Notify others about new folders, notes, changes

My biggest problem with Evernote, and reason for looking for alternative solutions, is that any new folder, note or change is not immediately indicated for other users. I have to go through this convoluted process of sending an email. I think we can all agree part of the reason to use Evernote is to eliminate inbox bloat. When someone wants to share a notebook with me I have to open my email client and click on a link in my browser. This is archaic! There should be a button in the desktop, web and mobile interfaces that say notify person and they get a pop up or notification on all the systems the've deemed appropriate.

Can we fix the way we communicate with others we're sharing our notes with please before I kill my co-workers and lose more time on our projects. Thanks.

Oh, and fix your syncing process. This should work immediately, not every X minutes. ugh. I can't tell you how much work we've lost.

I do know that you have to hit the sync button in order for it to sync at an acceptable time. Other people I work with forget this. What happens is if someone else is working on the note at the same time and they walk away from their computer, or turn it off before its done syncing, and I hit sync now, all their changes are lost. This has happened at least a dozen times. I just find Evernote isn't tuned for real time collaborative efforts. I don't think that's going to change so I'm looking for alternatives.

I don't think Evernote was ever geared towards synchronous real time collaboration, if you want that then go to Google Docs, from there you can save stuff into Evernote using a PDF Printer driver or "Send to Evernote" printer plug-in

• Level 5*

Evernote is really not the app for you if you are looking for real time collaboration - it's just not designed that way.

Activity Stream does tell you when a shared note has been updated.

• 1 year later...

I agree and find this very frustrating.  I think all of the responses misunderstood the meaning.   The point has little to do with syncing.  The point is that if I add a new note to a notebook there is no way that other users know that I have added a note. I want a choice that will automatically highlight changes to the folder (like a push notification on my phone) from within Evernote or would automatically send out an email (either immediately or several times a day with updates from users).  

I have so many notes that my team needs to see but they don't even know it exists.  If they knew they would be on Evernote a lot more.

Wow, it's been over a year and nothing has changed.  There's still way too much effort needed just to share folders and notes.  Someone somewhere told me that Evernote was never meant as a business tool.  Yet, its clear Evernote has noticed its usefulness for businesses. 

We've all but abandoned Evernote as a team and moved on to Google Docs and other tools.  Evernote, as prolific as it is, really has no focus at all.  It's a truly horrible product that has mostly gotten in our way as a communication and documentation platform. I feel really bad for the talented developers building this tool who have been misguided by poor, disinterested leadership.

• 9 months later...

Wow, it's been over a year and nothing has changed.  There's still way too much effort needed just to share folders and notes.  Someone somewhere told me that Evernote was never meant as a business tool.  Yet, its clear Evernote has noticed its usefulness for businesses. 

We've all but abandoned Evernote as a team and moved on to Google Docs and other tools.  Evernote, as prolific as it is, really has no focus at all.  It's a truly horrible product that has mostly gotten in our way as a communication and documentation platform. I feel really bad for the talented developers building this tool who have been misguided by poor, disinterested leadership.

Couldn't agree more.  The combination or no overall direction (is it a personal or collaboration tool?), incoherent UI and sloppy engineering is very frustrating for a product which has such clear opportunities.

• 2 months later...

Archived