Jackolicious

mac (Archived) Evernote for Mac Public Beta is Here

Looks nice! Right now it seems like you can only display all your notebooks together or just a single one. Is there any way the display selected notebooks (for example just notebook A and C but not B )?

You can drag any of your notes, notebooks, or tags into Shortcuts for quick access. This video shows you how:

• Like 1

Hi All. Good news about the public beta being available :)

I found these release notes helpful:

Version 5.0.0 Public Beta 1 (11/01/2012) build 400447

Evernote 5 has been redesigned with over 100 new features including:

Left Sidebar

• Shortcuts: Drag notebooks, notes, and tags to the left pane for quick access
  • Recent notes: Lets you quickly get back to notes from anywhere in Evernote
  • Notebooks and Tags view: Organize your Evernote more efficiently

Browsing and Creating Notes

• Atlas: Browse your notes visually by geographic location
  • Card and Snippet views: A better way to browse notes
  • Scalable note editor: A more elegant way to create notes, both big and small
  • Full-screen single note view: Excellent for composing notes without distractions
  • Change a note's location: Type a place manually or click the compass arrow in note info
  • Lots of keyboard shortcuts: Learn more on our What's New page
  • Shared banner: Indicates how many people have access to content in shared notebooks
  • Better simple and plain text handling: Simplify notes to remove complex formatting or convert them to plain text
  • Indent text: Evernote for Mac now supports text indentation
  • Notes created on the Mac are now tagged with location information for Atlas

Smarter Search

• Type ahead search: Completes your thoughts with suggestions from your account
  • Search Personal and Joined notebooks: Search your entire account from one place
  • Search options: Powerful new feature that lets you easily filter your search

Collaboration

• Better sharing: Notebooks and shared notebooks are all in one place
  • Mountain Lion notifications: See Evernote activity in Notification Center
  • Joined notebooks can be added to stacks

Other Improvements

• Lots of stability improvements
  • Sync improvements: Faster, more reliable sync
  • Explore Evernote: First launch experience that helps you get the most out of Evernote

• Like 1

The app really seems to have come together nicely. Congratulations on an impressive overhaul of the app.

(1) Icons

- Looking good! I don't know how much like a trunk the trunk looks, but I like it better this way myself, so I say it is a keeper.

- The others are looking good as well, though I continue to feel more unity with perspective is needed for that notebook.

(2) Contrast

- I'd still like to see more with the focus notes. And, overall, there is a lot of gray on gray, which I think makes it difficult to distinguish words.

(3) Indent button

- I'd still like to see one in the edit bar, because I think users are unlikely to know about the great work you did adding it, but at least the function exists, so we are in good shape.

(4) Updated Notebooks

- Is this new? I like it.

(5) Fuzziness

- I have an MBA 11", so it could just be my poor eyes, or my poor resolution, but the highlighted note sorting looks fuzzy to me.

(6) Asian character advanced searches not working properly

- These don't seem to be working correctly, even with quotation marks. A search for notebook: with Asian characters, for example, doesn't work as it should.

• Like 1

Some feedback:

• When I click Notebooks or Tags in the Sidebar, the cursor should be in the "Find a notebook" or "Find a tag" search box so I can click Notebook and just start typing instead of clicking Notebook then clicking Find a notebook.
  • There's not enough contrast between the text and the background in the Tags view (grey on grey). It's hard to read.
  • Because I can access my Notebooks and Tags in a drop down at the top of my notes list, the Sidebar is really only valuable for Shortcuts. That being the case, having the sidebar on the side instead of across the top (as when it was the Favorites bar) is wasted screen space. I'd much rather my Shortcuts run across the top just below the toolbar. I hope this makes sense as it's frustrating on an 11" screen to have so much wasted space on my screen. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like what I thought would be the case when I first saw the video. Maybe the shortcuts can be a dropdown to the right of the sync satellite? Or next to the tags dropdown to the right of All Notes? Just somewhere that makes it so I can close the sidebar and still have access to my shortcuts.

Those are just my impressions. I'm glad you guys are always working to improve your product and for the most part, I think you are. As a premium customer, I'm happy to see so much continued improvement across all platforms.

GM, all noted.

mrgoerend, comments noted. In response to your first question, you can actually just start typing in Notebooks/Tags sidebar items and the filter notebooks/tags field will automatically start searching for you. Thanks for the support!

• Like 1

• Because I can access my Notebooks and Tags in a drop down at the top of my notes list, the Sidebar is really only valuable for Shortcuts. That being the case, having the sidebar on the side instead of across the top (as when it was the Favorites bar) is wasted screen space. I'd much rather my Shortcuts run across the top just below the toolbar. I hope this makes sense as it's frustrating on an 11" screen to have so much wasted space on my screen. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like what I thought would be the case when I first saw the video. Maybe the shortcuts can be a dropdown to the right of the sync satellite? Or next to the tags dropdown to the right of All Notes? Just somewhere that makes it so I can close the sidebar and still have access to my shortcuts.

Great feedback!

I am not entirely pleased with our top toolbar either, because I am someone who likes to customize stuff to my own workflow. In the case of the sidebar, I had similar feelings at first (MBA 11"), but I am coming around to it now. Right click on the nabs and you can see your notebook and tag lists displayed. That's nice.

And, the shortcuts menu is perhaps the only thing in all of Evernote that you can manually order. For me this makes it incredibly valuable, and justifies the left column. This is something that would be difficult to do well with the toolbar (I think) and it actually is nice to have the stuff I want to have in the order I want it right there all the time. I started out just keeping it closed (as I did with previous versions of the app), but now have it open all the time.

These are, of course, just my impressions :) I could never fit more than one or two favorites into the bar before, so didn't use it so much, but this I use every day now. My problem? The shortcuts aren't on iOS and I am missing them there!

• Like 1

GM, all noted.

mrgoerend, comments noted. In response to your first question, you can actually just start typing in Notebooks/Tags sidebar items and the filter notebooks/tags field will automatically start searching for you. Thanks for the support!

Nice! You may want to put the cursor there anyway just so it's obvious.

German Translation of "Shortcuts" doesn`t fit. Pelase don`t call it "Tastenkombination", that sounds very bad. Just keep the english term, please.

Atlas doesn`t work. Evernote trys to sync, but fails - message is allways "trying to connect".

