(Archived) best use of evernote

I would like a recommendation from users what is the best use of evernote. Either to use it as a temporary storage for notes, etc. to be subsequently organized on the pc, or to just leave everything in the Evernotes environment. As one has documents, etc. already on the pc, one does not want to have various types of information in different environments, i imagine.

I now have stuff on Daily Notes, Notes Plus, One Note on my pc and Evernote... It becomes tricky this way, as different applications offer different advantages, such as taking handwritten notes on some of these. Hope question is clear and would love to get some feedback.

//

• Level 5

My preference is to use Evernote to store

• reference material,
  • web captures,
  • my past activities and completed reminders,
  • and finished tasks, meetings, and actions.

Evernote does not handle future activities well. I developed a work-around, but it is clunky.

I generally do not use Evernote for work-in-progress material that requires re-work and additional editing.

Every time a note is re-edited, the note size is added to the monthly quota cap.

I do not use Evernote for holding temporary information.

Of course, other people have different ways of using the program.

I use Evernote to store all my work and personal information.

I have a folder called Diary 2012 and every day create a new page. The page is dated as per Grumpy's suggestion so today is 121101

As tasks come in they are put in the 'day' and then a tick box and line underneath. Next task goes under that.

As I work on the task I type what is happening in red. Customer emails are entered in green.

Once a task is complete the 'tick box' is completed.

Once a day has all tasks completed it is then moved to the Diary 2012 Completed folder.

I have specific folders for key areas, be they suppliers for business or interests such as Photography, RV (Motorhome), Cycling.

There is a folder called Evernote, where I may keep tips and links to useful docs or web sites

Within some folders such as RV, I keep a list of everything I need to remember to take away with me as list with tick boxes.

I keep a single archive for the completed diaries which goes back to 2007 from when I used OneNote. Every day is tagged depending on the year.

The system evolved based on my method of use in OneNote. As new ideas and thoughts come up the system can easily be changed to suit.

Regards

Chris

• 4 months later...

I use evernote as a powerful GTD (getting things done) task management tool. See www.thesecretweapon.com

This method has really changed my workflow and helps me prioritize/track progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I use EN Business as a project management/collaboration system. Business provides 2gb of monthly uploads which for me is a massive overkill. In addition there is a personal section which I use to eliminate paper, record events such as house extension, birthdays and other celebrations. In a nutshell EN is now at the centre of everything I do whether business or personal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use EN for everything.  It has helped me go paperless.  I keep all my customer notes, mostly from phone calls, along with all emails customer related.  I keep my Outlook inbox empty because I deal with them and store emails and replies in EN.  I also have a reference notebook that keep all the work related .PDFs and knowledge base documents in. I share my customer and my reference notebook with my colleagues.  I have a personal notebook that I share wife my wife.  I keep pictures of receipts for warranty, price references, medical card, prescription information. automobile oil change info and miles per gallon info, a picture of my license plate, owners manual for TV, satellite receiver.  I make check list of items that I need to take with me to lake or race track.  I keep everything in EN.  It is my go to for all information that I think I may need on my PC, iPhone and iPad.  I am paperless, if I get a piece of paper I need I scan it and put in EN and recycle the paper.  I have even started a numbered list of all the features I do use as a reminder and to share with others.  I think EN is awesome.

• 5 weeks later...

EN is helpful for storing information - but it is a "stovepipe" and poorly integrated with other apps.

I'm using Google Docs more and more instead - you can create editable weblinks - and and paste those links into your calendar or todo manager, etc.

• 2 months later...

I use EN for everything.  It has helped me go paperless.  I keep all my customer notes, mostly from phone calls, along with all emails customer related.  I keep my Outlook inbox empty because I deal with them and store emails and replies in EN.  I also have a reference notebook that keep all the work related .PDFs and knowledge base documents in. I share my customer and my reference notebook with my colleagues.  I have a personal notebook that I share wife my wife.  I keep pictures of receipts for warranty, price references, medical card, prescription information. automobile oil change info and miles per gallon info, a picture of my license plate, owners manual for TV, satellite receiver.  I make check list of items that I need to take with me to lake or race track.  I keep everything in EN.  It is my go to for all information that I think I may need on my PC, iPhone and iPad.  I am paperless, if I get a piece of paper I need I scan it and put in EN and recycle the paper.  I have even started a numbered list of all the features I do use as a reminder and to share with others.  I think EN is awesome.

I appreciate the above.

I use an Android cell phone and Win 7 laptop.

Would you kindly enumerate - in detail - what you do to archive your RECEIPTS in EN.

Thanks much in advance!

Alan

• Level 5

Scanning in receipts has been much talked about on this forum here.

Use the SEARCH box and you will find lots of messages. Here is an example.

Basically you need a scanner (Scansnap is a widely used one) and designate a notebook where your scans should go.

Thank you, Wern, for the link:  Here is an example (#11).

TO:  mxturner:

I appreciate your post above (#8).

I use an Android cell phone and Win 7 laptop.

Based on your comments above, I would appreciate better understanding in detail - what and how you personally archive your RECEIPTS in EN.

Thanks much in advance.  :)

Alan

Evernote is my auxiliary brain. I use it for:

• checklists
  • templates
  • article ideas
  • saving articles and web pages
  • my personal and business knowledge database
  • mobile notes
  • research

I do NOT use it for 

• my to do list
  • project management (except for checklists, templates, knowledge database and research)
  • writing full ebooks (except for research)

Hi AK7,

Thanks for your input. The Secret Weapon is used by a lot of people on here. 

Have Evernoted your Paperless Ninja and look forward to reading that. A quick view and it looks like some great ideas.

Best regards

Chris

Archived