(Archived) More keyboard control requested

brettswift

Idea

Evernote is partially geared to let me move between tasks quickly and organize my life. If I have to mess around with a mouse moving around the screen, it's slow.

Take a look at Sublime Text 2 for example, everything can be done on the keyboard.

For example this is my workflow:

1. my inbox is where I put all my new notes.
  2. I will come in later and organize them

1. Tag notes
    2. Move to another notebook

if I have 10 notes, that's 10 trips to the menu to move to another notebook, instead of just CMD-M or something that would pop up a list of notebooks that I could filter through using intellisense, and just hit enter when i've got the notebook I want.
      I know the easier solution would be to go to the notes in the list, select multiple and drag them over, but this doesn't work when i want to only be looking at one note at a time. Doing it the drag and drop way I have to context switch from "one note" to "all notes", which isn't as efficient.
      Just a thought.. shouldn't be hard to implement.

10 replies to this idea

Evernote is partially geared to let me move between tasks quickly and organize my life. If I have to mess around with a mouse moving around the screen, it's slow.

Take a look at Sublime Text 2 for example, everything can be done on the keyboard.

For example this is my workflow:

1. my inbox is where I put all my new notes.
  2. I will come in later and organize them

1. Tag notes
    2. Move to another notebook

if I have 10 notes, that's 10 trips to the menu to move to another notebook, instead of just CMD-M or something that would pop up a list of notebooks that I could filter through using intellisense, and just hit enter when i've got the notebook I want.
      I know the easier solution would be to go to the notes in the list, select multiple and drag them over, but this doesn't work when i want to only be looking at one note at a time. Doing it the drag and drop way I have to context switch from "one note" to "all notes", which isn't as efficient.
      Just a thought.. shouldn't be hard to implement.

Hey Brett,
      As Jack pointed out, it sounds like Evernote 5 for Mac is adding a lot more control via keyboard. I'm definitely looking forward to this:
Keyboard shortcuts

We’ve added lots of timesaving new keyboard shortcuts, such as:
  • CMD-J: Jump to a notebook from anywhere in the application
  • CMD-Shift-A: Jump to All Notes
  • CMD-Option-(1-5): Switch to main sidebar sections (Notes, Notebooks, etc)
  • CMD-(1-9): Jump to Shortcuts
  • CMD-L: Edit current note title
  • CMD-’: Edit current note tags
  • CMD-]: Indent text

If you can edit the tags, there must be a new way to change the notebook as well. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

@Jackolicious Yay! Hope mine (Add table row above and below, and delete table row) are in there. :-) Seriously, am a big fan of keyboard shortcuts for productivity.

workaround that I use is to save a note as a template with a lot of rows then you can copy and paste as necessary

I love evernote and could not live without it. However, if I had to identify my biggest gripe with the interface is the lack of keyboard control. The improvements made in Evernote 5 were definitely a step in the right direction. However, I still dont believe there is keyboard shortcut that lets you transitions between panes. For e.g. In the top list view, it would be great if you could press TAB (or any other shortcut though TAB would seem the most intuitive) and jump straight down to the note for editing. The ability to tab down through the note attributes (i.e. Tags, Title, Body) and Shift+TAB to work back would be great and allow users to quickly edit and organise notes without having to pick up the mouse/trackpad every time. 

I think the Windows version has this capability. 

Archived