• Like 2

Hey all,

Congrats on the new beta release. It's certainly a nicely done product. I could go on and on about the things that I like, so please don't take any of this the wrong way ...

• As a Beta, is this considered feature complete?

Mostly I'm wondering about things that might be missing ... that were there before.

For instance, being able to customize the toolbar, and things like the Back/Forward buttons -- I tend to use internal "note" links a lot, like a Wiki, so I rely on them a bit.

I'm hoping it's not because I'm stuck on Snow Leopard at the moment ... (work machine).

Other quick starter question ... typing in the Notebook view and the Command+J key to go to Notebooks is seriously cool -- is there any chance that will include searching by Stack names as well, or just Notebooks?

If I have a stack called "Projects" for instance, I'd sort of like to be able to search for that, especially given that the sidebar is the stripped down UI now.

Yes, I could show all the items in the sidebar as before, but I'm quite happy with filtering based on typing if I don't have to do too much clicking -- it's almost better. If you don't include it in the search, you're limiting users views of their content to only getting there a certain way.

Thanks again,

• Like 1

Nice work with the update. There is so much to like. One problem though. Place names in Atlas view seem to be somewhat off. They are mostly names of places nearby the notes except for one. That one is a place in a different state. This makes atlas view almost useless for me.

I would love to see forward and back buttons in the toolbar. I was just surfing around after upgrading and had to keep jumping farther back than I really wanted to do.

Evernote trys to sync, but fails - message is allways "trying to connect".

Same issue here :(

UPDATE:

it seems that even if it shows "trying to connect", actually it works fine.

2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Contacting Evernote server...
2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: current update count: 117632
2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: session count: 1
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Upload used from server: 653420
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Nothing to pull down from server.
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Uploading changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending tag changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending search changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending notebook changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending note changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing note: <no guid> 'Prueba'
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending linked notebook changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing content of linked notebooks...
2012-11-01 22:15:20 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

Edited by tenoch
  • Like 1

Evernote trys to sync, but fails - message is allways "trying to connect".

Same issue here :(

UPDATE:

it seems that even if it shows "trying to connect", actually it works fine.

2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Contacting Evernote server...
2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: current update count: 117632
2012-11-01 22:15:17 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: session count: 1
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Upload used from server: 653420
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Nothing to pull down from server.
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Uploading changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending tag changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending search changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending notebook changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending note changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing note: <no guid> 'Prueba'
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sending linked notebook changes...
2012-11-01 22:15:19 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing content of linked notebooks...
2012-11-01 22:15:20 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

The fix is simple. Just give a note a place name of some sort. If one note has a place, then the connection issue will stop.

Overall, I do like the new design. Some things I'm sure I'll come to love as I get used to them, but might take some time.

My initial observations include:

-There's no visual cue in the sidebar which notebook you're in. I realize it says it across the top of the notes list, but I'd like it to be reflected in the sidebar. When you click on Notes/Notebooks/Tags, the text becomes white and stays that way. But when you click on an individual notebook or tag, it's only white while clicking and then it returns to the default color.

-Same problem with tags. When I command-click multiple tags, it seems to correctly select notes with those tags, but there's no cue in the sidebar which tags are selected.

-Whenever I toggle between hiding and showing the notebook list, the stacks all become expanded. That's crazy making. I have several stacks, and I liked how Evernote used to remember which ones were expanded, and which were collapsed.

-I liked how Evernote used to allow you to set a height for the notebook list and the tag list in the sidebar. I use special characters to sort important stacks/notebooks to the top, and I don't want to see the other notebooks since it means pushing the tabs out of view.

-The icons in the sidebar are way to big, in my opinion. The Notes item (which I preferred when it was just a notebook called All Notebooks) plus the Notebooks item take up a full inch of vertical space. Way too much.

-When I command-click on two tags, the tag dropdown above the notes list only shows the most recently clicked tag when I click on the triangle, even though two tags are selected. Actually, I can only surmise that the two tags are selected by reviewing the notes themselves. There's no visual feedback whatsoever for which tags are selected.

-I like the shortcuts list in the sidebar, rather than across the top. You can only fit so many items horizontally, but vertically, it's very flexible.

-I wish it would allow me to click a notebook, and then while in that notebook, select a tag (or command-click multiple tags) without leaving the notebook. Any time I select a tag to view, it assumes I want to search all notebooks. I suppose the only way to select for notes with a particular tag in a particular notebook is to type out a compound search in the search field? (e.g., notebook:receipts tag:october tag:2012)

-I wish I could expand/collapse the Notebooks and Tags list in the sidebar without right-clicking.

-I +1 the comment someone else made about the gray-on-gray in the Tags list. However, I do like how when you click on one tag, other tags that are assigned to any of the currently matching notes become highlighted. Very cool.

-I find the light gray type on the dark gray background in the sidebar a little difficult to read. And the distinction between the gray behind the selected item in the sidebar (e.g., Notebooks) and the surrounding gray is barely visible at all. I had to look closely to see if there even is a difference.

-I *really* don't like that in Snippet view, the name of the notebook only appears on the selected note's snippet. If you're looking at notes that aren't selected, there's no visual cue what notebook each note is in.

-Recent Notes seems buggy to me. Sometimes it adds notes I edited/viewed, and sometimes it doesn't.

-The list of saved searches (which as far as I can tell is only accessible when you click in the search field AND begin typing; before you begin typing, it's still hidden) needs more ways to access. I'd like to see a list of saved searches in the sidebar (like before).

-I like how when you invoke a saved search, the search parameters appear in the search bar, and can be edited.

-I *love* type ahead. Definitely my favorite new feature. I used to hate how it would hang after typing a few characters in the search field. Type ahead is snappy.

Hey all,

Congrats on the new beta release. It's certainly a nicely done product. I could go on and on about the things that I like, so please don't take any of this the wrong way ...

• As a Beta, is this considered feature complete?

Mostly I'm wondering about things that might be missing ... that were there before.

For instance, being able to customize the toolbar, and things like the Back/Forward buttons -- I tend to use internal "note" links a lot, like a Wiki, so I rely on them a bit.

I'm hoping it's not because I'm stuck on Snow Leopard at the moment ... (work machine).

