(Archived) EN Fatal Error on Startup

Tony Silvia

• Level 5*

Check to make sure that your browser is not halting display of the page. If I go to the support area of Evernote, Chrome sees it as containing insecure content, so I need to click on a button to make it display.

The insecure content thing is when there is mixed http and https content on a page.

Looking at the source, the logo is not called using https, and there are some javascript/css items that are not either (not sure if they need to be or not though)

Hopefully EN will change that to make it work better.

• 1 month later...

Tony, I experienced the same problem a week ago (and have been making do with EN 3.1, which is working fine, thankfully).

Did you get a solution from EN? (I submitted a ticket to EN, but haven't gotten an answer to the problem yet).

I am having the same problem. I installed an update, it worked for a couple hours then I tried to paste something into the search box and got this message. Now I get the msg everytime I have tried to open the program. Uninstalling & reinstalling does nothing.

This is on my work computer with windows xp. I am a mac person so please be very detailed in any advice you have. I am not the administrator either.

Can someone explain this unsecured url thing? My EN support page is unsecure but I cannot see how you change that on Chrome.

Thank you and I apologize for my PC ignorance, but I have to say obscure error codes like these don't make me like them anymore.

This worked for me (as found on another forum topic):

All fixed, I downloaded Revo uninstaller and completely uninstalled Evernote and done a clean install of the latest beta release as instructed by Evernote support and all OK. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

I ran into an identical issue this afternoon -- except I couldn't keep EN open -- would get part of the error message (did send off to help) but in essence, I was dead in the water. I couldn't find anything in the KB to clue me in. Since the page I'd copy/pasted was in a new Notebook that only contained one other item, I knew I wanted to delete that Notebook. So, I went to the Web interface -- removed the Notebook, and it showed as being gone via my Sony Tablet -- but since EN kept failing, no joy in mudville. Grumble mumble . . .what to do. I reinstalled EN -- no joy. I finally found the DB file. Renamed it. Then, it gave me an "empty" EN with no notebooks. Started the sync with the Web copy. WHew! All is once again well in Mudville. The birds are singing and I'm not grumbling.

I ran into an identical issue this afternoon -- except I couldn't keep EN open -- would get part of the error message (did send off to help) but in essence, I was dead in the water. I couldn't find anything in the KB to clue me in. Since the page I'd copy/pasted was in a new Notebook that only contained one other item, I knew I wanted to delete that Notebook. So, I went to the Web interface -- removed the Notebook, and it showed as being gone via my Sony Tablet -- but since EN kept failing, no joy in mudville. Grumble mumble . . .what to do. I reinstalled EN -- no joy. I finally found the DB file. Renamed it. Then, it gave me an "empty" EN with no notebooks. Started the sync with the Web copy. WHew! All is once again well in Mudville. The birds are singing and I'm not grumbling.

I am having the exact same problem. Pardon my ignorance, but what DB file did you find and rename? I'd love to find a way to resolve this issue since I rely heaving on Evernote! Thanks!

Jody -- I'm running Vista; so, where I found the file might vary from wherever your version(s) is set up -- but here is a step-by-step that I used for the process:

First -- on the EN website app -- I deleted the affected file -- in this case a Notebook that only contained two entries. If it had been bigger, I might have handled it differently.

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Opened "Geraldine" -- my profile

3) Opened AppData

4) Opened Evernote

5) Opened Databases

6) Found the gbolter.exb file and renamed it gbolter.exb1

At this point when I attempted to open EN -- it stayed open, but zero data

Then, I clicked on the SYNC button in EN . . .and the process started moving everything that showed on the EN website app.

Good Luck :)

Archived