Creating New Notebook Stack

Sameer Thawani

Is there a way to create a new Notebook stack in Evernote? This is probably a basic question, but I just started using Evernote but couldn't seem to find this answer anywhere nor was able to find how to do so within Evernote, and can't really imagine that you cannot create Notebook stacks.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Drag a notebook onto another notebook, and you get a new notebook stack created for you. Evidently it''s not allowed to have an empty stack; you need to create it implicitly.

Jefito, I tried doing the drag and drop thing, that didn't seem to work. I am using shared notebooks, not sure if that makes a difference.

BurgersnFries, when I right click on a notebook, there is no option for "Add to Stack".

Are these premium features or something?

If you're talking notebooks that are shared to you, then that's a whole different animal. I don't share notebooks, so can't help you with that. I do know there are a lot of things you can't do with notes/notebooks shared to you b/c the owner of the notebook has to allow permissions & such. Additionally, the shared/collaboration portion of EN is not as fully advanced as the "personal" Evernote.

So now I tried the same things suggested above with a notebook which isn't shared. So I created 2 local notebooks, tried to drag one into the other, nothing - can't do that. I also tried to right click on the notebook stack and/or notebook to see if I can create a notebook in a new stack, but the option I see is "create notebook in Notebook Stack" - not other creation options.

Am I missing something here?

So now I tried the same things suggested above with a notebook which isn't shared. So I created 2 local notebooks, tried to drag one into the other, nothing - can't do that. I also tried to right click on the notebook stack and/or notebook to see if I can create a notebook in a new stack, but the option I see is "create notebook in Notebook Stack" - not other creation options.

What are you trying to do? Your original question was how to create a new stack. Certainly, in the Windows client, either dragging & dropping or right clicking allows you to do this. However, now you're asking about creating a notebook in a new stack. You cannot create a new notebook in a new (translate: non-existent) stack. You can right click a stack & create a new notebook or you can right click a notebook & create a stack. But you cannot create both a notebook & a stack in the same operation.

Also, stacks contain notebooks. Notebooks cannot contain stacks. There are no sub-stacks or sub-notebooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Sameer,

In case you didn't figure it out yet, I had the same problem and I figured it out.

If a notebook is currently in a stack, you will not get the 'Add to Stack' option when you right-click it. First, remove the notebook from the stack by right-clicking it and selecting 'Remove from Stack'. Once it is removed, right-click it again and you will get the 'Add to Stack' option. When you select it, you will get the option to create a 'New Stack'. Hope this helps.

Brian

• 5 weeks later...

Why can't you allow the userbase to put as many folders in folders in folders as we want? I can't propperly organize my notes through only make one stack of notebooks.

I really want Evernote to be a software that I can find myself using faithfully for many many years to come, but if it won't allow you to organize your notes effectively I don't see how that will be possible. I am positive that this does not just concern me, implementation of this very basic function will undoubtedly make a large portion of the userbase a lot more content with using Evernote.

Hoping for any feedback and/or info regarding this topic, does anyone else feel the same way?

• Level 5*
if it won't allow you to organize your notes effectively

Hi and welcome to the forums. I sympathise with the culture-shock of relying on tags rather than folders, but there has been endless discussion of the relative merits of both here, and it's simply not true that your notes are any less well organised with tags than they are with folders. It's just different. You can rely on Evernote's OCR and search functions to tie things together for you - sometimes with connections you didn't previously appreciate and would never have realised with folder upon folder of sub-filing.

I have a multi-gig database of 11,000+ notes and counting and no great difficulty in finding things, so if you do decide to give Evernote a try you won't be disappointed.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your reply, do you have a good tutorial video that illustrates these two functions? I'll honestly say that I've never relied on tags to organize, and I'm not sure what OCR is at all.

OCR - Optical Character Recognition; essentially the means by which text is recognized from images like photos or scans

Re tags: if you know adjectives, then you know tags. They're just words that describe classes of objects (notes in Evernote's case); equivalent concepts in other software are "labels" (e.g. GMail) and "categories" (e.g. Outlook). Notes can have multiple labels Your task is to figure out what concepts are important *to you*, make tags for them, and apply to your notes.

• 1 year later...

What are you trying to do? Your original question was how to create a new stack. Certainly, in the Windows client, either dragging & dropping or right clicking allows you to do this. However, now you're asking about creating a notebook in a new stack. You cannot create a new notebook in a new (translate: non-existent) stack. You can right click a stack & create a new notebook or you can right click a notebook & create a stack. But you cannot create both a notebook & a stack in the same operation.

Also, stacks contain notebooks. Notebooks cannot contain stacks. There are no sub-stacks or sub-notebooks.

"You can right click a stack & create a new notebook or you can right click a notebook & create a stack"

I do not see the option to "create a stack" when i right click a notebook.

I am pretty new to evernote, but so far it does not seem very user friendly.  if i want to make a stack, i first have to make a folder, then make another folder, combine the two into stack and folder.  it would be nice to be able to "create a stack" from scratch.  

I do not see the option to "create a stack" when i right click a notebook.

I am pretty new to evernote, but so far it does not seem very user friendly. if i want to make a stack, i first have to make a folder, then make another folder, combine the two into stack and folder. it would be nice to be able to "create a stack" from scratch.

Right click notebook, add to stack, new stack.

• Level 5*

I am pretty new to evernote, but so far it does not seem very user friendly.  if i want to make a stack, i first have to make a folder, then make another folder, combine the two into stack and folder.  it would be nice to be able to "create a stack" from scratch.

You'll need to start with at least one notebook (not folder; there are no folders in Evernote -- notebooks are similar to folders in a file system, but that similarity only goes so far).

A stack in Evernote *always* contains at least one notebook; unlike folders in a file system, there no such things as empty stacks in Evernote (that's mainly due to Evernote's internal architecture, but it's more important to remember the general rule). In the Windows client, for any notebook that's not already in a stack, right click on the notebook in the notebook list, click on "Add to stack", and then "New stack". A new stack will be created (you'll probably want to rename it).

In actual practice, you may not need to create stacks all that often; they're easy enough to create once you get the hang of the couple of methods available, though.

• Level 5*

ok, found another thing that i may be doing wrong, but is quite irritating.  i want to add a notebook to an existing stack.  do i have to add a general notebook first, then move it to an existing stack?  i would like to be able to right click on an existing stack, and then add a notebook below.

If you have an existing stack, you should be able to right click on it (or any notebook in that stack), and select "Create notebook in <stack name>...". I think that should do it for you.

ok, found another thing that i may be doing wrong, but is quite irritating.  i want to add a notebook to an existing stack.  do i have to add a general notebook first, then move it to an existing stack?  i would like to be able to right click on an existing stack, and then add a notebook below.

If you have an existing stack, you should be able to right click on it (or any notebook in that stack), and select "Create notebook in <stack name>...". I think that should do it for you.

Thank you Jefito...that did it :)  i wonder how i missed that?

• 3 months later...

Archived