Other quick starter question ... typing in the Notebook view and the Command+J key to go to Notebooks is seriously cool -- is there any chance that will include searching by Stack names as well, or just Notebooks?

If I have a stack called "Projects" for instance, I'd sort of like to be able to search for that, especially given that the sidebar is the stripped down UI now.

Yes, I could show all the items in the sidebar as before, but I'm quite happy with filtering based on typing if I don't have to do too much clicking -- it's almost better. If you don't include it in the search, you're limiting users views of their content to only getting there a certain way.

Thanks again,

I also miss the forward / backward buttons and the customizability of the toolbar. Hopefully, that will come back. Mountain Lion (in this respect) ought to look the same as Snow Leopard.

• Like 2

Can we get a "jump to tag" like command+J for jump to Notebook? That would make my day.

I second this request.

Thanks to the Evernote team for making this beta available to us and for striving to improve the app. A couple things I've noticed with the v5 beta:

1. The text in Snippet View is hard to read. It's mainly due to the gray background providing less contrast with the text. I'd suggesting adding a lighter color drop shadow and/or lightening up the background. Also, I find the green date/tags distracting.

2. As nice as the new sidebar is, I like having it hidden to give me more space. I found the horizontal favorites bar in v4 to be a great use of space, so I suggest adding the option to display Shortcuts as a horizontal toolbar when the sidebar is hidden.

3. The keyboard shortcut for displaying a note's info seems to be gone. I used this often to edit Source URL, etc.

4. I'd really love a line spacing formatting option. I find that bullet/numbered list lines are crammed together. At least add more space between list lines please.

5. The new note pane with the gray background and white note floating on top does highlight the note better, but I find that the gray background makes the formatting toolbar very hard to read due to lack of contrast. Plus, the floating white rectangle effect makes everything look cramped due to the new margins. I'd appreciate the option to use v4's all-white, full-width layout.

Thanks again!

-Chris

• Like 2

The fix is simple. Just give a note a place name of some sort. If one note has a place, then the connection issue will stop.

Do I have to do it with every note? :D Because the test note had a place, but that didn't fix the issue.

Do I have to do it with every note? :D Because the test note had a place, but that didn't fix the issue.

Not in my case. One note was enough to generate images in the Atlas view and stop the Connecting error.

I don't see anywhere that shows the number of currently displayed notes. That was key information. Before the upgrade, I had 6,036 notes. Hopefully I still do! (Since this is a beta, I'd sure like to confirm that...)

Along those same lines, I miss the number that appeared next to the tag/notebook in the sidebar. I realize the number is now displayed when double-clicking on Tags or Notebooks, but that's not very elegant.

• Like 4

Couple questions:

- Can we still save a search? I can see the two saved searches I had from the last version but I can't find how to save a new one. And maybe a way to drag a search into Shortcuts?

- No more note counts in the sidebar for Notebooks and Tags? How about hiding unassigned tags in the current within the current notebook?

- How does the related tags feature work in the Tags screen? I can see how it's figuring it groupings but is there more information on this somewhere? Ways we can make it smarter?

I don't see anywhere that shows the number of currently displayed notes. That was key information. Before the upgrade, I had 6,036 notes. Hopefully I still do! (Since this is a beta, I'd sure like to confirm that...)

Along those same lines, I miss the number that appeared next to the tag/notebook in the sidebar. I realize the number is now displayed when double-clicking on Tags or Notebooks, but that's not very elegant.

Me too :)

My ideal screen would show:

right pane = note sizes, word counts, and character counts (global toggle on / off like we used to have)

center and left panes = total note counts, etc.

• Like 1

Eep. This too. If you use one more than one notebook, you have to — gasp — do math to figure it out. Please don't make me do math, Evernote. My Liberal Arts addled brain can't handle it.

• Like 1

- Can we still save a search? I can see the two saved searches I had from the last version but I can't find how to save a new one. And maybe a way to drag a search into Shortcuts?

Edit > Find > Save Search. I'd like to see it more obvious myself :)

• Like 1

Edit > Find > Save Search. I'd like to see it more obvious myself :)

Thanks, GM. Can't believe I didn't think to look there. :)

Just noticed that when I type command-n, sometimes it doesn't go to the new note. It just stays in the note I was already in and creates a new note in the current notebook (or the default notebook if I'm in (All) Notes). And sometimes it navigates to a different note, but not the new note.

For me, the sidebar is a huge step back in usability.

• I don't need the huge icons. I navigate by tag hierarchy and the hughe icons for Notes, Notebooks, Tags, etc. destroy the harmonic layout I had for that before.
  • I am unable to select multiple tags to cumulatively act as a filter.
  • If I select a tag, there is no visual indicator to show that I had that highlight selected.
  • I thought having saved searches in the sidebar was a fairly good way to navigate because both saved searches and tags effectively act as filters. It doesn't make sense to have them split up the way it is now.
  • I found the information how many notes were assigned to each tag in the tag list to be very helpful. Many once saved searches make it back in the sidebar where they belong, the can get that too.
  • Minor thing: The arrows are overly picky. You have to hit them just right to collapse a parent tag, or it won't collapse.
  • I used to be able to acces the note info by hitting cmd-shift-i on the keyboard. It seems I am now forced to use the mouse for that. That slows me down.

An ongoing complaint:

• The area reserved for showing the tags assigned to the note are still ridiculously small. That part should be user resizable. Some people use a lot of tags. I use Evernote to collect legal research and thoroughly assign a lot of tags to cases. It works well for finding them again, but I would like to easily be able to see all tags currently assigned to a note as well.
  • As a workaround, but even better still, in addition, it would be very helpful if the sidebar tag list would subtly highlight (that is, in a lighter gradient than the one that you hopefully add to visually indicate an active selection) all tags assigned to the current note. That would make it easier to find related notes.

A bug:

• When I am in Atlas mode and hot cmd+n, a new note will be created but the view doesn't switch to it. It should.

A question:

• Is there an easy way to batch-edit geolocation for notes by assigning pre-defined location names to them? There should be....

Major improvent:

• Sidebar can now actually easily be resized.
  • Evernote seems to remember sidebar resizing.

Finally, I am not a big fan of the dark grey either. I don't mind if it is something finely textured, but the stark contrast between the sidebar and the notes pane makes it hard for me to focus my eyes on the content of the note.

