Event noted?

Anki

Hi,

I just started using Evernote as a GTD-tool and I am, as many others, missing the ability to get EN notes straight into my calendar as events, and to have automatic links to EN notes in calendar events.

By googling I found the "Event noted" app, that seems to help with these issues and also participated in the Evernote devcup.

It seems to add all the functions I've been missing in EN; I just add the "event" tag and a date/time in my EN notes and it immediately turns into an event in my iPhone/Google calendar, with a link to the EN note.

My only concern is, why is it not featured on the EN website in any way and why are people not making more of a fuss about it?

Are there any known security issues or other problems that I don´t know about, or is it just too new and "unfinished"?

Does anyone know?

/ Anki

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums. Thanks for the headsup about Event Noted - I hadn't -er- noted that they exist up to now. Have signed up, but the current deal-breaker for me is that they run a dd/mm/yy date sequence, and while they understand 'next Friday' they can't handle 30/12 as a real date. I like the 'event' tag though..

I use Meshin Calendar to link with Evernote, Google Cal and (through the Google app) Outlook on my Windows desktop, and I can set up an event in any of those calendar applications that will then ripple across them all. I can also link to an Note, but can't create an event from one. Now I'm looking for a way to list tasks.

There are no considerations of which I'm currently aware to using any of these apps - hopefully someone from Event Noted will take an active interest in this forum and we can all share comments on its use. I'll try it for a while and see whether there are any attractions for me...

• 4 weeks later...

@gazumped -

I've just started experimenting with Event Noted.

Like you say it doesn't cater for UK format dates, i.e. 3/11 which to me = 3rd November is treated by Event Noted as March 3rd - and it sticks the event into my Google calendar on March 11th 2012. (Not even thinking it should be a forthcoming date of March 11th 2013...)

That's not too much of a problem for me as I title my Evernote notes with a date in the format YYYY-MM-DD when I know when they are relevant, so I can see them in date order in Evernote List view, giving me a "diary/agenda" list within Evernote. And Ever Noted seems to work with these just fine.

However if you want to get these Evernote/EventNoted notes/events into you Outlook Calendar, things aren't too clevcer. Event Noted sets up its own Eventnoted. calendar within your Google Calendar to place the Evernote events. It then suggests using Google Calendar Sync to sync your Google Calendar with yor Outlook calendar. BUT - Google Calendar Sync only works with your primary Google calendar, and the EN events are in the Eventboted. calendar... 88sigh!888 so close, but not close enough

In truth what I would really like as a solution from someone is to be able to

update my Evernote Notes with a due date in the title

then create an Outlook Task on the relevant day

that then gives me the flexibility to schedule the task (ex-EN note) where I want and to tick it off in Outlook when complete

My philosophy is that I might know which day I'm going to action this Task but it might not be until the day before that I;m ready to schedule a time for it.

And when it's scheduled in Outlook, I run Google Calendar Sync to sync my Outlook Calendar with my primary Google Calendar and can use Meshin Calendar app to see my agenda

- and if only the EN link from the original Task could be included in the Outlook Task and Event, life would be wonderful

Just a few rambling thoughts, hoping one day we'll have an all-singing, all-dancing way of integrating Evernote notes and Calendar apps

• Level 5*

@AdmiralP - agreed; I've been playing with Meshin, Google Calendar and Outlook plus Evernote and Event Noted to try and find the best way to structure a smooth calendar<>Evernote (anycalendar<>Evernote!) link. Event Noted is a nice idea but has popped a number of wrong dates in more than one extra calendar, so is now banned from my accounts. GCal and Outllook will link nicely using the Google app.

The best workflow I've found is to book my appointments in Outlook using my standard Evernote meeting header - date / time / venue / subject. That informs both Outlook and Google of the date. I can also copy that note into Evernote using the Outlook clipper, and I'm changing the created date of the note to the meeting date, so it shows in the correct order when I list my 'meetings' notes. They're in a separate notebook so I can limit the amount of information available for offline searches on my Android phone.

I'm also keeping a paper diary because I know something is going to go wrong somewhere soon!

Here's hoping Evernote or one of the independent developers can help us with what should be a relatively simple task - keeping the diary straight!

Deer Santa...

@gazumped - thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we're both trying to work along simuilar lines.

I shall "play" a bit more with Event Noted, but I think you're right - it's not quite the solution.

I like the idea of using the Outlook EN Clipper to put meetings/appointments into EN - I hadn't thought of doing that; thanks for the tip!

I can see that when you initiate the clip, EN gives you the facility to amend the title, tag the note and specify which Notebook it should go into - that;s good.

Now, as I said before, if only there was a utility which allowed you to create an Outlook Task from one of your EN notes, giving the Outlook Task a start date so that it appears in your Outlook To Do list on the right day; you can then slot it into your calendar for that day at the time you anticipate dealing with the task. And when the task is complete you can check it off in the Outlook To Do list (v satisfying!)

So I'm +1 with you to Santa to get one of his elven-developers to produce a solution...

• Level 5*

Hmmn - and just one thing more:

Deer Developer Elves:

Pleeze can we have an option to change the creation date in the dialogue that pops up in Windows after an item is clipped from Outlook.

I can change the subject, I can change the assigned notebook - both of which are important so I can see this note as a meeting in my List View. But I can't change the created date in that dialogue - I have to wait till the note appears in Evernote, then change the date there.

If I could change all three items in the same box it would streamline my workflow wonderfully.

I promise to be a reely, reely good user for a whole. whole year after - and I won't mention Due Dates ever, ever again. Honest.

:P

• 10 months later...

My only concern is, why is it not featured on the EN website in any way and why are people not making more of a fuss about it?

I think because Evernote was never intended to be a "task managment" system to organize tasks and integrate with calendars, etc. Many of us it for that (me included), which speaks to the power of the flexibility of Evernote. But, in the end, its primary function is to retain data, make it easy to organize and retrieve, and make it avaiable over many platforms. 

People are not crying out for functionality beyond that because it would like asking MS Powerpoint to send e-mail.....it was never meant to.

B

I think because Evernote was never intended to be a "task managment" system to organize tasks and integrate with calendars, etc. Many of us it for that (me included), which speaks to the power of the flexibility of Evernote. But, in the end, its primary function is to retain data, make it easy to organize and retrieve, and make it avaiable over many platforms. 

People are not crying out for functionality beyond that because it would like asking MS Powerpoint to send e-mail.....it was never meant to.

B

Evernote is branching out in so many productivity areas, I would think integrating the software with task management / calendar functionality would be essential.

It would be nice if Google Calendar allowed us to email calendar items to it. The email to Evernote feature is one I am really starting to appreciate.

I did find this tool called EventBot that says it allows you to send an email to an EventBot email address which will then add the item to your Google Calendar. So you could use the Share/Email option on your Evernote note to send to the EventBot email address and get it into Google Calendar that way.

http://www.myeventbot.com/

I haven't tried it and don't know anything about company but the idea looks interesting.

It would be nice if Google Calendar allowed us to email calendar items to it. The email to Evernote feature is one I am really starting to appreciate.

I did find this tool called EventBot that says it allows you to send an email to an EventBot email address which will then add the item to your Google Calendar. So you could use the Share/Email option on your Evernote note to send to the EventBot email address and get it into Google Calendar that way.

http://www.myeventbot.com/

I haven't tried it and don't know anything about company but the idea looks interesting.

Thanks ... I am going to try Event Noted for a while and report back ... may then try EventBot

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It appears that Evented Noted is no longer supported.  Does anyone have information regarding this? What is a good substitute? I just want to get items in Evernote easily exported into iCal or Reminders.  The reminders within the latest release of Evernote is a step in the right direction, but I'm still surprised that there's not more integration with the system apps on the Mac.

Gene

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to get Event Noted working on iPhone/ ipad/ Mac.

You have to persevere with username and password but eventually it does connect and set up the appropriate calendar.

Just add the Event tag and it places the Evernote note into iCal after stripping out the date and time I fo.

A neat little add-on. I am surprised that it is not being supported.

Maybe Evernote can take it on!

I tried Event Noted many moons ago when I was intent on making Evernote my dedicated to-do app as well. The thing I found is that though it works well, it was a hassle to manage a calendar and Evernote to mirror the exact same tasks. I mean, why not just pop events directly into a calendar if one is consulting it every day anyways? There are rare cases where a note has pertinent information (coupons, invitations, etc.) where I set a reminder for a specific date... which then alerts me in Evernote when needed... and the event itself is blocked out in my calendar.

The other thing is that according to Ted Allen (GTD), the calendar is sacred and mostly things set in stone should be plotted there - on a time-specific tool. I find for all tasks that one intends to accomplish on a certain day, but is not able to commit to a specific time just yet, there are better tools. I set up what I like to call a "Kanban Calendar" for that purpose, which would basically have a space for each foreseeable day within at least the next 30 days to plot tasks (whether once-off or recurring) that are not time-specific, but rather date-specific. Besides, that's really the whole idea behind the GTD Tickler File. I long since gave up trying to plot most of my tasks on a calendar - even most date-specific ones. That way one has to do less shuffling around in one's calendar closer to the time. Time-specific, scheduled events are a different story... but, once again, if there is no extra information/ document contained within a note, I don't see the point in having it in Evernote as well as a calendar. There are tons of other ways to set up a full task-management solution within Evernote itself without resorting to Calendar linking in general.

I found I was creating extra work for myself getting multiple apps to mirror the exact same information in most cases.

Anyways, the Sunrise app which Evernote showcases in their app center, and which they highly praise, does a pretty spectacular job with your reminders that are date and time specific. Actually, by spectacular, I just mean a seamless syncing and displaying in traditional calendar format, which is what one would expect.

Thanks for the updates!

I agree about using the calendar, I really don't.  There are just certain times that I want blocked out so others can see my availabilty.

I've still not had any luck with Event Noted.  It is sad they aren't supporting it, which seems to be the case with a number of apps these days.  It really does seem like the perfect app for what I need. On the other hand, I don't like dealing with apps that don't work or are not reliable in anyway.  My time is too precious to do someone elses job, so I try to commit to things I can count on.

Thanks again!

Gene

Have you actually accessed Sunrise Calendar app and tinkered with it? Have you taken a look at the app in Evernote's App center? As far as getting it up and running, it's among one of the easiest apps that exist to interface.

Archived