can I selectively synch certain notebooks?

• Level 5*

I have one notebook that I do NOT want on my PC, I want this one notebook to exist only in the cloud. How might I do that? Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the herd.

You cannot selectively sync notebooks. Yet. Phil (CEO) says it is inevitable, so it is on the roadmap! But, it is a one-hundred year company, so it could be anytime between now and 2108. The sooner we get it, the better. It is a "missing feature" that has dramatically impacted how I use Evernote.

• Level 5*

FWIW, I would be very cautious about storing important information *only* in a cloud. If the cloud loses your information (for whatever reason), you are SOL.

Indeed! Truer words have not been heard by my ears. But, I would like to download my entire database onto my cheap Windows machine and selectively sync on my expensive MBA :)

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I would be very cautious about storing important information *only* in a cloud. If the cloud loses your information (for whatever reason), you are SOL.

Indeed! Truer words have not been heard by my ears. But, I would like to download my entire database onto my cheap Windows machine and selectively sync on my expensive MBA :)

agree, that's what I have been doing as temp solution; I don't understand why evernote can't have "selective synch" as dropbox offered? I wonder if there is anything new in this regard on the latest release version?

• Level 5*
agree, that's what I have been doing as temp solution; I don't understand why evernote can't have "selective synch" as dropbox offered? I wonder if there is anything new in this regard on the latest release version?

They *could* do it if they wanted to, and it had high enough priority.

But they don't, at least at this time.

For the desktops, it's unlikely for the immediate future, as they've just release updates to both the Windows and Mac desktop clients.

But you never know...

• 5 months later...

I have one notebook that I do NOT want on my PC, I want this one notebook to exist only in the cloud. How might I do that? Thanks.

I also would like this feature.  Currently, I use skitch that allows me to send the URL of my screenshots to people.  However, I don't want the *screenshots* synch'ed to my iPhone Evernote as they take up a lot of space.  So, how can I utilitize the screenshot links while not synch them to my iPhone?  It would really be nice to have selective sync.  

Also, I noticed that the new Skitch version doesn't even allow you to NEVER synch to Evernote, so it's now forced.  Why is that?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

I'll jump in and wish out loud for selective sync.

My use case is that I have Evernote on my PC at work and I'd like to only sync my work-related notes to that computer.

In the absence of selective syncing, what I would probably do is get a separate Evernote account for work, and if I wanted to see my work notes at home, I'd share my work notebook(s) with my home account.

To put a different slant on this, the mobile apps work like that by default - only those notebooks that you explicitly request "offline" access for get synched to the device (it's a Premium service, I think). You have some cached information (minimally note titles and thumbnails) on the device, but retrieve most data from the cloud only when required.

Obviously these devices don't have enough local storage to default to the normal device cloud sync that the desktop clients use, so it's not a huge leap of faith that it would be possible to have a desktop app that works in a similar way to the mobile apps.

Julie

I have the opposite desire from this post.  I have a notebook that I do not want anywhere else except my phone.  Pictures of my credit cards, passports, passwords, drivers license etc, I don't want on the cloud...anywhere.  Evernote has been hacked before and probably will again in the future.  I can control my iphone's location.  But alas, when I had unchecked a notebook labeled "private" in the 'download selected notebooks' settings.  I found it on all my subsequent devices...go figure.  Anybody help with this?  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

I guess what I'm really asking is, how do I create a 'local notebook only' on an iphone (mobile app).  Creating one on the desktop is easy, but that's not where I want it...

Thanks all.

- Premium user for 2 years

• Level 5*

I have the opposite desire from this post.  I have a notebook that I do not want anywhere else except my phone.  Pictures of my credit cards, passports, passwords, drivers license etc, I don't want on the cloud...anywhere.  Evernote has been hacked before and probably will again in the future.  I can control my iphone's location.  But alas, when I had unchecked a notebook labeled "private" in the 'download selected notebooks' settings.  I found it on all my subsequent devices...go figure.  Anybody help with this?  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Hi. I think you are asking if you can have a local notebook on your mobile device. I am afraid that this is not possible. In fact, it is relatively difficult to get notes syncing to a mobile device without the cloud using any app. Here are some thoughts on how to secure your data and app alternatives for syncing without the cloud (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288). One option for you might be to have that private notebook in VoodooPad and the rest of your notes in Evernote (assuming iOS).

Personally, I have found it useful to use local notebooks on my desktop, and I would like to see local notebooks on mobile devices someday as well.

Thanks for the reply Grumpy.  I will checkout voodoo.  While I was pondering this issue, it appears that OneNote mobile might offer what I want, simply a notetaker that I can add text (preferably rich) and pictures, etc., that is searchable, quick to get to (1 or 2 clicks), that I can keep off the any cloud.

Evernote: I love the app, keep on working to be the full service notetaker/keeper please.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply Grumpy.  I will checkout voodoo.  While I was pondering this issue, it appears that OneNote mobile might offer what I want, simply a notetaker that I can add text (preferably rich) and pictures, etc., that is searchable, quick to get to (1 or 2 clicks), that I can keep off the any cloud.

Evernote: I love the app, keep on working to be the full service notetaker/keeper please.

OneNote mobile does sync through wifi (I think), but I am not aware of any capability to keep that data off the cloud. Are you sure this is how it works? In addition, are you sure OneNote mobile supports encryption? I understood the wifi sync option as one that still goes through the cloud. I am afraid, though, that I have not used the app recently, and I simply don't have enough experience with it to say.

I guess what I'm really asking is, how do I create a 'local notebook only' on an iphone (mobile app).  Creating one on the desktop is easy, but that's not where I want it...

Thanks all.

You should use a true password manager for senstive data such as passwords, credit card info, etc.

Pictures of my credit cards, passports, passwords, drivers license etc, I don't want on the cloud

Pictures can't be encrypted in Evernote.  I wouldn't want to keep pictures of my credit cards etc anywhere.  At all. 

A proper encrypted password manager app is much more appropriate for that kind of sensitive data.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Instead of selective sync, I created a second evernote account which I use at the office. Then share to that account just the notebooks that I need from my original account.

Thanks for the tip! All I needed really :)

Archived