• Like 1

I have done a bit of testing of the new version and here is some of my feedback.

• When Evernote is running in a fully maximized window on a 27" iMac and you enter the notebook view, the icons are so large that you can only fit 10 icons on the screen horizontally and around 5 rows vertically. That is a complete and utterly ridiculous waste of space on such a large monitor - And it doesn't provide any benefit over the old display mode what so ever!
  • The atlas function seem utterly useless to me. I'm finding it hard to imagine any situation where it has any use for 98% of the users. Can't help but feel that it's more of a gimmick and wasted development ressources.
  • You can't see which notebook is selected in the sidebar - No highlight occurs.
  • Tags aren't reachable as easily as before. Now you have to click more times to reach them.
  • If you put a stack on the shortcut bar you have to right click to collapse/extend it instead of just clicking on an arrow/icon next to it so this adds an extra step.
  • You can't drag notebooks to the shortcut list from the actual tree view of notebooks, you have to go to the giant icon notebook view which wastes another few steps to complete an action.
  • When you enable the notebook tree it looks completely out of place below those rather big icons in the sidebar. It doesn't seem to be connected or related to anything so it just seems to appear out of nowhere - Looks very odd and out of place.

One thing i really like about the new version is the edit window of the notes but most everything else seems to be more focussed on looking nice than actually being functional. Most stuff seems to be a step backwards. The notebook icons are HUGE and waste an insane amount of screen space, the atlas function seems to have been a complete waste of resources to develop, the large thumbnail display of notes is another example of something that wastes insane amounts of screen space without providing any benefit,

I depend on Evernote every single day for both my work and in my personal life so I really REALLY want to be positive and happy about the new version, but no matter how i look at it, it seems like a giant leap backwards in functionality and productivity - Which have all been sacrificed for the sake of some stupid giant icons just to look "cool" (It fails in that department btw). It's wrong and stupid on so many levels that I can't help but be greatly disappointed in the complete lack of focus on UI/UX, interaction design and a complete lack of focus in the direction of the product. There are an insane number of feature requests in the forums, all of which makes a lot more sense than wasting insane amount of screen space, requirering multiple extra steps to complete even simple tasks that in the current stable version is working just perfectly.

This is coming from a person who has worked in the software development business for 15 years and who daily works with UI/UX, interaction design and related areas.

• Like 2

Quick enhancement request: The built-in Evernote Trunk browser doesn't have a back button. If I'm browsing Mac apps, I have to keep clicking back on "Apps" then "Mac" to get at the next item.

• Like 1

This new version of Evernote for Mac is very, very good. I love the cleaner interface and I can each time I see a change in UI, I totally see the reason for it. Nothing but praise so far.

Please allow saved searches to be put in the side bar. I heavily relied on being able to click on a saved search in the top bar to quickly run that search, and having to access them through the search bar drop down seems far less efficient.

I believe it was mentioned before, but if not, when you are browsing in a specific notebook, please highlight the notebook in the side bar (whether it be in the notebooks list or a notebook shortcut).

When viewing notes in snippet view, the snippet displays what notebook that note is in only if that snippet is selected. It would be nice if all the snippets displayed the notebook regardless of whether the snippet is selected.

Please allow a vertical list view, similar to what the Windows version has when you hold down the shift key when selected the list view.

Grey on grey has got to go. To difficult to read, especially the light gray on light gray such as in the tag view and notebook view, although it wouldn't hurt to also make the text in the sidebar have more contrast to the background.

Thanks, this is a promising beta.

• Like 1

cjdeheer, thanks for the report!

Jay, thanks for the comments :)

- you can still select multiple tags at the top of the note list

- saved searches can be dragged from search into the shortcuts

- cmd-shift-i will be making a comeback, don't worry!

mlykke, thanks for the input! We added a lot of keyboard shortcuts so that navigation would be even easier than before. Hopefully those help!

iNik, good call.

camerons, thanks!

stevenrt, appreciate the input!

- searches can be added to the Shortcuts! Just drag!

Thanks fo all the feedback!

Found a missing feature:

If I want to drag and drop a number of txt files or PDF files to a specific Notebook I do this:

1. Go to Notebooks

2. Search for a notebook I want to drop the files to and try to drop the files into it.

However, this does not work. If I drop files into a notebook from Notebook Search results, nothing happens. The only way to make this work is to find the notebook in the list of notebooks manually and drop the files there.

Please fix this.

One more thing, can you please add a keyboard shortcut to delete the note that is currently open as a separate window? I often open notes via spotlight and it is painful to go to the Evernote app just to delete this note. I see that the new beta does note even have an icon to delete a note when it is open in a separate window.

One of the things I didn't see mentioned in new features listing is that you can now also drag saved searches to the left sidebar. Go the Notes view, click in the search box in the upper right, and a menu will drop down; you will see your saved searches near the bottom. Grab the one you want and drag it over to the sidebar. Just click on it and that search is instantly run and the notes appear. Very nice!

I use this for my ToDo's. I have a search for todo:false so I can see all the outstanding action items from various meetings.

Whenever Evernote gets around to focusing on task management in the clients in a real way and nails it, this service will be close to perfect. The main thing people do in meetings besides take notes for remembering items, is write down their Action Items / To Do's that come out of the meeting. I think Evernote needs to elevate this functionality and make Task Management a key part of the service / apps.

• Like 2

It looks smashing, and I'm pretty excited overall. Definitely will change my workflow as I figure this stuff out, but I'm happy with how it's going so far. I very much like the dark grey along the left (contrary to what others are saying above), but agree the icons could use some scaling back. Very happy with the shortcuts on the upper left. I am going to try to use those and not expand the notebook stack lower down, but see if I can get away with the 2 dropdown stacks in snippets column and note column. We'll see!

Few quibbles I've noticed:

1) The dropdown list of notebooks above the note (next to Click to add tags): the list that pops up has the stack name greyed out because it's not a valid selection, but it's too greyed out. I can barely see it. Please bump it up just a tad.

2) The Tag view list is too grey-on-grey for me, too. But love the red letters and love the layout.

3) Wish we could set the font for the snippet view list (I believe we could in the previous version, but that's not available in prefs now). It's a nice font, but just a tad too big for my tastes. This is the view I operate under, and I'd rather have it a tad smaller to fit more notes on the page.

