Taking a picture in Moleskine doesn't do anything

Hi - I just received my Moleskine Smartnotebook - but taking a picture through the iphone app results in exactly the same note as using any other paper. Also, no recognition of the smart stickers. Is this because the iPhone app doesn't support the new Moleskine thing yet? If so, when will this be updated?

Moved thread to more appropriate tag and spot for discussion. There are a couple things that could be causing problems here. If you don't have the Page Camera turned on, your phone won't take a Moleskine enhanced image. Also, if the lighting is off by a large amount or you've used flash (it'll blow out the image) then it's likely Page Camera won't pick up the stickers. Ensure also that you're taking a picture of a single page--using the green page marker along the inside helps the camera denote a single page and produce a cleaner image.

We have a getting started guide up on how to use the Moleskine integration, so you may try ensuring you're running through those steps as well: http://evernote.com/getting_started/moleskine/#5

I actually created a similar post because I did not see this one. I have followed the directions in the post above (turned on page camera and everything). One item it says to do though is turn on the flash, iPads do not have a flash so I can not do that.

I am in a well-lit room with no shadows and have tried various stickers but it does not recognize them. For a $15 premium vs. a regular Moleskine, this is not acceptable.

I'm also having a very difficult time with my Moleskine. I am using the Page camera and following all instructions (except flash, which my iPad doesn't have), but Evernote isn't recognizing the smart stickers, and the image is not being corrected for skew.

A day?! That's not very valuable to me. 10 minutes might be acceptable. I'm in 5-7 meetings during one day, and I write stuff down so I don't have to remember it. Waiting that long essentially negates the value.

Edit: why wouldn't they let users know its processing and let them know when it's done. Poor design...

A day?! That's not very valuable to me. 10 minutes might be acceptable. I'm in 5-7 meetings during one day, and I write stuff down so I don't have to remember it. Waiting that long essentially negates the value.

Edit: why wouldn't they let users know its processing and let them know when it's done. Poor design...

Are you a premium member? I read a post a bit ago where EN gives Premium Subscribers priority in OCR. (Top of the stack)

Updating thread to include some additional troubleshooting options:

I had all kinds of problems for days with both the scanning itself (so the pictures automatically were cut and fixed) and the smart tags. But, after some help from Evernote Support as well as own trial and error I now get it to work. Three things I have noted are important which are not in the general instructions:

* Do not use flash on, use flash auto instead.

* Be sure to have the paper cut within the square, in other words let the background outside the page be visible.

* Be sure to tap the screen for auto-focus.

And of course important as stated; use the green bookmark string and be sure to use the page camera square function

Then it actually works!

Hope this helps you too.

How do you focus once you have page camera on? My iPhone 5 will focus before it is on but not after.

I can't get hold of the proper note book - there are no suppliers in NZ and the next nearest is in Australia and they have sold out until December! So I have tried using one of my existing Moleskine notebooks and have to say it works better with Page Camera off than on!

How do you focus once you have page camera on? My iPhone 5 will focus before it is on but not after.

I can't get hold of the proper note book - there are no suppliers in NZ and the next nearest is in Australia and they have sold out until December! So I have tried using one of my existing Moleskine notebooks and have to say it works better with Page Camera off than on!

Is the camera refusing to focus entirely when you have page camera on?

...and yeah, we're getting reports of sellouts in a number of places--I know there's a pretty intense effort to ensure availability in most markets.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problem as Kiwimarc. When page camera is on, my iPhone 5 refuses to focus altogether. Tapping doesn't do anything, neither does moving the phone close/far to get the auto focus to kick in. If I turn page camera off, it tap-focuses and auto-focuses just fine.

So at the moment page camera is useless unless I toggle back and forth to the normal snapshot mode. :(

• 6 months later...

I am having problems too - HTC Desire X (a 5MP camera with flash).

The images seem pretty good but there is no flattening or straightening of the image.

I've only just bought the Moleskine and have tried capturing the pages numerous times. I have read the guides.

I may go back to CamScanner, I was getting better results with CamScanner and cheap notebooks. 

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased an Evernote Moleskine notebook and I am happy with it. The document camera used with my iphone 5 works fine and the notebooks and tags I have customized with the stickers to expedite filing.

My one issue with the design is that I cannot select the text in the images to copy and paste elsewhere. If the OCR works to search, cannot it not be manipulated so that I can select text within the (picture) note to update or copy elsewhere?

I use my notebook at work where I take considerable notes but I cannot have electronic devices. After work I upload images using my iphone 5. When I return to work I attempted to select text in my notes to use elsewhere. Does this capability exist?

On a different but similar topic, can Evernote be used, or will the OCR function eventually recognize checklist items?

Same problem for me as above - the special Moleskin book works no better than a regular one, yet is about £15 more expensive!

Additionally, even after waiting a day, when the OCR works, it only does so from a search on the main screen (in the iOS app), but does not work in the search feature when you have the document open.

Also, I have noticed that the OCR does not work at all for words written entirely in capitals.

So, I search for "hello" and it managed to bring a Moleskine page up. I click on that document and the word "hello" is highlighted in yellow. But when I then tap the search icon and enter hello while still in the document, no results found!

• 10 months later...

Same problem as HappySpaceInvader - OCR search only works from main screen and not when you open a note and search inside it.  Additionally, when you do search from the main page and it shows you the note that has the word you are looking for, it doesn't take you directly to the highlighted word. I have a note with several pages I photographed from inside the app. I have to scroll through all the captured images to find the highlighted section.   Disappointed like the rest of you. :(

Archived