no automatic sync

nevermaker

Idea

My Evernote for Mac will not sync my new notes automatically, even though I have it set to "automatically sync every 15 minutes". If I manually initiate sync it completes just fine, but if not, no changes are propagated to the server and new notes I created on the mac don't appear on the phone or web client.

Does anyone else know of this problem or what I can do to provide more information?

35 replies to this idea

I still have this problem on 5.0.4 - setting automatic sync does not work on the mac client after several days of being open on my desktop, premium account holder, latest mac OS.

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forums. This suggestion might not do a thing to help your current problem, but overall, I would say that it is better to have the direct download rather than the appstore version of Evernote. Here are instructions for getting it (assuming you already don't have it).

http://discussion.ev...-x/#entry173494

Thanks! That worked!
  • Level 5

Is this the process that causes your Evernote to stop syncing?

1. Turn on computer and Evernote

2. Leave computer for some time

3. Computer goes to sleep for some time

4. Computer wakes up

5. Evernote won't sync

Yes.  It appears this manifests itself after either (a) long sleep times or (B) long uptime by the Mac (with Evernote running).  The only thing needed is to restart Evernote, but it sucks when you are mobile and realize the sync has stopped right when you NEED critical material on your iPhone or iPad.

Today I discovered I'm having this problem too. Lost a lot of data, not happy (kernel panic). Mail checks just fine, yes my mac was asleep previously. V5.07, can't remember if it's from the app store or direct, I've had both. I can't believe I lost all that work…

• Level 5*

I still have this problem on 5.0.4 - setting automatic sync does not work on the mac client after several days of being open on my desktop, premium account holder, latest mac OS.

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forums. This suggestion might not do a thing to help your current problem, but overall, I would say that it is better to have the direct download rather than the appstore version of Evernote. Here are instructions for getting it (assuming you already don't have it).

• Level 5

If anyone experiences this problem, please private message me your Activity Log files (Help -> Activity Logs). Basically, when you wake your computer from sleep, if it's not syncing, take a log snapshot then.

I've experienced this problem off and on for several weeks now. After reading this thread I'm assuming it's related to the fact that I put my MacBook Pro to sleep a lot with Evernote running, and then at some point it stops syncing after waking it up. A few minutes ago I was in a state where it wasn't syncing automatically, so I restarted Evernote and that fixed the issue. I also then put my machine to sleep and woke it back up and it went back to syncing correctly, so I'm not sure exactly under what circumstances this bug starts occurring. If it happens again I'll PM you my Activity Logs Jackolicious.

isn't there a way to bring back the sync on change feature -- it was in the older versions.... basically it used to sync as soon as a note was created or changed... so many times i update a note - run out of the house - and then discover that i've put my mac to sleep b4 i hit sync (and it hadn't reached the minimum 5 min either)... very frustrating - as then my phone has the old version of the note and i've lost all the updates i just put in.. 

Has anything been done to correct this problem? I run Evernote on a mac. Set to sync every 5 mins. Always running and Im almost always connceted yet it never syncs unless i do it manually. Checked today and the notes on my phone are about 2 weeks old... it fixes if i manually sync from the mac but id ont remember to do that very often.  

This to me is a fairly ludicroous bug to be allowed to remain for years and years... It seems to me evernote should divert a bit of effort from adding shiny new features and make sure that the core functionality like syncing across devices actually works. Clearly this has been reported by tons of people. quite frustrating.  Well add me to the list as yet another users for whom this doesnt work. Does it work for anybody on Mac???

My Evernote for Mac will not sync my new notes automatically, even though I have it set to "automatically sync every 15 minutes". If I manually initiate sync it completes just fine, but if not, no changes are propagated to the server and new notes I created on the mac don't appear on the phone or web client.

Does anyone else know of this problem or what I can do to provide more information?

If you're using the web client to confirm the notes are not being sent to the EN servers, then it sounds like you've got your notes in a local/non-sync'd notebook. On the Windows client, the icon to the left of the notebook name in the left pane is grey for local notebooks & green for sync'd ones. IDK if the Mac client is similar.

If this is the case, you'll need to create a new sync'd notebook & move the notes to it b/c the type of notebook cannot be changed.

This is happening to me as well. Last several major versions -- was just hoping it was going to magically fix itself. I am currently on Version 5.0.0 (400539) on OSX 10.7.5 and it is still happening. I have thousands of notes across many notebooks (all remote/not local). If I manually hit the sync button, I'll get the updates, but the updates are never fetched automatically.

The result is that I end up with conflicts b/c I forget to manually sync before editing notes when moving between laptops. Tonight's conflict is going to set me back as edits where all over the place! :-/

-Erik

+1 to this. Mac OS 10.8.2, MBPro Retina 13", latest Mac App Store version of Evernote as of today - 5.0.0 (400524). Is set to auto sync every 5 minutes, and doesn't do it.

Only happens on my MBPro. My Mac Mini at work (same app and OS versions), is set to autosync every 5 minutes, as well, and it works fine. iOS versions (iPhone 4 and Retina iPad [original version]) work fine, too.

Please fix. This is really critical.

Hi,

December 2012, still have this issue. This is a pretty major issue. I'm surprised its not fixed yet. I've been hit by this several times.

MacBook Air 2012. osx 10.8.2.

Latest evernote.

Tried 15 minute and 5 minute sync settings.

Nonetheless it never autosyncs. Not once. Have to hit the sync button every time (or use the shortcut).

I'm about ready to write my own applescript solution.

I'm having the same problem: Evernote 5.0.0, OS X 10.8.2.

I notice in my Activity Log that every time I see the following line, the automatic sync stops happening for a while... sometimes for a day, sometimes for 10 days or more...

2012-11-05 20:44:33 main [ENSyncEngine] WARN: Sync started without auth token.

It would be really nice if this could be fixed...

Archived