• Like 1

The public beta is looking good, but 2 small suggestions.

1. I think it would be useful if tags in Snippet view were listed in blue rather than the Evernote green used for the date, in order to more easily distinguish them at a glance.

2. I agree with others who want the note-count brought back next to tags in the Sidebar, at least as an additional choice in Sidebar Options.

• Like 2

I am also very happy with this beta. The options for listing notebooks are great. The tile version would be a nice option for the ipad version but I am finding the list version in the left side best for me. I got rid of the icon for atlas (no use to me) and Trunk and turned on the list view under the View Menu. Now I have my alphabetized list of stacks and notebooks with a smaller group of favorites at the top. I would like to see an expand all/collapse all button and I would also like a collapse/expand arrow on the stacks in favorites.

Overall the design looks great. I happened to load a new EN version on a Microsoft Surface and I can see (I think) EN heading towards a more consistent desktop on all systems. That would be nice. I'm hoping the ipad beta is next...

• Like 1

The search engine is really awesome!

But for the expense of these features:

1) Go to selected note is gone (Command+L)

2) Back and Forward buttons

3) Everytime you clear the search, you are back with the same page showing all your notes from all your notebooks.

Before, you are back with the exact note you have searched earlier together with its appropiate notebook.

Workaround: Switch to Card view

4) Advanced Search Operators ex. combining multiple tags like:

notebook:medical -tag:"%IM" -tag:"ObGyn" -tag:research

• Like 1

• Okay, I admit, now that I know how to get the saved searches back to the sidebar, that does make a lot of sense.
  • As others have noted, it would be good to have a more intuitive way of saving searches though - maybe the way the Finder implements it.
  • It would be way more convenient to be able to select multiple tags in the sidebar, although I kind of like the new tag list in the main pane with its index-like look. In my everyday work, this would definitely be more a gimmick though, whereas the main filtering should be done in the sidebar. (Which I thought its purpose was)
  • Going back to the large icons, I would clarify that I am not necessarily opposed to them, but the way it looks now, the icons are an interruption of the tag list and the notebook list, etc. It is not evident how the lists refer to the icons because they are very differently designed and not tied together.
  • After half a day of usage, I can also note that the beta is extremely crash-happy, especially when using cmd-w to close a window. I guess this is to be expected from a beta.
  • I and my muscle memory also think - but am too lazy too check that by re-installing it - that the old Evernote allowed to switch from, e.g. list view to snippet view - with the keyboard. I know I can reinstate that by going to my keyboard preferences, but I think Evernote should come with defaults.

• If I run an Applescript, the Evernote window will become active, even re-appear from hiding and changing spaces (Okay, that is standard behaviour for a window that is activated). That was not the behaviour of the previous version of Evernote. There, I could run an applescript on Evernote in the background, allowing me to work on something else while Evernote was quietly doing its thing in the background.

Talking of Applescript, are there any enhancements there?

My first reflections on the beta are:

1. I'd like List View to allow the list to be next to the note editing area. Above doesn't work well for me. So Snippet is the nearest but has too much info in it.
  2. I still want a shortcut to add a row.

Ehi, where's the trash can?!? I believe I looked everywhere and couldn't find it...

Hope it's just me or the beta state of the software...

Starting from Skitch' rebuild, I feel like at Evernote they decided they have to revolutionise at all costs... Even things that really don't need to. Anyway, I hope it's just a feeling with no ground.

• Like 1

Ehi, where's the trash can?!? I believe I looked everywhere and couldn't find it...

Starting from Skitch' rebuild, I feel like at Evernote they decided they have to revolutionise at all costs... Even things that really don't need to. Anyway, I hope it's just a feeling with no ground.

Hi. Check in your notebooks. You'll find the trashcan there.

• Like 1

Playing with it a little more I like the "recent notes" feature of the sidebar. I wonder what "recent" means and don't see a setting. I'd hope it got it right for me - whatever THAT means. :-)

• Like 1

To repeat my moans:

1 - Make the toolbar configurable

2 - Show me how many notes I have in a Notebook or tagged in the sidebar, it's useful information and I want to be able to see it.

3 - Increase the contrast in the sidebar for the selected item.

Displaying tags in snippet view is great.

• Like 6

To repeat my moans:

1 - Make the toolbar configurable

2 - Show me how many notes I have in a Notebook or tagged in the sidebar, it's useful information and I want to be able to see it.

3 - Increase the contrast in the sidebar for the selected item.

Displaying tags in snippet view is great.

In my opinon, the more customizability we have the better. Everyone has totally different use cases for Evernote, but elementary schoolchildren are forced to use the exact same UI as researchers, programmers, artists, and architects. Please giving us whatever default UI you think would be best for the majority of your users, but provide options for users to tailor the app to their individual use cases. This goes for Evernote in general, not just OSX.

In my case, I need to know word counts, character counts, note sizes, tags, last-updated, notebooks, etc. I want back/forward buttons. I want to lock down notebooks so I stop posting my private journal entries in the shared public notebooks that are mixed into my account. We used to be able to toggle some of this information on / off, and I'd like to have that functionality back. I could give you a complete list someday if you'd like!

To use a much-maligned program as an example, Microsoft Word has always been completely customizable. Yes, it does suffer a bit from feature bloat, but it also has the ability to be tailored for everything from dissertations to grocery lists. Obviously, those two tasks require completely different toolbars. Leave the bloat behind but carry over the design philosophy of giving users customizability options :)

• Like 3

Played with it for a while last night. It's definitely a polished looking, high functioning app. There are a few "quirks", but nothing major. I'm just wondering, last night it didn't seem as though I could drag a note to a tag while using the card view which I was able to do previously.

I went through and made some observations and posted them on my site if anyone's interested (link in signature).

• Like 1

Hello together,

great work with the GUI

But i have a problem with the atlas mode. I didn´t see a map. Only the background. No Notes, nothing.

Any Idea?

Hello together,

great work with the GUI

But i have a problem with the atlas mode. I didn�t see a map. Only the background. No Notes, nothing.

Any Idea?

Go into a note, hit the "i" icon, enter a location there, and you will have stuff appear in the Atlas.

