(Archived) Printing to 3x5 index cards

floid

Idea

Interesting - I've been collecting bible verses in Evernote for some time. I decided to start printing them out on 3x5 cards to help me memorize them. I'm trying to print to this format, but I cannot get it to work with Evernote. There is no "scale to page size" option like there is in most applications. There is a scale option...I've tried everything from 50% to 100%. The text is either itty bitty tiny or runs off the cards. Can't seem to get it right. I have an option on my HP photosmart printer options to scale down to page size. This too just looks like a microfiche of a full page print.

Anyone else try this and figure it out. Seems like it should be so simple! Maybe I should install a Windows virtual machine to see if Evernote works better on that platform?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Interesting - I've been collecting bible verses in Evernote for some time. I decided to start printing them out on 3x5 cards to help me memorize them. I'm trying to print to this format, but I cannot get it to work with Evernote. There is no "scale to page size" option like there is in most applications. There is a scale option...I've tried everything from 50% to 100%. The text is either itty bitty tiny or runs off the cards. Can't seem to get it right. I have an option on my HP photosmart printer options to scale down to page size. This too just looks like a microfiche of a full page print.

Anyone else try this and figure it out. Seems like it should be so simple! Maybe I should install a Windows virtual machine to see if Evernote works better on that platform?

Hi. Interesting idea going from Evernote to an Index Card!

Have you considered something digital? Evernote Peek would seem to be a perfect solution, because you already have everything in Evernote. Alas! There is no iPhone / iPod Touch / Android version (I've suggested it, but I get the feeling that Evernote Peek is not being actively developed at the moment). But, if you have an iPad, you are good to go.

On the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch there are great flashcard apps. I like gFlash myself, and it syncs wonderfully with Google Docs. Basically, all you do is create a two column spreadsheet in Google, with the query on the left and the answer on the right. All done!

If you are wanting to go old school, though (not in a bad way -- I have boxes of index cards on my desk in front of me that still haven't been digitized), I'd recommend exporting the notes as HTML and then trying to print that way. You might figure out a better way to adjust the sizing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm paperless/digital with most things. But its hard to tape an iPad to my monitor @ work. Even if I use duct tape, it looks a little awkward. :). The reminder keeps it top-of-mind during the flurry of the day. I may fire up the Windows version to see if that works.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply. I'm paperless/digital with most things. But its hard to tape an iPad to my monitor @ work. Even if I use duct tape, it looks a little awkward. :). The reminder keeps it top-of-mind during the flurry of the day. I may fire up the Windows version to see if that works.

Why tape it to the monitor? Prop it up somewhere, or get a bookstand (I recommend BookGem). If you aren't wedded to the index cards, I'd definitely go digital, because then you have the cards with you when you stand in line, watch tv at home, walk the dog, etc.

If you feel the need to use 3x5 cards, it's probably easier to copy the verses to something designed for formatting such as a word processing or desktop publishing app. IME (I'm Windows), printing is not one of EN's strong suits. But for me, it's NBD, because I rarely print, since I'm mostly paperless.

Archived