Student_Manchester

ios Evernote iOS - Missing Features!

Idea

I use Evernote every day and I love it. I have however noticed that there seems to be a bug, where the note list on the left keeps flashing whilst the note is open on the iPad! No response from tech support regarding this. My colleagues have the same problem on their iPad.

More importantly, I think it is time that Evernote added these features to the iPad version:

1. Ability to link a file to a note eg Word, PPt etc
  2. Ability to insert or paste an image into the current note
  3. Ability to change the font, colour and size (this is a really basic thing that is missing!!)
  4. Ability to create notebooks on the iOS version and to colour code notebooks

Please please please implement these additions - they are basic things that should have been there from the start! I would be happy to pay for the app if these features were not missing! :)

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

1. Ability to link a file to a note eg Word, PPt etc
  2. Ability to insert or paste an image into the current note

I don't follow you on the first two. Both are already in the app.

1. You can attach files into an new note. The limitation is with the OS sandboxing. Each app has it's data sandboxed in it's own container. It can give data/documents to another registered app, but an app can not access another apps data/documents. So the workflow for this is to open the "word" or "ppt" file in your email client, or in Pages/Keynote/Numbers/Other.

From email you choose to open the attachment in Evernote. Each app has it's own nuance to the process.

In Pages for example you open the word document, click the wrench icon, select "Share and Print", select "Open in Another App", choose the target format (Pages, PDF, Word), and then choose the target app (Evernote in this case).

Evernote will launch with a new note and the document attached. From here you might merge the new note with an existing note, or copy and past the note link into another existing note. Except that both of these are even more important missing features in the iOS Evernote client. There are 3rd party tools you can resort to, to accomplish it in the mean time. Hopefully Evernote will run out of Spackle and tinsel features and return to turning out usability and user request features.

2. I'm not sure why we can't paste an image into a note field, however you also said "insert". You can insert a photo from your photos from the tool bar icon, or take a new one.

You can also "paste" into evernote with 3rd party tools. Have a look at EverClip as an example.

My missing feature list would be:

• The ability to copy and paste note links (see Clever and Clever HD, who does not have $70million in developer funding, or my $40/year)
  • The ability to insert a link to a saved search in a note
  • The ability to launch evernote and a specific saved search via URL scheme
  • The ability to create a new note based on another as a template, and to do that also via a URL scheme
  • The ability to view (a desktop request as well) a selection of notes (based on tagging or search) as one concatenated note without having to merge (which we can't do on the iOS client anyway).
  • The ability to merge, or create a merged copy of a selection of notes

I agree with wanting the ability to color code notebooks.

I would also like to be able to do a screen capture in the iOS version like you can in the Mac version ( control command C ).

I realize that this might mess with the gesture based commands, but a simple button might be the answer to temporarily overing those commands.

I am constantly wanting to clip more than just an image. Usually I want an image along with it's caption, OR I want just part of an image.

Right now I have to do a work around for cropping an image and then reload it into EN.

Captioning is done by adding copy after the image. Having it included with the image would be faster and easier.

(see Clever and Clever HD, who does not have $70million in developer funding, or my $40/year)

How many platforms does Clever support?

How much Evernote data does Clever host?

See the difference?

I would also like to be able to do a screen capture in the iOS version like you can in the Mac version ( control command C ).

I'm not sure Apple exposes that ability to Evernote on iOS. However it can certainly be done the normal way. Hold the home button and the tap the Sleep/Power button. A screenshot is saved to the Photo app.

Then launch Evernote and choose the existing image from Photos.

(see Clever and Clever HD, who does not have $70million in developer funding, or my $40/year)

How many platforms does Clever support?

How much Evernote data does Clever host?

See the difference?

Sure. And how much development time did the v5 version cost, and how many of the most popular fixes to bugs, and movement toward feature parity with the desktop in some simple ways was made?

v5 is Shiny. It may be a little faster to do a few things. Certainly not so for Saved Searches, that took a step backward.

Of those who live in Evernote daily, the only frequent feature request I've noticed that was granted was Stacks.

I get that you attract new users with shiny UI bling.

But I submit that you keep users and convert them into lifelong paid customers with spending a little time on the meat and potatoes features too. As CEO Phil says " The idea is that over time users will be so happy they will eagerly look for ways to buy premium products."

I've seen a fair bit of people either creating their own interfaces to side step Evernote offerings, or moving on to other workflows/products. And more over they blog about doing so (negative advertisement).

I am totally SURPRISED that this feature doesn't exist!  I had to create a FILE:/// URL by hand to do this, and that worked.  What I want is:

Insert / Hyperlink / To File.   Browse and pick file, click OK.

@cwb, this is not the same as an attachment - we don't want the file contents embedded in the note, simply a link to it.  What would be TOTALLY awesome, would be if we link to a Dropbox folder, if that worked in Evernote across devices (e.g. we link to a Dropbox folder in Windows, then open the note on a Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. and tap the hyperlink).

@cwb, this is not the same as an attachment - we don't want the file contents embedded in the note, simply a link to it.  What would be TOTALLY awesome, would be if we link to a Dropbox folder, if that worked in Evernote across devices (e.g. we link to a Dropbox folder in Windows, then open the note on a Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. and tap the hyperlink).

This would require some sort of way of identifying the file other than the file path (which is how OS X and I believe iOS function), and there is only very limited support for non-filepath identifiers on some of the device OSs you mention. Without creating and maintaining its own index of your files on each device in which they are identified by a hash or some other means, these links would always be device-specific and frequently broken.

While I think this would be a great idea too, it seems to be like it might be a rather immense undertaking, and I suspect Evernote is more interested in taking advantage of the "attachment" feature. I would find it useful I am not holding out hope. 

DEVONthink has a similar feature in which you can point to individual files or have directories indexed (so that that DEVONthink presents references to files that reside in your computer's filesystem), but this is path-based, so re-indexing is required, references are easily broken, and there is no means of making these portable to other systems (without re-indexing each time). 

It's a tricky thing to employ in OSs that rely so heavily on file paths. 

I'd disagree, it depends upon the Dropbox API that is avialable (and of course, by extension, all the other web drive services - WebDAV, One Drive, Google Drive, etc.).  If the API is available, then it works cross-platform, and Evernote could take advantage of it.  If the API is not avialable, then Evernote certainly could contact these companies and work with them to develop such an API.  So, as a professional developer, I know just how easy it could be - and that the right way to do it is for each cloud service provider to build an API call that allows you to reference a path, and dereference that path given third-party apps on various target platforms incorporating the drive providers' API.

It's a tricky thing to employ in OSs that rely so heavily on file paths. 

It's actually not tricky, since for example (thanks to the work of the W3C) URL's follow a standard, non-platform-specific format.  Simply place a file URL into the note, of the form:

FILE:///<path-to-file>

Or, they can extend the protocol using URL specifications, and for example do something like:

DROPBOX:///<path-to-file>

Such a protocol extension has been available in desktop and mobile operating systems for at least 10 years, I believe even longer.  When you install an app, it registers with the OS that it handles the "whatever:///" protocol, so again Dropbox and the other cloud drive providers would have to handle URL's of such a format.  I bet there are other ways to do it as well.