Hello Grump,

it seems to be an sync problem. If i use command+0 the status show me a never ending progress bar. My Firewall is disabled. The normal note syncing works fine.

Any Ideas?

Like the update so far. One problem I am having is EN killing my CPU and running at 100% when I have it open on my MBP. I have to quit out and restart to stop it from using so much CPU.

Thanks for the comments! They're very helpful and I'm noting all of them.

buckethead, you may be generating thumbnails. This should only happen temporarily during the initial upgrade process.

• Like 1

Hi. Check in your notebooks. You'll find the trashcan there.

Thank you, I found it there :)

I just don't think it's neither the right place to be nor the only one. You can't get to the trash via the menu (shortcuts maybe? don't know) and I couldn't create a sidebar shortcut.

There's a reason for the system trash to be easily accessible via the dock and the menu. What's the reason to break such a system-wide pattern for developers?

Somewhere in the thread above there was a note about how you can select multiple tags from the tag widget drop-down ... it's a nice trick, but think I'm finding myself missing the "search explanation bar" that ran horizontally over the top. Not saying whatever replaces it needs to be exactly the same, but something that better shows what drives what you're looking at.

• selected tags
  • selected notebooks
  • search phrase

Something ... I'd like to hope that there may be something coming since search, combined with tags and such is such a massive part of using Evernote with large libraries.

Even if there wasn't a full UI exposing the selected search filter, the tag widget, if you have more than one selected -- it's near impossible to tell if there are more than one tag selected -- I see one in the typeahead field, then I can use the arrow keys and *might* find something else from a prior search ...

Thanks again. Great to see progress.

• Like 2

Important missing features for me (as for others too I'm reading):

• I need a total note count somewhere. Like in the sidebar where it was originally.
  • Would love to customize the toolbar, adding forward/back and especially a "delete note" icon.

Otherwise, very cool improvements.

Thanks,

Carson

• Like 2

Version 5 is a vast improvement over previous versions however the typography of the notes themselves could use some serious work.

The leading on the text is incredibly close together making consuming the data very difficult. Also it looks like solid black is being used for the text, perhaps taking it down a few shades is a good idea?

buckethead, you may be generating thumbnails. This should only happen temporarily during the initial upgrade process.

It has happened a couple of times since the initial upgrade process. It its 100%+ and when I notice it I quit out (command+q) of EN and then restart it again and it is normal cpu usage.

• Like 1

Oh, now that I've worked on it a big more: Trashing a note has become more complicated..

I can't find a way other than right-clicking on note in the snippet view list (which is the list view I use). My workflow involves trashing notes pretty often. (I use Evernote as a read-later kinda thing, and many of the notes just get read and trashed).

- I tried drag Trash notebook to shortcuts, but it wouldn't go

- Show Notebook List (right-clicking on the Notebook icon) doesn't have Trash

Very much not a fan of right-clicking to delete - on my MacBook Air, it requires two hands (ctrl-click) - oh the horror, right? - for something that's so frequently used.

If there something I'm just missing, let me know..I hunted around, but wasn't finding anything..

Thank you - still liking the new interface very much, on the whole!

• Like 1

Oh, now that I've worked on it a big more: Trashing a note has become more complicated..

I can't find a way other than right-clicking on note in the snippet view list (which is the list view I use). My workflow involves trashing notes pretty often. (I use Evernote as a read-later kinda thing, and many of the notes just get read and trashed).

- I tried drag Trash notebook to shortcuts, but it wouldn't go

- Show Notebook List (right-clicking on the Notebook icon) doesn't have Trash

Very much not a fan of right-clicking to delete - on my MacBook Air, it requires two hands (ctrl-click) - oh the horror, right? - for something that's so frequently used.

If there something I'm just missing, let me know..I hunted around, but wasn't finding anything..

Thank you - still liking the new interface very much, on the whole!

Just an FYI: you can right-click by clicking with two fingers on the trackpad on your Air.

• Like 1

A couple of other things I've noticed:

• Deleting a note from my All Notes view by hitting delete on my keyboard doesn't alway move the note out of my All Notes view. It's still there but it says it's in the trash.
  • When I'm in a notebook and I click "New note in [notebook title]" it creates the note but doesn't select the note. It should select the note and put my cursor either in the note's title or the body of the note.
  • I like seeing the users and the notebook on a note in snippet view but it only shows for the currently selected note. I get why it may get cluttered to have that on every note in the list, but how about having that information show up when you hover over a note? That would be especially helpful in the All Notes list.
  • I'd really like a button to click to open/close the sidebar (like on the web version) preferably at the top of the sidebar (as opposed to the bottom).
  • Is there a keyboard shortcut to open the note info popup?
  • I'd still really like to be able to close the sidebar and still access my shortcuts (like on 3.3.0) Something like this seems like it could work: Evernote-1.jpg

That's all for now. I really appreciate how often Jackolicious is jumping in here to say you all are taking note of our suggestions. Feels like we're being listened to. :)

• Like 1

Here's another user with a non working Atlas and an endless progress bar (It says "Verbindung wird hergestellt..." which probably translates to "connecting..."). Adding a note with Geo data didn't fix as others suggested, generally Sync seems to work regardless of that bug)

Also, +1 to the translation problem report: "Shortcuts" is translated to "Tastenkombinationen" (in the sidebar) and "Tastaturkürzel" (in the popup menu of the sidebar) which both means "Keyboard Shortcuts". More appropriate might be something like "Schnellzugriff" (which would translate to "quick access"), since there is no good translation for "Shortcut" - The direct translation "Abkürzung" will be more confusing than helping, I guess.

Last Problem, also already reported by several people: Hitting CMD-N for creating a new note actually creates a new, empty note but doesn't jump to that note. I sincerely hope that this is not expected behaviour.

Apart from that I like where this is going!

Another potential issue:

Plain text copy and paste.

If I convert a note to plain text (Make Plain Text from the Format); select the contents; and then copy and paste into TextEdit or another plain text editor, the lines are double spaced.

I know there were issues before with the format of line endings (windows/unix/mac) and copying and pasting, but I was hoping the make plain text option would correct this.

Overall, I really like the new version, but I'd also like a 3 column list view.

Thoughtfull discussion and comments (thank you all). Like the others, I like several features and really love Evernote. It helps me in so many ways.

A couple of thoughts after using a couple hours:

Desire for user customization

The toolbar -

- old - Back/Forward buttons - critical when working internal links between notes

- old - trash can - speed

Color / Size contrasting

- people have different preferences ("Clearly" plug-in is a nice example, simple)

- For others it goes beyond preferences (ADA context) - vision/processing is directly influenced by color contrasts

Please bring back or allow customization:

- lost the ability to select a tag with control+clicl to delete, rename, sort

- lost ability to select and drag multiple notes to tag

- lost note counts in the sidebar for Notebooks and Tags

Again, MUCH THANKS!!!

• Like 1

I installed the beta on my work Macbook first, then on my home iMac. After installing it on my Macbook, I went to town customizing the shortcuts bar. When I installed the beta later that night on my home iMac, my shortcuts did not show up.

Are these aspects of the app not syncing across Mac?

The Beta looks promising, but there are definitely some things to work out.

In particular, the Saved Search function is clunky. I was freaking out about not having them in the sidebar--I'm glad you can drag them over. Why not also have a collapsable menu there like Tags or Notebooks?

There doesn't seem to be a way to change the names of saved searches any more. Once they are in a shortcut, all you can do is remove them from that area. And you can't right click on the search drop down and get any menu, nor is the completely buried Find > Save Search (Thanks Jackolicious, brought my BP back to save levels) doesn't appear to have any renaming options.

I use a GTD system that relies on saved searches combining notebooks/tags, so I have a ton of them. Saving them to my shortcuts now means there's no more room on the Sidebar for much else. If Shortcuts could be sectioned, and those sections collapsable, or, likely a better option, the return of a Saved Search category on the sidebar as a user option, my life would be easier.

A recent tags feature, or the ability to save frequently used tags to the sidebar would also be a time saver.

Generally, I like the improvements otherwise. Thanks!

As always, thanks for the comments. Great stuff here! We are definitely listening and *always* read this forum. We don't have time to respond to everyone but we value the input and consider every suggestion.

Karen,

- good suggestion about dragging the trash to shortcuts

- you can delete a note by clicking on it and using the delete key on your keyboard

mrg,

- trash behavior, good catch. strange bug!

- new note focus, aware and working on it

- keyboard shortcut for note info, working on it!

- close the sidebar and see shortcuts, you can use keyboard shortcuts for them right now :) cmd-(1-9)

halfbyte,

- translation in german definitely needs fixing

- note focus, good catch. working on it.

- atlas connecting issue, thanks for reporting!

annapolis

- dragging multiple notes to a tag, you can do this with shortcuts :)

Steve,

- shortcuts aren't syncing right now

jrlindeley,

- you can definitely drag tags into the sidebar's shortcuts. enjoy!

Thanks again all!

• Like 1

Haven't played much around with it yet, since it keeps crashing (but them's the betas, innit?). But I immediately discovered to eye sores that needs fixing.

First: We need to be able to remove this horror from the toolbar:

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

I hated the icon and what it does from day 1. Before I could make a vanishing act with it and move on, now, alas ... Well, at least this obnoxity (is a word now) can be disabled in notification center; let's hope this disease does not spread further.

And do something about this:

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Give us an option to make it vanish from our sight entirely. Or at least change the wording to something that makes sense - took me a few minutes to realise that there's nothing wrong with the connection and that it's not constantly trying to connect. Very misleading UI there.

Edit: I don't know where the screenshots went. They just vanished out of my Skitch account ...

Steve,

- shortcuts aren't syncing right now

Thanks again all!

I hope if you change this in the future that you make it an option to sync or not. I realized that my shortcuts on my MBR were solely work/project based whereas on my home iMac I set up different shortcuts for what I work on at home.

Hugh

Please add a keyboard shortcut and maybe an icon to delete an individual note when it is open in a separate note window.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic, love the design. But clicking on Recent notes causes it to crash. Submitted error report.

The new design is beautiful! And soon new iOS versions! Life is good. Would love to be able to access the built in paragraph formats in the iOS versions (Headers, block quote etc.) from the Mac application as well, so as to have consistent look to my notes. Keep up the great work.

Bug:

- Evernote doesn't remember sort order setting and on every launch I have to set it back to alphabetic

Thoughts:

- Icons (od Notes, Notebooks, Atlas, etc.) in the sidebar are too big in my opinion

- Notebooks should behave similar to folders in iOS or launchpad (it should pull-down on click and show Notebooks list). That would solve highlight issue people are complaining about too.

Looks great!

The usability feedback given here already pretty much covers the gripes I have with the new UI so I won't reiterate those.

However, I have to agree with some of the posters that the sidebar icons are a bit too big. I also think they are overly decorated. Less color and more contrast would make them more accessible. The layout already has some similarities with the Sparrow e-mail client - I would make the sidebar icons similar as well (keep the icon labels, though). Another good example would be iPhoto.

Anyway, these things are purely a matter of aesthetics, so I can't say how alone I am with my opinion :)

It has happened a couple of times since the initial upgrade process. It its 100%+ and when I notice it I quit out (command+q) of EN and then restart it again and it is normal cpu usage.

I had experienced the same problem for many times on my 2012 MBA(ver. 5.0 public beta). When I open and check activities monitor, the evernote.app just consumed more than 200% cpu!!! After restart it, the cpu usage is back to normal status. (it never happened before 5.0)

Intitle Search Error

- This error can be easily reproduced. Search for intitle:term so that you get four or five notes to appear. Start editing one at a time. On or after the third one, the screen will go blank, and you'll show 0 Notes, even though the search is being filtered exactly the same way. Rerun the search and it will happen again.

Another vote for showing total note count.

(Had posted this in another area and then found this thread so copying and pasting here)

I recently upgraded to Evernote 5 for MAC and actually like the new UI. The only thing I cannot seem to find is the total note count. Since I work across multiple computers I frequently use this to make sure EN is up to date. On the left (black) column next to the Notes icon I was expecting to see the total note count in parenthesis. Not there. However, in the middle column, if I choose to group by category I can see sub counts of notes in each group but again no total note count. Has the total note count been left off of EN 5 for MAC? If so I would vote for it to be restored.

