some text that is already in Evernote.

Sorry, but Text Expander really is a must have for a tool like Evernote.

Honestly, I'd probably cut and past the text into Drafts, edit and paste back. Even aside from TE support, Drafts is a far superior text editor. That's not really surprising as that's what it's designed to do. Text editing is really more of an add-on in Evernote.

I'd still like to see TE support in Evernote. One of the few times I chafe at the sandbox restrictions in iOS. I'm used to having system wide access to TE on my Mac.

Best of luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, s3r3ndipity said:

Any chance TextExpander will be supported with Evernote iOS version this year?

I've not seen any indication Evernote/TextExpander integration is being considered

A backdoor approach is via the custom keyboard feature.  I read that PhraseExpress is also using this

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived