(Archived) Any Delicious users out there?

roschler

A show of hands if you don't mind. If you are a Delicious user and an Evernote Windows user please chime in. If you're really motivated, please answer the following two questions:

1. Do you have any strategies for integrating your Delicious and Evernote usage? If so, what?

2. Would you like to see an integration between the two services?

For those of you out there who are curious, Delicious is a social bookmarking site, some would say the original one, that is still huge although not as much in the limelight as it used to be.

Drive-by question. Did they get rid of polls from this forum or am I simply going blind?

-- roschler

Yeah, I use delicious and would like to see it integrated in Evernote. I would like to automatically evernote-webclip the pages i bookmark in delicious! (If Evernote were Open-Source or at least open to 3rd party add-ons, i'm sure someone would already have written and add-on for this!)

Yeah, I use delicious and would like to see it integrated in Evernote. I would like to automatically evernote-webclip the pages i bookmark in delicious! (If Evernote were Open-Source or at least open to 3rd party add-ons, i'm sure someone would already have written and add-on for this!)

In this case I believe you're indicating you would like to see the Web Clipper open source or support plug-ins, not the Evernote client.? Also, are you an Evernote Windows user?

What if it worked in the other direction? That is, every time you clipped a page using the Evernote web clipper, a bookmark was added to Delicious with the same Tags and Comment? That would be a much easier task to pull off.

-- roschler

I don't think are too many delicious users left.

I tried Googling "Delicious is dead" and came up with a lot of results.

Hi jbenson2. I think Delcious is a "grand old legacy" site. Alexa stats can be off the mark sometimes, but they do show Delicious still at a healthy top 1000 site rank with over a million sites linking in:

http://www.alexa.com/search?q=delicious.com&r=home_home&p=bigtop

But that could be old links driving that. My reason for asking is that I'm considering augmenting TagHunter with a module that would recommend new sites based on your Tag store as a fun way to explore the web. It would use Delicious as a source of sites to recommend via an Evernote/Delicious Tag comparison. I'm wondering if something like this would interest anyone besides myself. I find that I am frequently stuck in a rut (closed feedback loop) of visiting the same old sites so I'm looking to create tools that find new material that would be of interest to me. I am a StumbleUpon member but I think that something that has the additional benefit of being heavily guided by my Evernote Tags could be intriguing.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

That could be an excellent idea! Especially if you are looking for possible niches in your area of interest. It might be most helpful if you could do it from the list view where you can select a group of tags to search the Internet on?

Hi @factman,

Are you saying you'd like me to add a feature that launches your favorite search engine with the tags you select in List View, just like it launches Evernote? That would be very simple to implement. Let me know.

The idea I was pursuing was more of a recommendation engine, like the way NetFlix recommends videos to you. The difference being that the software would periodically generate a list of new web sites for you to explore based on your tag set, instead of recommending videos (although I am toying around with an idea like that for recommending YouTube videos). It would use your tags to query Delicious and xref your tags against the tags others used to tag web links they bookmarked with Delicious. I find that I am very lazy when exploring new content on the web. By time the day ends I'm tired and instead of really exploring new sites in an energetic way, I usually chase a handful of old topics like a curmudgeon who keeps ordering the same meal at a restaurant because he's afraid that something new won't taste as good. If a program could do the curating and filtering work of finding extended topics that I am interested in by inspecting my Evernote tags, that would take most of the effort out of finding new web sites while concomitantly raising the probability I'll enjoy what the new offering. Pre-emptive comment: yes I know about StumbleUpon and I have an account. It's just not the same thing, at least from not my experience as a user.

Wow, after those analogies I'm really fighting the tendency to make several bad puns about Delicious and cuisine. I think I'll stop typing now, especially since I'm considering doing something for Evernote food along these lines too. :lol:

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Hi Roschler,

That is exactly what I was thinking - you have done what I was thinking with the latest round of updates, as shown in your other thread. I am also very lazy about checking for different web sites when looking for ideas for niches, etc, or topics for blog posts. I guess once we have got the basics of the search into our search engine (you only have Google at present), then we can refine to our harts content! For example, we might want to take our initial string, then exclude certain terms ....

Now I need to go eat lunch ... given your comment about Delicious and cuisine!

Hi Roschler,

That is exactly what I was thinking - you have done what I was thinking with the latest round of updates, as shown in your other thread. I am also very lazy about checking for different web sites when looking for ideas for niches, etc, or topics for blog posts. I guess once we have got the basics of the search into our search engine (you only have Google at present), then we can refine to our harts content! For example, we might want to take our initial string, then exclude certain terms ....

Now I need to go eat lunch ... given your comment about Delicious and cuisine!

That was a neat feature request FactMan. It's a natural extension to TagHunter because it completes the other end of the journey. We spend a lot of time using Tags to let us know how to find our Existing notes. Now we can use TagHunter to find new sites at the click of a button similar to the ones we already like and then clip those into Evernote too. It's kind of a nice Circle of Digital Life without the Lion King theme song. :lol:

re: Delicious and cuisine

Studies have shown that TagHunter is completely non-fattening.

-- roschler

• 8 months later...

Delicious is simple and is an example of 'Do one thing and do it well'. I have sought out alternatives from time to time over the years (Especially when Yahoo dropped the project in 2010), but I keep coming back to Delicious.

I integrate Delicious.com with my Evernote notes using the following recipe from IFTTT.com (If-This-Then-That). I was trying to figure out if I should choose Delicious or Evernote for bookmarks & web clipping, but then I realized that I could simply use both.

"If a bookmark is added to Delicious then create a note in Evernote": https://ifttt.com/recipes/98973

This handles any new links created from here into the future, but I haven't yet figured out out how to import all of my legacy bookmarks into Evernote Ntes.

Archived