Search Filter and Focus Note Problem

- If you are editing a note and change it so that the search filter parameters no longer apply (removing a word that you used in the search, for example) you are thrown out of the note and the note disappears. You have to clear the search and sort by updated to find it again. Of course, I understand the logic of what is happening, but in practice, I don't think it should work this way. Surely the app should never kick us out of a note we are working on, right?

Forward / Back Buttons

- I've mentioned this before, but now that I have had a chance to sit down and use the app for an extended period (power back on after Sandy!) I realize how dramatically this will impact me. My entire account is structured around note links, and now when I tap on one, I cannot go back to the originating note. It broke my personal wiki, and now all I have are a bunch of links that were a pain to make, and will probably go unused now :(

• Like 4

Also here connection problems with the atlas.

Another point:

It seems counter-intuitive to me, that a double-click on "tags" in the side doesn't open the taglist in the sidebar. The workaround with the context-menu is kind of a hassle...

But over all, it looks like this is going to be a great update!

Another vote for forward/backward buttons, or a keyboard shortcut that will do the same.

Fair play, this version is even worse than the last. I've already rolled back to version 3.0.2, but if you would like, I will re-upgrade and make a note of everything I find to be a wrong with it. Please don't just charge on with implementing this version, I implore you to listen to people's concerns.

In the meantime, I seem to have lost all my offline notebooks with the move from 3 to 5, any ideas where I might find them? I thought they might have returned when I downgraded, but they're still missing.

Fair play, this version is even worse than the last. I've already rolled back to version 3.0.2, but if you would like, I will re-upgrade and make a note of everything I find to be a wrong with it. Please don't just charge on with implementing this version, I implore you to listen to people's concerns.

In the meantime, I seem to have lost all my offline notebooks with the move from 3 to 5, any ideas where I might find them? I thought they might have returned when I downgraded, but they're still missing.

Hi. I don't have an answer for your local notebooks, but I am wondering about what you find wrong with the app. Besides the bugs I've reported, and a few tweaks here and there, things are looking pretty good to me, and I feel like this is an improvement over the previous interface.

After continuing to use it for a couple days, I find myself using the Shortcuts to make up for some shortcomings of the new design. The sidebar implementation of Notebooks and Tags is very poor, in my opinion: no visual cue of which notebook and tag(s) are selected; nonpersistent expanded/collapsed state of stacks and parent tags; no info on how many notes in a tag or notebook; inability to confine vertical space for notebooks and tags in the sidebar, causing too much sidebar scrolling... I'm not a fan of the newspaper-style list of tags and notebooks in the main window -- too confusing to follow when you have lots of tags, especially nested tags. So I've stopped using the notebooks and tags in the sidebar altogether and I keep dragging more and more things to Shortcuts to make them more accessible. But now they feel less like shortcuts and more like I'm trying to recreate the old (better) sidebar. Like someone else in this thread noted, it feels like they were trying to revolutionize the app, even in areas where it didn't need it.

The search functionality is a HUGE improvement. Glad they revolutionized that.

• Like 3

One thing I just noticed that I REALLY like is when you're in a notebook, the tag dropdown menu only displays tags that are actually used in the selected notebook. Love that.

• Like 1

I just noticed a bug (at least I consider it a bug). When you're in a particular notebook (note all notes) and you click on the tag dropdown menu, it shows a list of tags that are used in that notebook. And as you type it instantly filters the list to matching tags. But when you delete what you've typed, it doesn't revert to the original list of tags. It doesn't show any tags at all, until you start typing again. The only way to make the list of tags reappear is to close the menu and reopen it.

Hi. I don't have an answer for your local notebooks, but I am wondering about what you find wrong with the app. Besides the bugs I've reported, and a few tweaks here and there, things are looking pretty good to me, and I feel like this is an improvement over the previous interface.

UPDATE 04.11.2012 - Pruned comments for clarity and excessive verbiage. Will expand if I get a chance to re-upgrade.

Notebooks

- Can't drag an item to a notebook

- Notebook page seems pretty pointless - Just build functionality back into sidebar

- Skeuomorphism of the notebook view. No need for this aesthetic in a digital notebook, but at least there is an option to turn this off.

- No total counts in sidebar

Tags

- Tag page scrolls right, not down (Anti-intuitive)

- As with notes, no total counts in sidebar

- Tag list no longer updates to reflect active notebook

- Hide unassigned tags option removed

- Tag page is pretty pointless - As per notes, just build functionality into sidebar

General

- Navigation back and forth has been removed

- No trash in sidebar

- Toolbar no longer customisable

- Usage no longer in toolbar - You need to go into account info

- Thumbnail view still terrible - 'Cover' view iteration from version 3 was far better. No option to hide overlaid text.

- Option to resize the thumbnails has been removed

- Vertical list view still not available

- Massive icons wasting space - Ornamental rather than useful

- Atlas - Why?

- New sidebar is far too gimmicky - Bring back solid functionality and reduce excessive layers/hierarchy e.g. Notebook/Tag pages

For balance, some GOOD things:

- Thumbnail view is an improvement on the last version. i.e. I can actually see a reasonably nice view of the note, still an issue though, as above.

- It does look a bit nicer

- Advert removed

- (Will add more if and when I re-upgrade)

• Like 2

Nevermind my last comment about Unassigned Tags filtering being missing. It's just at the top of the notes pane as opposed to where it used to be in the far left pane.

Awesome.

Yeah, it's not a thumbnail issue. Something is causing a grab of CPU cycles. From my Activity Monitor: Evernote, 229.8% CPU, 19 threads, 218.4 MB memory usage while idle. This happens every few hours, sending my MacBook Air fans into overdrive. I need to quit and restart Evernote to send CPU usage back to normal levels.

• Like 1

Hi,

I can't wait trying this new version!

As I am using the Appstore version, can I uninstall it, reinstall the non-appstore version and tick the beta update option?

Will it work?

Hi,

I can't wait trying this new version!

As I am using the Appstore version, can I uninstall it, reinstall the non-appstore version and tick the beta update option?

Will it work?

Yes, Baptiste, that is exactly what I did.

Request: Note Float

I used to be able to open a note in a separate window while running fullscreen, and it would float on top. This made it easy to drag notes into it to create links. Now when I do this, the note disappears behind the fullscreen window and can only be retrieved by going out of fullscreen and looking behind the main window.

I hope this will be restored.

On the whole, I like the beta very much.

• Like 1