Evernote on Windows 8 (Desktop) issue

mindrag

I am trying to use Evernote on Windows 8. This is the desktop version, not the Metro (or whatever it's called now) app. My problem is, when I pin the Evernote shortcut to the taskbar, and then try to launch Evernote, I get an error message which says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." However, I can launch Evernote into desktop mode from the Win8 start screen. Hopefully that is not too confusing -- I like Windows 8 but this app dichotomy is really too much.

It seems like I should be able to run Evernote directly from the taskbar - all my other apps that ran on Windows 7 work just fine that way. Has anyone encountered this issue?

P.S. I am using Evernote v4.5.10.7472 and Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks,

Brian

Ooh, Windows 8 Pro... fancy! I haven't been able to reproduce it on my developer version of Windows 8 running on an intel chip (I'm assuming this is the equivalent of your Windows 8 Pro).

I did a right click on the shortcut, Pin to Taskbar

Open from Taskbar

Evernote runs as usual!

ps. If you have any feedback to the layout of the Win8 (formerly known as Metro) app, I'd love to hear it. Especially from existing desktop users. We've got a lot of work to do on that app, and feedback is greatly appreciated

I should have noted that this only happens when initially launching Evernote. Once Evernote is running I can access it from the taskbar just fine.

Also, I can launch Evernote from a desktop shortcut in addition to the start screen shortcut. Just not the taskbar!

The Metro app looks nice, but since all my development work is done on the desktop it's just easier for me to use desktop apps for everything.

I should have noted that this only happens when initially launching Evernote. Once Evernote is running I can access it from the taskbar just fine.

Also, I can launch Evernote from a desktop shortcut in addition to the start screen shortcut. Just not the taskbar!

The Metro app looks nice, but since all my development work is done on the desktop it's just easier for me to use desktop apps for everything.

Hmm I had quit Evernote and tried launching it from the task bar without issue. I'll see if QA can reproduce it.

And I agree, if you're mostly in the desktop world, stick with the desktop app. I'm there the majority of the time as well (at least for now). Well actually, while except when I'm at meetings...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, The Evernote interface with Windows 8 is awful. I cannot see the notebooks or notes as easily as I did in version 4.5.10. What can I do? The app is terrible, nothing like as user-friendly.

Could you be more specific? What types of workflows do you have? The two apps are separate apps and have independent teams running them

Hi, The Evernote interface with Windows 8 is awful. I cannot see the notebooks or notes as easily as I did in version 4.5.10. What can I do? The app is terrible, nothing like as user-friendly.

Could you be more specific? What types of workflows do you have? The two apps are separate apps and have independent teams running

Thanks for your reply.I am using Evernote on a new laptop with Windows 8. The layout/interface is utterly different> Before I had a stack/list of notebooks on the left & a pane of notes for each notebook. I am not sure I understand your question actually. I was using 4.5.10 with Vista. I create notes and add them to specific notebooks(?)

So the new Windows Store App is using a different style and design language. We've moved away from a standard 3 panel view and are optimized for a touch-first experience, but also include keyboard and mouse.

You can always run both version of Evernote

• 2 months later...

I can't seem to install Evernote on my Windows 8 64-bit machine. I am getting the same error message as above. I can get the Windows 8 (metro) app installed from the App store, but I can't get the Desktop version to run. When I try to run the executable, I get the message "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

​Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I am unable to get Evernote_4.6.3.8096 to install on my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit machine. I've attempted to run it as administrator, and it just hangs while installing. Note: I couldn't even get it to run without doing run as administrator.

Hey all,

I'm having the same reaction as above to the Windows Store App as the other guys. I'm going to run both versions for a while and see if the WSA version grows on me. 

I just installed ver 4.6.3.8096 to a brand new, out-of-the-box, Lenovo X230 running W8, 64 bit.  I didn't have any installation problems.

That said, dlu, you have a very, very difficult job 

Initially my feedback is:

1. Very little information density on-screen.  This may be a benefit in small screen tablet app, but a bummer on a laptop.

2. The Notebook view is really hard to work with.  There isn't any visual implementation for stacks.  The scroll bar at the bottom seems strangely retro.  The rest of W8 seems to address left-right scrolling by just mousing over.

3. Once the initial sync is done...all my notes weren't synced.  Subsequent syncs are fetching the rest of my notes.  The spinning dots (?) while syncing is nice...but perhaps a progress meter or percentage within the spinning-dots-circle?  (Whoops, I just noticed as I nav'ed around during sync that a percentage indicater appeared.  Don't know whether that's a bug or an issue with my laptop

You can always run both version of Evernote

Apparently both the WSA and the W7 app use separate databases?  

thanks for your work!

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Like mkechris, I cannot get evernote to install on my Windows 8 64bit laptop.  I have downloaded Evernote_4.6.4.8136.exe.  If I run it by double-clicking, it appears in the Task Manager under Background Processes, and if I run as an administrator, I receive the message confirming that I want to run, but after a moment, and my cursor becomes the revolving circle, but after a moment it goes away, and the process does not appear in Task Manager.  I am trying to install the desktop version, because I do not have a touch screen.  What can I do?

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue. Windows 8, 64-bit, when I try to install the latest desktop version I get an error that says the version won't run on my machine - and the installation stops there. 

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Has there been a resolution to this issue? I'm having a similar problem. Running Windows 8.1 64-bit. I can download the install file and run it, but as soon as I click "Yes" to allow the program to make changes to my computer, a DOS command window flashes briefly on the screen and the installation stops. There is no error message, no pop-up window, nothing.

My temp directory does not have an EvernoteSetupMSI.log. It does have EvernoteSetup.log. The only suspicious entry in the log file is

[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Launching Evernote.
[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Unable to get app path for Evernote.exe
[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Installation completed.

However, the installation did not complete successfully in spite of what the log file says, since searching the C: drive for Evernote.exe returns no matches other than Evernote_5.2.1.3108 in the Downloads folder. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 2 weeks later...

Bon voyage, ladies and gentlemen; I'm jumping ship. I've wasted a lot of time, and in the purchase of a couple of guides a little money, trying to get this thing (Evernote_5.2.1.3108 exe) to work on a brand new state-of the art laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit. 

I readily confess to limitations in technical expertise, but I did not engage in this experiment for the purpose of self-improvement in that area. Rather, I sought to organise my filing systems and time more effectively. I persevered to the extent that I've reached this site, only to encounter experts who are as dumbfounded as I am.

Evernote has conspicuously failed its promises here. As usual, so-called software 'engineers' are prematurely launching an untested product, reliant on the goodwill of punters to expose and fix the problems that they have failed to address. Sadly, the disease is widespread.

Best of luck!

Hi,

Has there been a resolution to this issue? I'm having a similar problem. Running Windows 8.1 64-bit. I can download the install file and run it, but as soon as I click "Yes" to allow the program to make changes to my computer, a DOS command window flashes briefly on the screen and the installation stops. There is no error message, no pop-up window, nothing.

My temp directory does not have an EvernoteSetupMSI.log. It does have EvernoteSetup.log. The only suspicious entry in the log file is

[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Launching Evernote.
[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Unable to get app path for Evernote.exe
[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Installation completed.

However, the installation did not complete successfully in spite of what the log file says, since searching the C: drive for Evernote.exe returns no matches other than Evernote_5.2.1.3108 in the Downloads folder. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you get any errors during installation? This looks like somehow the installtion process was terminated partway through or it never really got started

Archived